In memoriam

James

Before the 1966 World Cup, the training staff decided to lay on an athletics tournament amongst the England squad, just as a way of keeping them occupied. I think they had in mind doing it as a regular feature, but it didn't work out. No matter what the event - sprint, middle distance, long distance, high jump, long jump, shot put - Bobby Charlton would win. He was a really good athlete.

Sadly, yes, he did seem to have a chip on his shoulder. He seemed naturally shy and ill at ease in some contexts. It's said that Munich affected him badly. 

Met him at a Charity do in the late 90s, and as the old adage goes, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything nasty so I'll leave it there. A lot of people seem to have good things to say about him so maybe he was just having a bad day.

Also met his brother Jackie in Inventions (now the Crows Nest) on Percy Street and a nicer bloke you'd struggle to meet. I'll admit I was gutted when he died 3 years ago.

18 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Seemed a nice bloke and a genuine fan who tried his best for them. Pretty much the only decent thing about that loathsome club.

He was out for himself, and kept the club down just to keep himself going. 

On 21/10/2023 at 18:32, Tsunami said:

Brilliant footballer, may he rest in peace. Forgot his roots and he flew to Asia for a Man U game when he was told his mother was about to die. Says it all for me and it’s a hard take. When I was very young and went abroad, everybody knew Bobby Charlton. 

Papiss cisse Charlton. Canny player. She once scored at Chelsea with an incredible outside of the boot banana shot

• 1 month later...