Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

I just don't get the benefit these calls for transparency, it's just so vague and easy to bat away because O&D test and arbitration are fundamentally confidential processes. Also, MP's can't be seen to be influencing the judiciary so it's pointless asking for them to intervene in NCSL's case.

Surely it would be better to concentrate on concrete things like asking MPs to put pressure on the PL to act in accordance with its own rules and make a formal decision or on stuff the government can actually influence, like an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority.

That'll be what the actual QCs are doing, I'd guess.

The pressure from the fans/NCSL is about keeping it in the public eye and making the PL realise they can't just squirm out of it because there is evidence available that they've not been entirely open and honest in their actions.

That's my take on this anyway.

In more pressing issue for the Saudis this week they lost their bid to host the 2030 Asian games to Qatar.

You can read it below it was very contentious they manage to get the next tournament. The only way I see this go through is when Qatar and Saudi make peace and Qatar tell Masters it is okay you can go ahead. 

https://www.riyadhbureau.com/p/saudi-qatar-asian-games

I just don't get the benefit these calls for transparency, it's just so vague and easy to bat away because O&D test and arbitration are fundamentally confidential processes. Also, MP's can't be seen to be influencing the judiciary so it's pointless asking for them to intervene in NCSL's case.

Surely it would be better to concentrate on concrete things like asking MPs to put pressure on the PL to act in accordance with its own rules and make a formal decision or on stuff the government can actually influence, like an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority.

That'll be what the actual QCs are doing, I'd guess.

The pressure from the fans/NCSL is about keeping it in the public eye and making the PL realise they can't just squirm out of it because there is evidence available that they've not been entirely open and honest in their actions.

That's my take on this anyway.

But it seems pointless, the vague call for transparency is just so easy for the PL to squirm out of.

The PL's line has been 'we couldn't make a decision because they wouldn't provide the information on other directors and PIF have withdrawn now' and the public, government and supporter groups' response was essentially 'fair enough'.

They've never really been publicly challenged on that, the PL have continued with that line and it's been parroted in government and MP responses, without question. But it's blatantly contrary to their O&D test rules, which not only allow them to make a decision on the basis (disqualifying the other directors) but require them to have made a decision well before PIF withdrew.

A legal challenge of that process would possibly take years and in the court of public opinion 'you broke your own rules' is a much stronger message  than some vague call for transparency of a process that fundamentally can't be transparent.

In more pressing issue for the Saudis this week they lost their bid to host the 2030 Asian games to Qatar.

You can read it below it was very contentious they manage to get the next tournament. The only way I see this go through is when Qatar and Saudi make peace and Qatar tell Masters it is okay you can go ahead. 

Totally agree and making peace would include an apology for ignoring the BEOutQ situation.  The Qatari's stepped up bigtime with their accepted bid for EPL rights and obviously the EPL was in negotiations while the takeover was in progress.  The EPL will say it didn't want to sacrifice this deal to approve PIF.  It could further say that it consulted the Big 6 because as the EPL's most valuable properties, they deserved to have input with the proceedings.

I would say that Qatar stepping up with this offer is game, set, match. 

It doesn't mean that PIF can't get back in, it just means there would have to be conciliatory gestures towards Qatar before anything happens.

Guest Howaythetoon

The fan consortium people need to stop getting into a ‘war’ of words with people on social media, just post updates/news/info when right or pertinent to the whole thing and stay professional and if you want, impartial to any fan or otherwise negative/positive rhetoric outside of what they are doing or not.

The fan consortium people need to stop getting into a ‘war’ of words with people on social media, just post updates/news/info when right or pertinent to the whole thing and stay professional and if you want, impartial to any fan or otherwise negative/positive rhetoric outside of what they are doing or not.

Possibly but not sure why some of our lot feel the need to tell 2 blokes that the takeover is over, when at the end of the day they’ve invested their own money to fight this, for the benefit of us all.

I can see why they’d want to put some of these negative b******s straight.

Possibly but not sure why some of our lot feel the need to tell 2 blokes that the takeover is over, when at the end of the day they’ve invested their own money to fight this, for the benefit of us all.

The thing is, twitter is full if negative twats so they'll never shit them all up. I also think they need to just keep quiet. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say anything that could wreck a future case but it doesn't look good them replying to everyone.

The thing is, twitter is full if negative t***s so they'll never s*** them all up. I also think they need to just keep quiet. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say anything that could wreck a future case but it doesn't look good them replying to everyone.

I think we need to remember these 2 lads are normal fans, it’s not a business they’re running. The whole part of the twitter account is to galvanise the fan base and keep us updated.

If they choose to occasionally put a few negative fans spouting shite back in their box, then good on them as far as I’m concerned.

The thing is, twitter is full if negative t***s so they'll never s*** them all up. I also think they need to just keep quiet. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say anything that could wreck a future case but it doesn't look good them replying to everyone.

I think we need to remember these 2 lads are normal fans, it’s not a business they’re running. The whole part of the twitter account is to galvanise the fan base and keep us updated.

If they choose to occasionally put a few negative fans spouting shite back in their box, then good on them as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Totally agree and making peace would include an apology for ignoring the BEOutQ situation.  The Qatari's stepped up bigtime with their accepted bid for EPL rights and obviously the EPL was in negotiations while the takeover was in progress.  The EPL will say it didn't want to sacrifice this deal to approve PIF.  It could further say that it consulted the Big 6 because as the EPL's most valuable properties, they deserved to have input with the proceedings.

I would say that Qatar stepping up with this offer is game, set, match. 

It doesn't mean that PIF can't get back in, it just means there would have to be conciliatory gestures towards Qatar before anything happens.

Hopefully it suggests just that, conciliatory gestures are going on in the background. It's probably the cleanest way forward for all involved bar the top 6 who frankly don't give a shit about piracy rights.

Guest Howaythetoon

I know I’ve been a bore in here at times :lol: but for putting up with me I’ve made a donation to the food bank on behalf of our great community here:

40-D3-EA7-D-48-C8-497-F-A02-D-CCE623-D524-AC.jpg

4-FFB6-DBB-47-FC-4-EE3-9-E90-2-DEB3-A8-AC3-D4.jpg

8052-C479-9-F5-E-499-A-8643-3-B88087-F70-F5.png

I had planned on doing a food parcel drop too, but they are closed until the 30th, so I’ll be doing that after Xmas spending the same on actual food. They need both desperately, actual money and actual food.

Anyway Merry Xmas all at N.O :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

Nice of you HTT.

Shame Virgin take such a fee though.

Aye the other option does as well, I kind of understand why though. Again these organisations need both money and food.

Guest Howaythetoon

Top stuff HTT[/member]! Although I think you should've waited until Friday 3pm to make the donation.

What and get more pelters in here ha ha. To be fair we do it every year and have done for last 5 I think , we buy homeless people dinners too, and usually try and match what we spend on the kids for Xmas RE food bank donations, but not this year as I’ve got them iPhones... through the business I might add. Got to save some VAT back :lol:

They are a great organisation and close to our hearts as a former employee of mine used them/volunteered there and a non forum member, but Lockwood Cup member legend mate and colleague of mine a few years back was helped massively by the food bank and at the worst point in his life so whatever we or anyone can do is all good. Breaks my heart knowing kids and families at this time of year are going without. Been there and done it when we were bairns but we had each other, some don’t, especially immigrant families who won’t be with loved ones this time of year as they either far away or dead :(