Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Some of the spins here. If this is a good thing for Newcastle why would they vote against it?

Yeah that was my main question. It might not mean anything but it doesn’t suggest it’s positive

Has the football365 guy said anything lately?

Massive climb down from KSA required for this to happen. Can’t see it. Not sure how anyone can.

I'm not saying it will/won't happen.

But why would Bein (Qatar) pay £500m for PL rights (which is the same they paid last time and included broadcasting in Saudi) if they didn't think Saudi were going to allow them to start broadcasting? Surely they'd pay less on the basis the PL rights aren't worth as much to them?

If anything, I would think this a concession from Saudi and it'll be officially confirmed at some point that Saudi will allow Bein to be aired in their country.

Massive climb down from KSA required for this to happen. Can’t see it. Not sure how anyone can.

But why would Bein (Qatar) pay £500m for PL rights (which is the same they paid last time and included broadcasting in Saudi) if they didn't think Saudi were going to allow them to start broadcasting? Surely they'd pay less on the basis the PL rights aren't worth as much to them?

If anything, I would think this a concession from Saudi and it'll be officially confirmed at some point that Saudi will allow Bein to be aired in their country.

Why would Newcastle vote against it?

BEIN were pretty vocal stating the value of their contract was lost when Saudi kicked them out of the country back in July. Further, it was widely reported by the Muppets in the press who listen to Qatar that the value of deal in the future was in jeopardy.

No idea.

Maybe the vote was some time ago prior to the news Saudi & Qatar are in peace talks.

Maybe it was just MA being petty or maybe it means there is little to no hope of a deal.

I just think Bein paying the same price they paid for the last PL rights (especially in the current climate of no fans etc) is the bigger part of the story. It doesn't make sense for them to pay the same amount if they didn't think they'd be able to broadcast in Saudi.

BEIN were pretty vocal stating the value of their contract was lost when Saudi kicked them out of the country back in July. Further, it was widely reported by the Muppets in the press who listen to Qatar that the value of deal in the future was in jeopardy.

Agreed. Which is why it points to a Saudi concession imo as I think it likely means Bein will be granted access again to broadcast in Saudi.

Admittedly I could be completely wrong.

No idea.

Maybe the vote was some time ago prior to the news Saudi & Qatar are in peace talks.

Maybe it was just MA being petty or maybe it means there is little to no hope of a deal.

I just think Bein paying the same price they paid for the last PL rights (especially in the current climate of no fans etc) is the bigger part of the story. It doesn't make sense for them to pay the same amount if they didn't think they'd be able to broadcast in Saudi.

Probably a clause stating if not resolved and ksa unavailable to broadcast to then a reduction is in place.

There goes any theory this is good in any way for the takeover.

Hopefully the truth lies in this, and the wider peace settlement with Saudi Arabia has given Bein the confidence to bid big again. Remember Bein initially claimed they wouldn’t be matching previous amount they paid. The key here is not the Saudis not getting the contract as it doesn’t appear they’ve been in for it, but if Saudi start allowing Bein to broadcast again.

No idea.

Probably a clause stating if not resolved and ksa unavailable to broadcast to then a reduction is in place.

There goes any theory this is good in any way for the takeover.

I've not seen any report of such a clause and given FFP I doubt clubs would agree to a package that could change given they can only spend a certain percentage over and above their income.

I'm possibly coming across as overly positive and to tell the truth I'm pretty sceptical the deal will happen.

I just think the new TV deal is more likely a good sign than a bad sign. I guess we'll only know if/when it is established if Bein can broadcast in Saudi.

Hopefully the truth lies in this, and the wider peace settlement with Saudi Arabia has given Bein the confidence to bid big again. Remember Bein initially claimed they wouldn’t be matching previous amount they paid. The key here is not the Saudis not getting the contract as it doesn’t appear they’ve been in for it, but if Saudi start allowing Bein to broadcast again.

That last tweet is the most interesting. Both parties confident of being able to service the Saudi market soon.

Again I say though, if NUFC win arbitration that proves PIF are a separate legal entity to KSA, it makes all this irrelevant.

This peace deal could be the key to unlocking the deal. I’m still not convinced though and think top 6 would still object regardless of resumption of Bein in Saudi.

What I’d like to know at this point has this MENA contract been put out to tender, or is it more ammo in relation to collusion and corruption at the top of PL.