Joe Willock

Do we think Isak coming into the first 11 would effectively push Willock out of the side when Wilson is fit? Or Almiron? If Pedro comes as well then I would expect both Almiron and Willock to be out of the first 11 when Wilson is fit. Going to be really interesting to see how we line up. I still really like Willock and think he has a lot to offer but he would fall down the pecking order significantly with a couple of these signings 

On 16/08/2022 at 10:30, Mahoneys Tache said:

Henry was a right (?) sided player when Wenger bought him iirc but the genius frenchie put him up front and the rest is history. 

He played wing back for Monaco against us in the late 90s

Just now, gbandit said:

Do we think Isak coming into the first 11 would effectively push Willock out of the side when Wilson is fit? Or Almiron? If Pedro comes as well then I would expect both Almiron and Willock to be out of the first 11 when Wilson is fit. Going to be really interesting to see how we line up. I still really like Willock and think he has a lot to offer but he would fall down the pecking order significantly with a couple of these signings 

Willock is a midfielder though, I don't see how Pedro or Isak are a replacement for him. Surely they would be threatening Miggy's RW spot more likely?

Just now, TRon said:

Willock is a midfielder though, I don't see how Pedro or Isak are a replacement for him. Surely they would be threatening Miggy's RW spot more likely?

Willock plays in a more advanced midfield role. Both Pedro and Isak drop short and drive at defences from early into the opposition half, I could see them playing on the right or in an advanced midfield role behind Wilson, playing across the line 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

He's not contributing much tbh, stick Miggy in his place and we look like this in attack.

Bruno

Trips Almiron Joelinton ASM

Isak Wilson

or

Bruno Joelinton

Trips      Almiron     ASM

Isak Wilson

or

Bruno

Trips      Almiron   Joelinton

Isak   Wilson   ASM

58 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

He's not contributing much tbh, stick Miggy in his place and we look like this in attack.

Bruno

Trips Almiron Joelinton ASM

Isak Wilson

or

Bruno Joelinton

Trips      Almiron     ASM

Isak Wilson

or

Bruno

Trips      Almiron   Joelinton

Isak   Wilson   ASM

Not sure it's as simple as that, a midfielder's role is a little bit different to a forward's and requires a different skillset. It's a bit similar when people expect a ball playing defender to play in midfield, not quite the same in the maelstrom of a PL midfield.

15 hours ago, TRon said:

Not sure it's as simple as that, a midfielder's role is a little bit different to a forward's and requires a different skillset. It's a bit similar when people expect a ball playing defender to play in midfield, not quite the same in the maelstrom of a PL midfield.

I've offered 3 different shapes that we can utilise with that team and you accuse me of simplicity.

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I've offered 3 different shapes that we can utilise with that team and you accuse me of simplicity.

Willock is a midfielder, Almiron is more of a number 10 type forward. Not sure even Willock is a midfielder in the proper sense of the term, but he can probably put his foot in a bit more than Almiron. Anyway it's not worth arguing the toss, I would imagine they'll both be replaced soon enough.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Willock is a midfielder, Almiron is more of a number 10 type forward. Not sure even Willock is a midfielder in the proper sense of the term, but he can probably put his foot in a bit more than Almiron. Anyway it's not worth arguing the toss, I would imagine they'll both be replaced soon enough.

I'm not asking Almiron to do anything different to what he does now. He, Trippier and Bruno are a very effective triangle for attacking down the right wing. Just his starting position and defensive duties change. I'd also argue that Willock is not a midfielder.

I thought he was quite good today. Lots of runs and recoveries. He is never gonna be a playmaker so maybe looked worse because none of our midfielders on the pitch today are.

Should have scored though.

39 minutes ago, nortoon said:

I thought he was quite good today. Lots of runs and recoveries. He is never gonna be a playmaker so maybe looked worse because none of our midfielders on the pitch today are.

Should have scored though.

Did he really want to block the shot that lead to the Wolves goal?

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Let himself down with that weak attempt at a block. In general did Joe Willock stuff.  Which is decent physicality when the game is end to end but poor on the ball. 

It looked a half hearted attempt to block the shot with more emphasis on getting out the way,resulting in him running past the scorer.

2 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

It looked a half hearted attempt to block the shot with more emphasis on getting out the way,resulting in him running past the scorer.

Yeh it was half hearted. 

If Willock is to be a good player for us he has to be a Lionheart 99% of the time. That wasn’t good enough.  He was also too deep initially. 

Thats Particularly poor because it’s Neves. Like the one player in their team you should close down properly on the edge of the area it’s him. Willock should know that. 

Edited by The College Dropout

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Yeh it was half hearted. 

If Willock is to be a good player for us he has to be a Lionheart 99% of the time. That wasn’t good enough.  He was also too deep initially. 

Thats Particularly poor because it’s Neves. Like the one player in their team you should close down properly on the edge of the area it’s him. Willock should know that. 

I’ve just watched  footage from behind the goal and it looks like he had no intention of blocking the ball.He get’s out of the way by running to his left.Sorry.No place for that.

1 minute ago, tomlynnherrington said:

I’ve just watched  footage from behind the goal and it looks like he had no intention of blocking the ball.He get’s out of the way by running to his left.Sorry.No place for that.

He plays with that same casual energy all game.

It's the same casual lazy effort he makes in showing for the ball too.

The guy is a passenger.

I don't think he's great in a 3 like how we setup. We looked much more balanced with Shelvey sitting and Bruno as an 8. 

Leaves some massive gaps at times just running way out of position when you're wanting him to show for the ball. He can press well high up the pitch but any further back and he doesn't seem to sense the danger or track players as well as he should in that role. 

And FWIW I think he was class in both the Forest and Man City matches, poor (along with pretty much everyone) against Brighton, and good today aside from his miss.

We have a bigger concern: the drop in quality when Bruno's out. Hopefully we can bring in a new CM or DM to make up for it like we did with Isak.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

I don't think he's great in a 3 like how we setup. We looked much more balanced with Shelvey sitting and Bruno as an 8. 

Leaves some massive gaps at times just running way out of position when you're wanting him to show for the ball. He can press well high up the pitch but any further back and he doesn't seem to sense the danger or track players as well as he should in that role. 

Yeah, I think he's a number 10 attacking midfielder, and specifically one that constantly looks to make runs into the box, so would ideally be paired with a striker that looks to drop into space, so he can then make runs off them.