Joe Willock

1 hour ago, Rod said:

Look I know this is just your opinion but it honestly smacks of someone who hasn't played the game.  This bloke is remarkable and when the whole squad is fit he will still be in the starting eleven.  He has just terrorised the Man Utd defence and midfield who have a plethora of internationals

in their team.  What exactly do you not see?

I don’t get why you guys are surprised by me pointing out that Willock isn’t a starter material for a top 4 team. I am actually surprised that you guys think otherwise. He is a starter for an 8th-12th team for sure though. Actually saying that he terrorised the Man Utd defence today is just a stretch IMO. I mean, even though he scored a goal, he still got the lowest score among our midfielders today in Safascore and such algorithms.

Arsenal let him go because he wasn’t good enough for them even when they weren’t as good as they are now. He joined us in the Ashley days when the ambition was to become a mid table team. Probably the most important skill a midfielder should have in a top 4 team is excellent decision making, and that is something that he really lacks. His passes and vision are also average for an EPL player. He can carry the ball forward in a straight line and an empty space, but then place him in a crowded area and suddenly he does not add much or he would simple lose the ball. He presses well and wins the ball back, but again that’s more of the way Eddie plays than anything else. Even Isak presses all the time now, and any midfielder who will join in the summer will do that for sure. His finishing leaves much to be desired this season. Anyway I look at it, he is simply a mid table player.  Having played well for the last three games does not mean much in the big picture, even Murphy did that. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts for our team right now. 

let’s not be biased folks, go tell any neutral EPL fan that Willock should be a starter for a top 4 team and they would probably laugh. He would probably lose his starting position now once Joelinton is back. 

Edited by Solitude20

1 minute ago, Solitude20 said:

let’s not be biased folks, go tell any neutral EPL fan that Willock should be a started for a top 4 team and they would probably laugh.

He is a starter for a top 4 team.

2 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

LOL believe me I played the game a lot, I have been playing it for all of my life, and I still do. but this isn’t about me. This is you guys getting surprised by me pointing out that Willock isn’t a starter material for a top 4 team. I am actually surprised that you guys think otherwise. He is a stater for an 8th-12th team for sure though. Actually saying that he terrorised the Man Utd defence today makes me wonder if you have played the game. I mean, even though he scored a goal, he still got the lowest score among our midfielders today in Safascore and such algorithms.

Arsenal let him go because he wasn’t good enough for them even when they weren’t as good as they are now. He joined us in the Ashley days when the ambition was to become a mid table team. Probably the most important skill a midfielder should have in a top 4 team is excellent decision making, and that is something that he really lacks. His passes and vision are also average for an EPL player. He can carry the ball forward in a straight line and an empty space, but then place him in a crowded area and suddenly he does not add much or he would simple lose the ball. He presses well and wins the ball back, but again that’s more of the way Eddie plays than anything else. Even Isak presses all the time now, and any midfielder who will join in the summer will do that for sure. His finishing leaves much to be desired this season. Anyway I look at it, he is simply a mid table player.  Having played well for the last three games does not mean much in the big picture, even Murphy did that. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts for our team right now. 

let’s not be biased folks, go tell any neutral EPL fan that Willock should be a started for a top 4 team and they would probably laugh. He would probably lose his starting position now once Joelinton is back. 

He starts for us who is 3rd. 

2 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

LOL believe me I played the game a lot, I have been playing it for all of my life, and I still do. but this isn’t about me. This is you guys getting surprised by me pointing out that Willock isn’t a starter material for a top 4 team. I am actually surprised that you guys think otherwise. He is a stater for an 8th-12th team for sure though. Actually saying that he terrorised the Man Utd defence today makes me wonder if you have played the game. I mean, even though he scored a goal, he still got the lowest score among our midfielders today in Safascore and such algorithms.

let’s not be biased folks, go tell any neutral EPL fan that Willock should be a started for a top 4 team and they would probably laugh. He would probably lose his starting position now once Joelinton is back. 

Wtf is this crock of shit? 

5 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

I don’t get why you guys are surprised by me pointing out that Willock isn’t a starter material for a top 4 team. I am actually surprised that you guys think otherwise. He is a starter for an 8th-12th team for sure though. Actually saying that he terrorised the Man Utd defence today is just a stretch IMO. I mean, even though he scored a goal, he still got the lowest score among our midfielders today in Safascore and such algorithms.

let’s not be biased folks, go tell any neutral EPL fan that Willock should be a starter for a top 4 team and they would probably laugh. He would probably lose his starting position now once Joelinton is back. 

Christ, one of the worst takes I’ve read on here in a while.

Thought he had another great game today. Despite missing some easy chances, he is always getting himself into dangerous positions. He has a great turn of pace with the ball and that allows us to turn defence into attack so easily. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Did he pick up an injury or was it just cramp?

Suspect (and hope) it was just fatigue. Certainly didn’t look totally done in when he went off.

4 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Alright then, tell you what guys. Let’s see if we make it to UCL next season and he is still our starter, then all of your drinks for the 1st Champions League match are on me. 

:tino:

He has excellent fundamentals and is getting better. His return from injury has coincided with us winning games again, and that's not by chance. Scoring as many goals as his xG would take him and our team to another level. He is 23, a lovely lad, and has much more to come.

I don't know what is complicated about this.

I really appreciate everything he does. He is one of the players i would like to build the squad around BUT maan does he miss chances every other game like that. Really frustrating, but on the other side of it, he keeps going and saves the day woth a goal here and there.

If he focuses on polishing that then we have a better version of a Kieron Dyer. 

4 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

Flying all over the pitch = worthy starter for a top 4 EPL team. Is that rational to you? murphy and Longstaff were as involved as he was today, does that mean we should keep them for UCL next season.

Go check the transfer thread, most of the players we have been linked with are players that could easily be snatched by the top 6 or top European clubs. Can you say the same about Willock? Can you even imagine Liverpool or Chelsea being interested in Willock? The difference in technical ability and overall play between their midfielders and Willock is HUGE.

The future backbone of our team: Bruno, Isak, and Botman. They all players who could play in top teams if theh keep improving. If we officially make it to UCL next season, then you would expect our owners would want us to stay there every season. The starting midfield would probably be: Bruno + Joelinton + a new player. In a couple of years it would be: Bruno + 2 new players. 

I don’t get why you are getting worked up for just saying our ambition for next season should be above what Willock could offer. This is like saying Wilson should start for us next season. We are a different team now with different ambitions. 

EPL + UCL. Up the super league mags