Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

I don't think anyone actually expected Man Utd to be in the title race under OGS this season like

It's more a comment on the Premier League's dip in quality this season. If Solskjaer can have a team in its title race, then it can't be good.

If Pep could win the La Liga with Barcelona, there couldn't have been good quality teams competing.

I don't think anyone actually expected Man Utd to be in the title race under OGS this season like

It's more a comment on the Premier League's dip in quality this season. If Solskjaer can have a team in its title race, then it can't be good.

I do not want to comment on Ole's ability in this statement, but Man U is on pace to finish with less points than they did in 2017-18 and have less points after 19 matchdays than they did in that season as well. They are on good form at this moment, but I caution anyone drawing long term conclusions from any of this. Peaks and troughs have been the normal situation for this club since Ferguson left, the difference being there is no dominant side in 2020-21. This season is still anyone's to take and the fixture list will only get more ludicrous going forward. I genuinely believe any club in the top ten could find themselves in or out of the "title race" with a couple of positive or negative results in a row.

This is the issue I have. It doesn't matter what Ole does. Will never ever get any credit.

If he wins the league I’ll hold my hands up. Mid-way through a season though where anyone in the top 5 could finish anywhere in those top 5 positions (I think Man City will win it), he’s doing what you’d expect any non-shit manager would do with that squad and budget. I reckon if you had any other manager in the top 6, that squad would win the title this year, as it stands, I reckon 3rd-4th still.

If he wins the league I’ll hold my hands up. Mid-way through a season though where anyone in the top 5 could finish anywhere in those top 5 positions (I think Man City will win it), he’s doing what you’d expect any non-shit manager would do with that squad and budget. I reckon if you had any other manager in the top 6, that squad would win the title this year, as it stands, I reckon 3rd-4th still.

We did have another one of those managers in the top 6 remember.

Guest neesy111

OGS is doing a good job at the moment.  Lets wait and see till end of the season.  We've seen this before haven't we, go on a good/very good run and then a shocking set of form happens.....  Needs to win a trophy with that side.

OGS is doing a good job at the moment.  Lets wait and see till end of the season.  We've seen this before haven't we, go on a good/very good run and then a shocking set of form happens.....  Needs to win a trophy with that side.

Totally agree, he should be winning something with the best squad in the league

I don’t post in here much, so can’t comment on others. But within my group of friends, where there are plenty of Man U fans (obviously). It’s been said for ages that player for player, you have the best squad in the league, bar City. Not all of them agree, of course. But the depth is certainly there and the money has been spent. Not always wisely, mind! Defence has always seemed the suspect area. But that has looked pretty good for the most part, from what I’ve seen.

I think for a good while. OGS was underachieving with that squad. As it stands, I think he is overachieving. If they win the league then 100% that is an overachievement.

Yeah have to say, it does look like a few have just flipped their argument around.

You have to give credit to OGS. Yes they have a strong squad but you have to get them playing and winning games. Many on here I seem to remember were critical of their defense and pogba etc.

But he has got it working at the moment. Not sure even the players or OGS truely believe they will win the league but they have done well to put a bit of a run together when others were dropping points.

I do find it a bit rich that you ( Froggy[/member] ) constantly feel the need to get one up on Newcastle fans who are currently having to deal with a club owned by Mike Ashley and managed by Steve Bruce :lol:

I think it's a safe bet that a number of posts about Ole/Man United are simply over the top because people are pissed off with a Man United fan belittling them on a Newcastle forum? The majority of us probably don't even give a shit about that end of the table these days, football's pretty pointless to a lot of us.

Anyway, hope Leicester win the league, or Spurs. Don't really care though. We don't even play on the same planet, let alone the same league.

I think it's a safe bet that a number of posts about Ole/Man United are simply over the top because people are pissed off with a Man United fan belittling them on a Newcastle forum? The majority of us probably don't even give a shit about that end of the table these days, football's pretty pointless to a lot of us.

Pretty much, nobody has any beef with brummie on here and we've been closer to them than Man Utd  in recent years

I do find it a bit rich that you ( Froggy[/member] ) constantly feel the need to get one up on Newcastle fans who are currently having to deal with a club owned by Mike Ashley and managed by Steve Bruce :lol:

Anyway, hope Leicester win the league, or Spurs. Don't really care though. We don't even play on the same planet, let alone the same league.

