Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Whatever people think about NUFC having 'decent' players, this doesn't matter in a relegation battle - its the BLEND of players that makes a decent SIDE, and NUFC have clearly not got that blend.

All the players that people keep quoting as 'talented' have proved to be flawed in crucial areas of their game - Owen with injuries, Barton with temperament, Jonas with lack of end-product, Butt & co in midfield by either their age or lack of creative skills. Taylor is prone to dive in and make late tackles, Martins has general lack of awareness in his game, and Coloccini  is constantly caught out for positioning and pace against quick forwards ; Duff has never been worth his fee etc etc..

Teams with too many failings go down, talented or not.

Whatever people think about NUFC having 'decent' players, this doesn't matter in a relegation battle - its the BLEND of players that makes a decent SIDE, and NUFC have clearly not got that blend.

All the players that people keep quoting as 'talented' have proved to be flawed in crucial areas of their game - Owen with injuries, Barton with temperament, Jonas with lack of end-product, Butt & co in midfield by either their age or lack of creative skills. Taylor is prone to dive in and make late tackles, Martins has general lack of awareness in his game, and Coloccini  is constantly caught out for positioning and pace against quick forwards ; Duff has never been worth his fee etc etc..

indeed, but when you add to ALL of that the off field problems we've had since december;  kk turmoil, owner selling club, protests, "bouycott", owner not selling club, captain won't sign contract, best keeper sold due to unhappiness, :kinnear: , hughton, calderwood....

it'll be a fuckin miracle if we DON'T go down tbh, last club i remember were as fucked up a mess as us were west ham, and we know how that ended don't we?

If we play to our strenghts we will stayup but due to us not having a manager... we will go down without a doubt.... Need a tactically intelligent manager in the premier division considering how flawed our squad is.... If we do get relegated i hope we get a manager who can actually coach and develop our younger players.......

As you all do every year, you're missing the crucial bit of information here - as bad as we are, there are others playing as bad, or worse. It's ugly, but not as ugly as the flailing about of some on here.

The good news is it is easy to fix, as soon as Ashley is gone this ship can be set right in no time.

As you all do every year, you're missing the crucial bit of information here - as bad as we are, there are others playing as bad, or worse. It's ugly, but not as ugly as the flailing about of some on here.

The good news is it is easy to fix, as soon as Ashley is gone this ship can be set right in no time.

I agree with you that Ashley has to go before we ever see genuine long term planning (or indeed planning of any kind) at this club.

But I don't think there's any denying that we're knee deep in the proverbial. A quick look at the fixture list suggests this relegation fight is guaranteed to go right to the wire, perhaps even to the last day of the season.

We have flawed "stars" it's true, but we have far more quality players at our disposal than most other teams around us. Would Phil Brown or Tony Pulis have the luxury of leaving a Lovenkrands on the bench?

We just aren't putting the right combination of players out that will work together, Keegan did the same last season until we switched to 4-3-3 with spectacular results.

Staying at 1.

Blind faith is all we have.

Also, I'm confident that neither Boro nor West Brom have it in them to pull out of the mire, Blackburn draw far to many to be discounted and Pompey are, well shite.

Stoke might just sneak it, but I wouldn't lay money on them either way.

Think the Mackems and Bolton are safe, Hull more or less unfortunately

Also, I'm confident that neither Boro nor West Brom have it in them to pull out of the mire, Blackburn draw far to many to be discounted and Pompey are, well s****.

Blackburn   - Played 29, drawn 9

Newcastle  - Played 29, drawn 11

Hmmmm

In four attempts Newcastle United have failed to beat Hull City this season. One of the reasons I have little hope.

I'm on an 8 because the teams destiny is still in it's own hands (on goal difference at the moment). If/when we drop into the bottom 3 I will change to a 9. If/when we get out of the bottom 3 I'll change it back to an 8.

I've been on 8 since this poll started. I don't think I actually meant it though to be honest.. since then we beat Pompey & Villa and I felt a bit daft.. then we had a run of bad results, beat WBA which lifted us slightly and it's been pretty much disappointment every fixture since. I see that 8 is now the most common one.

Depressing really.

Interesting how the vast majority seem to think we'll more likely go down than not in this thread, and yet only about 40% of voters picked us in the 'who do you think will go down' thread.

Interesting how the vast majority seem to think we'll more likely go down than not in this thread, and yet only about 40% of voters picked us in the 'who do you think will go down' thread.

I noticed that too, I suppose the 'we're doomed' camp are more likely to vote in this thread.

Also, I'm confident that neither Boro nor West Brom have it in them to pull out of the mire, Blackburn draw far to many to be discounted and Pompey are, well s****.

Blackburn   - Played 29, drawn 9

Newcastle  - Played 29, drawn 11

Hmmmm

Sorry I meant under Sam

I get your point but the stats say otherwise. They might have drawn more games 5 to 4 in the relative periods since FSA took over but they've been converted from defeats, so gaining a point rather than losing 2 like us.

Since 18th Dec

Blackburn    W=4, D=5, L=3    Totals 19 points

Newcastle  W=2, D=4, L=6    Totals 10 points

Guest sid1970

my problem is not the fact we are in a relegation battle, my problem is that it could have so easily have been avoided...

...i have seen us play in lower divisions over the years, and in a worst state we're in now, but it could have so easily have been avoided...

my problem is not the fact we are in a relegation battle, my problem is that it could have so easily have been avoided...

...i have seen us play in lower divisions over the years, and in a worst state we're in now, but it could have so easily have been avoided...

seen us relegated twice, been a season ticket holder during two second division spells, none of it felt as doomed as this does now.

i know what you mean mate,

the worst thing is all this confusion they have created amongst us, at least back then we were part of our club.

I didn't know where else to post this article, so I'll post it here (I don't think it deserves its own thread, and apologies if it's already been posted elsewhere):

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=629139&sec=england&root=england&cc=5901

Just a general summary of the situation that we all know about, nothing new, but I do think it points out how much everyone else has caught up and realized that our situation this year has become quite dire, even more so than in years past.

I think Garth Crooks said (a few weeks back, mind) that 38 would probably be enough to keep you up.  Not saying I agree, just posting the opinion of someone allowed to give his views on the telly.

I still think it comes down to the three 'winnable' home games against the smogs, Pompey and Fulham, which would take us to the magical 38 he suggested.  With a nigh-on fully fit squad, there should (in theory!) be just about enough quality there to win these games.  Furthermore with hopefully Kinnear to come back, (god!  Having to describe him as a 'saviour' is hard!!!)  anything else picked up along the way is only a bonus and should see us safe.

I still think it comes down to the three 'winnable' home games against the smogs, Pompey and Fulham, which would take us to the magical 38 he suggested.

We could really do with beating Stoke also. We absolutely must beat the teams below us and those just above us. I can't say I'm confident we'll beat Middlesbrough. We usually draw against them.

I still think it comes down to the three 'winnable' home games against the smogs, Pompey and Fulham, which would take us to the magical 38 he suggested.

We could really do with beating Stoke also. We absolutely must beat the teams below us and those just above us. I can't say I'm confident we'll beat Middlesbrough. We usually draw against them.

I can see us drawing at Stoke, which will be a horrible game.  In an ideal scenario I think we'll beat the boro.  They're truly abysmal, and I still can't fathom how they beat Liverpool.

The smogs I'm at uni with have already resigned themselves to fizzy pop football next season.