In memoriam

James

6 hours ago, Wandy said:

Yeah, he was only 26 when commentating on the Hereford game v NUFC in 1972. Had an "old" voice right from the off.

Just googled Barry Davies and he is still around, thankfully. You could convincingly say he was the other voice of football alongside Motty but, due to his more relaxed style, probably won't be as easily remembered.

Brian Moore was the other voice of football for me.

This will sound bad but I saw on Twitter last night Blackpool posting a link to a statement with lots of 'RIP Tony' replies and was relieved it wasn't Tony Green. Not sure dad would have been able to handle the news at the minute, not sure he ever will, it'll hit him more than a family member passing away.

On 07/03/2023 at 13:37, Optimistic Nut said:

This will sound bad but I saw on Twitter last night Blackpool posting a link to a statement with lots of 'RIP Tony' replies and was relieved it wasn't Tony Green. Not sure dad would have been able to handle the news at the minute, not sure he ever will, it'll hit him more than a family member passing away.

Might sound harsh and a bit on the side of victim blaming but Tony went looking for a fight and he got one.

51 minutes ago, FCB said:

Might sound harsh and a bit on the side of victim blaming but Tony went looking for a fight and he got one.

Who was Tony? One of those involved in the trouble on the seafront after their Burnley game?

On 07/03/2023 at 13:37, Optimistic Nut said:

Alas, it could all have been so different.....

23 hours ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Who was Tony? One of those involved in the trouble on the seafront after their Burnley game?

Aye, was one of the ones who went to the opposition fans dedicated pub after the match looking for a fight - got punched/kicked (there's a video going around of it that isn't exactly clear) but you see him drop to the ground, looks like he smashed his head off the floor. RIP but look for the bark and you get the bite.

Edited by FCB

• 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

RIP Gordon McQueen. Liked him on Soccer Saturday with McLintock, Best, Marsh, etc back in the day.

Born a month after me, I remember him in a match we lost 3 - 0 at Elland road not long after the FA Cup final so must have been 75/76 season