Elliot Anderson

joeyt

On 06/05/2023 at 16:21, Viana said:

He’s an intriguing player.

When I compare him to our other wingers he lacks that same burst of speed. He’s clearly very technical, and at Bristol Rovers he seemed a decent finisher. If the chance to join Luton returns I’d be happy with that. There isn’t one way to develop a young player, but I don’t think sporadic cameos is going to move the needle for Anderson.

I'd agree that he looks a bit short of pace to be a wide player, but we don't seem able to give him the experience he needs further inside. With the pressure to get results in the elevated position that we're in, it's difficult to give such a young player the extra burden of responsibility that goes with that position. 

At the same time, it feels strange to be bringing in other players so that he can be loaned out. The competition for places would be even more fierce when he comes back.

Just a facet of modern Premiership football, I suppose. With the clubs at the top, you need to be exceptional - a Saka or a Foden - to break through from the ranks.

49 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I'd agree that he looks a bit short of pace to be a wide player, but we don't seem able to give him the experience he needs further inside. With the pressure to get results in the elevated position that we're in, it's difficult to give such a young player the extra burden of responsibility that goes with that position. 

At the same time, it feels strange to be bringing in other players so that he can be loaned out. The competition for places would be even more fierce when he comes back.

Just a facet of modern Premiership football, I suppose. With the clubs at the top, you need to be exceptional - a Saka or a Foden - to break through from the ranks.

:lol: someone needs to tell you that it stopped being the 'Premiership' 16 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: someone needs to tell you that it stopped being the 'Premiership' 16 years ago. 

You learn something every day. Surely that is a term many people still use? 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Let me know when we do. 

4 hours ago, Ronson333 said:

He’s shown just as much as Gordon for us despite his limited playing time, actually against Forest second half he played very well. Gordon has much more experience than him too at PL level.

I actually think he has shown more - on a technical level and in terms of decision making on the ball, admittedly based on a limited showing so far. Probably slower than Gordon although that pace hasn't been utilised effectively so far. Both have some good instincts when it comes to occupying space on the left. 

If it's correct that Anderson's best position long-term will be out wide then the Gordon signing makes even less sense. 

Always thought he looked tidy but nowt spectacular.

I'm not convinced he will be a PL quality player but will have a decent FL career. He will be 21 in November according to wiki so if he was going to make it he would have broken through and been a more regular player for us, his only real experience is at League 2 level

1 hour ago, NUFC said:

Always thought he looked tidy but nowt spectacular.

I'm not convinced he will be a PL quality player but will have a decent FL career. He will be 21 in November according to wiki so if he was going to make it he would have broken through and been a more regular player for us, his only real experience is at League 2 level

Think this is the wrong way of looking at his development. Footballers don’t develop linearly. Some are better at a younger age. 

he would have been out in loan in a championship club a couple years ago had Bruce decided to send him out. 

he still has good technical ability, and I think under Howe, he’ll come good. Not least because we need a certain amount of homegrown players for Europe.

7 hours ago, gbandit said:

Really wish we’d given this lad more minutes this season. In almost all of his cameos he’s looked raw but he’s also had moments of real quality. He’s such a direct player and if he’d had more time I’m sure he’d have been involved in goals both scoring and creating

Wish we got in another CM and Let this lad play regular football in the Championship. I’m sure he’s enjoyed the ride but it has been a bit of a wasted year In his career development. What is likely to be a 20-year career at best.  

If we can get a win against Leicester I'd love to see him given the last game to impress. I think like Gordon he's itching to do something, be it assist or goal, and once it comes I think it'll unleash him somewhat. 

he was good considering the context of it being his first significant game time at this level. His only real minutes before this have been in the 4th division but you’d never have known that watching him. He had the right ideas, for sure.