Amen.

Pretty much, nobody has any beef with brummie on here and we've been closer to them than Man Utd  in recent years

Exactly.

Exactly.

It's Froggy that gets wound up by posters on here tbh. In general he tends to post fairly straightforward posts until someone pokes the hornets nest and he goes defensive. It's part of why I get as annoyed with this particular issue as I do, Froggy's a good guy. The other being that facts just go out the window due to the (understod) hatred of OGS. Of all managers to have had a full time manager job in the PL, he's currently 9th overall in win percentage - yet he's doing shit. If you take away managers with less than 100 games, he's 7th overall. What more can the guy do?

There’s probably not many managers who’ve had the resources OGS has had either.

He took over a team in 6th, 19 points off the top, they ended the season in 6th but 32 points off the top. He then spent £200m and just sneaked 4th ahead of Leicester. Things are going well this season, if he wins the league, brilliant. The bare minimum any manager should have them is top 4 which is what I’d expect, but it’s by no means a guarantee with Man City, Leicester, Liverpool & Spurs within touching distance. Finishing top 2 would be exceeding expectations, anything else and it’s the bare minimum you’d expect.

Exactly.

It's Froggy that gets wound up by posters on here tbh. In general he tends to post fairly straightforward posts until someone pokes the hornets nest and he goes defensive. It's part of why I get as annoyed with this particular issue as I do, Froggy's a good guy. The other being that facts just go out the window due to the (understod) hatred of OGS. Of all managers to have had a full time manager job in the PL, he's currently 9th overall in win percentage - yet he's doing shit. If you take away managers with less than 100 games, he's 7th overall. What more can the guy do?

Extremely rare I ever have a pop without being provoked to be honest. People bringing up about Brummie but there isn't the same animosity between the clubs at all. A lot of people in denial if they don't think there's more of an obsession with Man United on here than Villa. When we lose there's a ton of people on here lining up to have a snipe, that doesn't happen with Brummie/Neil etc. and if it didn't happen with me you wouldn't get the retaliation that you do.

I also don't understand the hatred of Ole at all. Is it genuinely because he committed an essential foul on Rob Lee? Any player would have done the same. He put his teams title bid ahead of his own season. I feel if that was the other way round he'd be saluted as heroic.

There’s probably not many managers who’ve had the resources OGS has had either.

He took over a team in 6th, 19 points off the top, they ended the season in 6th but 32 points off the top. He then spent £200m and just sneaked 4th ahead of Leicester. Things are going well this season, if he wins the league, brilliant. The bare minimum any manager should have them is top 4 which is what I’d expect, but it’s by no means a guarantee with Man City, Leicester, Liverpool & Spurs within touching distance. Finishing top 2 would be exceeding expectations, anything else and it’s the bare minimum you’d expect.

Resources or minimum expectations were never in the discussion when Ole took over. He was laughed at, we were laughed at, and it was predicted we would still be mid-table and he would sacked after a brief spell. It was said we had a shite team. Pogba was shite. Maguire was shite (even I said this). Shaw was shite. People now go back on those statements saying "he's doing the bare minimum with that squad etc." There's playing in that squad playing better than they've done for any other Man United manager. He deserves credit.

Top 4 is the minimum expectation that we expect though. He doesn't get a free pass. If he was in Lampard's position he would be sacked. Lampard is also a great example of what a poor manager does with a good squad that has just spent £250m. Resources/squad ability means jack shit if the manager is poor. Ole is not a poor manager, and he has proven that.

Still fucking bleating on about it. Dear me, getting to NE5 esque levels this.

Two lads in tears and wanting to commit a war crime because a group of unrelated people won’t praise their hero who they love. Repeat 1-2 per week.

There's been plenty of animosity between us and Villa

They chanted when you were relegated, that's pretty much the extent of it no?

Still fucking bleating on about it. Dear me, getting to NE5 esque levels this.

Two lads in tears and wanting to commit a war crime because a group of unrelated people won’t praise their hero who they love. Repeat 1-2 per week.

Two lads just calling people out on their shite you mean.