Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

Just now, Stifler said:

It’s a foul because of the follow through, but I don’t think it’s a red card.

I don’t see what was significant about the follow through? His foot touched Vardy’s foot, it wasn’t a high or a hard tackle. If that is a foul then sliding tackles should just be outlawed.

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It’s a foul because of the follow through, but I don’t think it’s a red card.

How should Vestergaard have stopped the follow through?

Vestergaard has clearly caught him with the follow through and fouled him as he's about to run on to the loose ball. I seem to be in the minority but I think it's definitely a free kick and, due to where it's happened, it's probably a red too. Not sure what Redknapp and Bent are on about, he's fouled him with the follow through even though he's won the ball. You can't just ignore what happens after he's touched the ball?

2 minutes ago, midds said:

Vestergaard has clearly caught him with the follow through and fouled him as he's about to run on to the loose ball. I seem to be in the minority but I think it's definitely a free kick and, due to where it's happened, it's probably a red too. Not sure what Redknapp and Bent are on about, he's fouled him with the follow through even though he's won the ball. You can't just ignore what happens after he's touched the ball?

The commentators said it had been confirmed the red was given for denying a goalscoring opportunity, not for the nature of the tackle. If you're giving it for that, it absolutely isn't a red, he clearly gets the ball first. Whether or not it could be a red for excessive force/foul play etc. is much more of a debate because of the follow through.

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

The commentators said it had been confirmed the red was given for denying a goalscoring opportunity, not for the nature of the tackle. If you're giving it for that, it absolutely isn't a red, he clearly gets the ball first. Whether or not it could be a red for excessive force/foul play etc. is much more of a debate because of the follow through.

Yeah I get that but if he doesn't catch him with the follow through then Vardy has a chance of getting to the loose ball and getting a shot off? But he doesn't get that chance because he's caught with the follow through. 

28 minutes ago, toon25 said:

He’s great, like. Incredibly insightful.

If I was one of the so called big 6, I would be looking to buy him or Grealish as both are highly instrumental in how their team performs. Both at a perfect age also. If we do get this takeover happening by some chance, they would be the first players I would love the club to look at.

Edited by et tu brute

He already plays for a club competing at top 6 level unless I've missed something.

Agree that both of them should be looked at as top targets for all ambitious and appropriately attractive clubs though :) Both excellent players.

(Just hope neither sign for the Scousers or Manure personally, would sully them.) 

2 hours ago, midds said:

Yeah I get that but if he doesn't catch him with the follow through then Vardy has a chance of getting to the loose ball and getting a shot off? But he doesn't get that chance because he's caught with the follow through. 

How can it possibly be denying a goal scoring opportunity if he makes a good tackle? Which is what it was.

Otherwise every tackle where the player wins the ball and then wipes out the man would be a free kick. 

It's obviously possible in today's game to both clearly win the ball and nail the man so much so that it's a bad tackle but I think Vestergaard gets so much of the ball much earlier than Vardy gets there that you can't give red for that.

I'm lost on the rules now tbh, and I think the refs are too. There was a couple of incidents in close succession a couple of months ago where they even looked at the screen and what looked like clear penalties were not given because of the teeniest touch on the ball that was almost imperceptible in slow motion.

The tackle in this video after 1:15 was looked at again and wasn't deemed a foul because of a touch on the ball, he absolutely cleans him out:

https://youtu.be/m2wRhgYQAxM