Elliot Anderson

joeyt

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If they thought he was ready for proper first-team football...they would've given him more first-team football this season. He was a distant last option in midfield and often in attack. 

It's like suggesting Targett will play a lot next season. No.. he's not that fancied and is likely to be upgraded and sold.

We played the same midfield three almost every week. If one of them was unavailable the first change was moving Joelinton to midfield. Seems harsh to judge him based on the fact he didn't break into the first XI when we have a manager who doesn't make a habit of unforced rotation.

This is also why it's hindsight to say he should have been on loan because of the minutes he got. We were very fortunate to get through most of the season playing some combination of the same 4 players almost every week. Anderson could have easily been needed more than he was.

5 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

We played the same midfield three almost every week. If one of them was unavailable the first change was moving Joelinton to midfield. Seems harsh to judge him based on the fact he didn't break into the first XI when we have a manager who doesn't make a habit of unforced rotation.

This is also why it's hindsight to say he should have been on loan because of the minutes he got. We were very fortunate to get through most of the season playing some combination of the same 4 players almost every week. Anderson could have easily been needed more than he was.

Anderson simply was not a serious option to Howe. ASM had at least 7 matches where he didn't start but got 10+ minutes off the bench. Anderson only got 10+ minutes off the bench 5 times.. The vast majority of his minutes were less than 10 minutes. He's not going to develop a bunch doing that.

It's not hindsight. Many of us said all season long he needed to go on loan for his development. We only kept him because we refused to sign stop gaps and ended up gambling on light midfield options.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Anderson simply was not a serious option to Howe. ASM had at least 7 matches where he didn't start but got 10+ minutes off the bench. Anderson only got 10+ minutes off the bench 5 times.. The vast majority of his minutes were less than 10 minutes. He's not going to develop a bunch doing that.

It's not hindsight. Many of us said all season long he needed to go on loan for his development. We only kept him because we refused to sign stop gaps and ended up gambling on light midfield options.

No, I know many wanted him to go on loan. I think I tended to agree. But I don't think it's fair now to point to his minutes and say "see.." As you say, we couldn't just send him out on loan and do nothing. We would have needed to bring someone in for cover (or alternatively it would have prevented us from selling Shelvey).

I agree if we do bring in two first team quality CMs then he should go on loan. I'm not convinced that's going to happen though - I think it's very likely to just be one and then maybe a second who's a youngster.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what's wrong with this guy. There's time when newcastle comfortably lead the game, and instead this youngster who need experience, deadwood like Manquilo and Lewis subbed in instead 

8 minutes ago, Hantu said:

I wonder what's wrong with this guy. There's time when newcastle comfortably lead the game, and instead this youngster who need experience, deadwood like Manquilo and Lewis subbed in instead 

Eh? He came on many more times than they did 

7 minutes ago, Hantu said:

Yes, I know. I just wonder why when it's safe, it's not him instead of them subbed in 

In the league Lewis appeared against:

Fulham (A) 
Chelsea (A) 

In the league Manquillo appeared against:

Southampton (A)  
West Ham (A) 
Spurs (H) 
Brighton (H) 

Anderson featured in all of those games apart from Spurs at home. 

5 hours ago, Hantu said:

:mung: