Joe Willock

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've seen it, he gets there. Whether you think it's half arsed or not is by the by really.

It wasn't half arsed, it was just half a second slow. He got there, but he didn't get there in time to do anything else. If he gets his feet in position he can flick out a toe to deflect it.

I really don't thin it's a lack of effort on his part, I just think he's a little unfocused.

Criticising Willock for not being arsed is a bit silly like, his main attributes to the team are his work rate and his ability to carry the ball at speed. He’s a bit like Murphy in that he’s better when he doesn’t have time to think though.

I don’t think he’s suited to a game like that, where we dominate possession and are trying to break down a very good defensive unit, and his role going forwards should be from the bench until he improves his all round game imo (he’s only just turned 23, so although he’s getting on there’s definitely still time to tighten aspects of his game up).

3 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I'm pretty sure he hooked the ball away from Pope trying to grab it, would have been in his hands otherwise.

The ball was pinballing in a tiny space he was just trying to clear it on instinct. Just bad luck really if you look at it rationally.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Needs to get on the ball more and add some composure to his passing game.

That's quite a lot he needs to add considering he's a midfielder. I'm far from convinced by him.

I can see he was tiring in the final third of the game, that much is true, but he was still running back and forward getting in position. making blocks. He gets a lot of criticism of what he does wrong, but that's ignoring how he shows good composure on the ball at times and works it into good possession taking the ball out of defence with a cool head. He's improving game on game for me.

It is unbelievable that this boy scored 8 goals in 14 matches at one point. He looks lost with the ball at his feet, in every part of the pitch. Misplaced passes, consistently rubbish clearances, and hesitant in attacking positions. His workrate and athleticism make him an "OK" player at this level, but overall very disappointing since signing permanently.

Well I'm glad I'm not going crazy.

From the Tranmere and Wolves games I've been lamenting this guy's contributions. For the most part he just doesn't do anything for us when we have the ball. And off the ball, though he does press well, when it comes time to make a challenge he usually whiffs and just runs past the player or shies away from contact.

He's never in position to play anyone in or get a shot off. He's just completely lost out there. Longstaff who was playing deeper managed to find that great position to play Isak in for a wonderful goal. However, if you look back at it, that position is exactly where Willock should be really. Instead he is way out on the left for some reason.

If we end up having to start this guy the majority of the season then we will suffer for it. If we don't get a midfielder in, once Bruno comes back and slots into that deeper position, we have to put Longstaff in the RCM slot. I have far more faith in him finding a pass or getting in position to shoot, and when he's in position to tackle, he will actually do so.

10 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Lots of hard work, never stopped running, but we need to either play him off the bench or find his true position.

He's never a central midfielder that is for absolute certain.

He loves making those forward runs and when in position to do so can put the ball in the net. Honestly, I wish at this point we'd try him in that wide right position.

I'd rather see Almiron at RCM and Willock RW at this point. Think both would benefit.