Joe Willock

Just now, 80 said:

But we're never the same without unsung hero Longstaff right?

Never been so spoilt for choice :laugh:

That's the thing i can't wait to observe! Like, that was the biggest shock from last season for me. I wanted Longstaff out of the team asap because I felt like he was a passenger, meanwhile he's the hook everything fucking hangs off of. Is Tonali the gold plated version of that hook, or will Longstaff intangibles his way back into the 11?

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

If Willock figures out where the net is, he's very very close to living in the 11, imo. Especially as that link with Isak develops.

Yep, as I say, that's the career changer for him. Think it could be the difference between finishing at West Ham and winning the Champion's League.

Edited by 80

13 minutes ago, James said:

Depending on the Anderson/Miley outcome this season, he may be next year’s ASM I reckon

Can’t see it - he’s about 2 years from being in his prime still 

42 minutes ago, Mike said:

If Willock figures out where the net is, he's very very close to living in the 11, imo. Especially as that link with Isak develops.

Scored in seven consecutive games to end the 20/21 season. What a run that was.

In response to @James:

Yeah, that's my thinking also, although I find it harsh to categorise him alongside ASM. For all his qualities, ASM never really felt like he fitted into our new ways, whereas Willock largely does. We're now at the stage of picking favourites between demonstrably good players, in this part of the pitch.

Am I correct that FFP - crazily enough - incentivises us to sell Anderson or Miley over Willock?

Edited by 80

Just now, rebelrouser said:

Scored in seven consecutive games to end the 20/21 season. What a run that was.

He's definitely got finishing in his locker, his technique is sweet. But he should have been in double figures last season and was nowhere near. We would've been battling Arsenal if he and Longstaff had put away the goals they should've.

5 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Can’t see it - he’s about 2 years from being in his prime still 

So are just about every midfielder we've got though... Unless we're not planning any signings in this area for the next two or three seasons, we're going to get very over stocked...

I think Anderson will be the odd man out, personally (eventually).

Shame as I love seeing academy lads coming through to the 1st team. Just think Anderson’s touch is that fraction short of Prem quality. He always looks like he’s on the edge of his ability/control to me.

Nothing but good to say about his attitude and engine. If he was ridiculously pacy I’d think he’d stay. No substitute for that. But, in the absence of I think the whole Anderson package is just a couple of % points below a top 6 Prem squad requirement.

Reckon we develop him further and look to sell as an FFP bumper next summer. Think our squad is weak enough he stays this year.

5 minutes ago, 80 said:

So are just about every midfielder we've got though... Unless we're not planning any signings in this area for the next two or three seasons, we're going to get very over stocked...

I think Miggy and Wilson will be sold next 

Murphy might hang around for a few years still 

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Shame as I love seeing academy lads coming through to the 1st team. Just think Anderson’s touch is that fraction short of Prem quality. He always looks like he’s on the edge of his ability/control to me.

Nothing but good to say about his attitude and engine. If he was ridiculously pacy I’d think he’d stay. No substitute for that. But, in the absence of I think the whole Anderson package is just a couple of % points below a top 6 Prem squad requirement.

Reckon we develop him further and look to sell as an FFP bumper next summer. Think our squad is weak enough he stays this year.

Next summer - isn’t the initial 160m we spent wiped out due to the rolling 3 years? We won’t need to sell anyone

11 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Next summer - isn’t the initial 160m we spent wiped out due to the rolling 3 years? We won’t need to sell anyone

We’re virtually always going have to sell someone, just about everyone does to some extent.

The key is to get to the position Man City are in where they can shift the likes of a Sterling or a Jesus, and the squad is that good they replace them almost seamlessly.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Aye. Anderson has a lot of development to do to become a PL player.  Technically, physically and mentally. And he won’t develop to his potential playing for 10 minutes 20 times next season.  

As an 8, Willocks athleticism is at an elite level. That’s something most teams won’t have in that area of the pitch. 

Willock was a few goals away from having a legitimately elite season. He was absolutely critical to us in all phases of play tbh. I do find it a bit frustrating that people seem to just assume he’s some odd man out because Elliot or Miley come on well in preseason AND that Joelinton gets in over him 9 out of 10 times. I don’t think it’s that cut and dry anymore. We have options now 

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Willock was a few goals away from having a legitimately elite season. He was absolutely critical to us in all phases of play tbh. I do find it a bit frustrating that people seem to just assume he’s some odd man out because Elliot or Miley come on well in preseason AND that Joelinton gets in over him 9 out of 10 times. I don’t think it’s that cut and dry anymore. We have options now 

My point is someone will be. Agreed we have options now, and we need them too if we want to compete on multiple fronts. But we're also not the finished article - and if we're gonna want to bring in one or two even better players over the next twelve months, I don't think there's any way we could do that and still carry all the candidates we have now. It wouldn't be right by the players among other things.

Maybe Anderson gets sold and Miley proves to have just been on a freakish hot streak and the question goes away, but neither is looking very likely just at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...