Joe Willock

Friendly reminder that even the best players in the world misses chances regularly every game. This isn't the team that has 30% possession and 1 or 2 shots on goal pr game. We can afford to miss chances without it being a big deal now. :) 

If there was one thing I'd like Willock to work on (or work more on? He's doing this less and less frequently) is to improve his concentration. He has these small moment in every game where he reacts to situations incredibly late which looks so bad and/or lazy (which he certainly isn't based on his over all contribution in every game), or makes a really sloppy pass that loses us possession. It's like his mind wonders off to a different place for a short period and suddenly he snaps back into reality :lol:

Edited by Conjo

9 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Friendly reminder that even the best players in the world misses chances regularly every game. This isn't the team that has 30% possession and 1 or 2 shots on goal pr game. We can afford to miss chances without it being a big deal now. :) 

If there was one thing I'd like Willock to work on (or work more on? He's doing this less and less frequently) is to improve his concentration. He has these small moment in every game where he reacts to situations incredibly late which looks so bad and/or lazy (which he certainly isn't based on his over all contribution in every game), or makes a really sloppy pass that loses us possession. It's like his mind wonders off to a different place for a short period and suddenly he snaps back into reality :lol:

Wasn’t long ago you’d have to routinely wait maybe 35 mins to get a sniff of a chance at goal. Happens all the time now ?

It's quite strange that during his loan spell he was pretty much finishing all sorts of chances but his all round game was fairly anonymous (Bruce ball I guess), whereas now his all round game has significantly improved but he's missing a fair amount of chances 

Still, overall he was brilliant and has been for a while 

5 hours ago, Conjo said:

Agree with this. He seems heavy footed at times. Or like he’s been struck down with the Titus Bramble “what’s for tea tonight” brain fart. Then he comes back round to reality and starts moving again. Might just be tired after getting through a POWER™️ of running. 

He has been immense since missing a game or two with injury. His energy levels, pace and ability to get in the right areas both sides of the pitch. Are so important to us as a team and are something I reckon I took for granted. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Agree with this. He seems heavy footed at times. Or like he’s been struck down with the Titus Bramble “what’s for tea tonight” brain fart. Then he comes back round to reality and starts moving again. Might just be tired after getting through a POWER™️ of running. 

He has been immense since missing a game or two with injury. His energy levels, pace and ability to get in the right areas both sides of the pitch. Are so important to us as a team and are something I reckon I took for granted. 

Missed his ability to drive the ball forward to relief the pressure from the backline. Think he deserves a call up if he keeps up the form however I don't think he will suit the way the national team play and won't stand out with his performances as you'd expect from a debutant. This is due to him being more of a explosive midfielder rather than a technical one. Definitely think he could change a game from the bench though rather than a starter.

Edited by CPL

10 hours ago, TRon said:

Willock plays the game at high pace which makes the intricate stuff that much harder. But he doesn't waste time on unnecessary tricks which means it's really effective when it comes off.

Spot on.  I think this is the point which is lost.  The lad can finish - we’ve seen it - but sometimes the loss of a bit of composure is the price paid for balls-to-the-wall athleticism in play (unless you’re some like C Ronaldo or peak Bale etc - but then you’re in the highest bracket of all).

It’s mystery to me as to how he hasn’t made an England squad this season

10 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

Alright then, tell you what guys. Let’s see if we make it to UCL next season and he is still our starter, then all of your drinks for the 1st Champions League match are on me. 

I saw Andy Griffin score a Champions League winning goal vs Juventus in person - trust me, Willock is a level above him.  

Edited by TheBrownBottle

12 hours ago, Rod said:

But then you follow It up with "the sitters" he's missed.  You don't like him, don't rate him and never will.  You want Jack Colback back don't you?

Missi g sitters has been a problem for a while, him, Joelinton and Longstaff. Willock has probably been our best player since the turn of the year and should be complaining about not even being mentioned for the England squad.

Nah I don't rate him ffs.

12 hours ago, Rod said:

Edited by madras

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I saw Andy Griffin score a Champions League winning goal vs Juventus in person - trust me, Willock is a level above him.  

Own goal from Buffon

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It is the oddest criticism mind.  ‘Bet he’s shite against teams in the CL if they qualify next year’.  MOTM against Man Utd and Chelsea, who are comfortably better than at least 80% of teams in that competition. 

Spot on. 

Aresnal, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea all have teams filled with CL level players and he's been superb against the vast majority of them so saying that he wouldn't be able to do it against the better teams from Europe makes no sense.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Spot on.  I think this is the point which is lost.  The lad can finish - we’ve seen it - but sometimes the loss of a bit of composure is the price paid for balls-to-the-wall athleticism in play (unless you’re some like C Ronaldo or peak Bale etc - but then you’re in the highest bracket of all).

It’s mystery to me as to how he hasn’t made an England squad this season

I think it's a bit early for him to be making the England squad, still lacks that touch of composure in some situations, but crucially for me, he's getting better season on season. You get the feeling he's on the brink of scoring back to back goals, and when that happens I think you'll see a surge of confidence which will take his game to the next level. He's showing glimpses of it this season, and he's got the potential to be a very special player once he makes that breakthrough.

I think Willock could be in the England squad soon for sure. We are lacking in midfield and Southgate likes the athletic, pressing types in there. Would be decent backup for Bellingham and a good option to bring on if you need a goal.

9 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

It's quite strange that during his loan spell he was pretty much finishing all sorts of chances but his all round game was fairly anonymous (Bruce ball I guess), whereas now his all round game has significantly improved but he's missing a fair amount of chances 

He ever manages to put ‘em together and we’re :memelol: ‘ing our way to the top.

2 hours ago, Smal said:

I think Willock could be in the England squad soon for sure. We are lacking in midfield and Southgate likes the athletic, pressing types in there. Would be decent backup for Bellingham and a good option to bring on if you need a goal.

Southgate doesn’t like trying new players, I don’t see it happening.