Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

In my lifetime we have won the FA Cup 3 times won the European Fairs cup which was replaced by the UEFA cup lost the FA cup final in 1974 and League cup final in 1976 and runners up in the EPL in 95/96 and lost FA cup finals in 1998 and 1999.  It's not like we haven't had opportunities to win more trophies.

In my lifetime we have won the FA Cup 3 times won the European Fairs cup which was replaced by the UEFA cup lost the FA cup final in 1974 and League cup final in 1976 and runners up in the EPL in 95/96 and lost FA cup finals in 1998 and 1999.  It's not like we haven't had opportunities to win more trophies.

In my lifetime we’ve won nothing. I’m 50 next week....

Two Texaco cups, an anglo Italian, japan and intertoto you ungrateful git ye.

Excluding the Keegan peak, which I'm not old enough to remember, we've been in two cup finals. But in a bit of a perverse way, despite them being 'one game - winner takes all' affairs, neither of them represent the best chance we've had of winning something. That's surely reserved for the 99/00 FA Cup, halted by the Poyet semi. Surely we'd have beaten Villa in the final? Probably a much bigger stretch but you could've argued the 04/05 UEFA Cup as well. Obviously we were riddled with Souness by that point but we still had a lot of good players and Shearer absolutely killed it in Europe. If we'd held our nerve against Sporting; two legs against Alkmaar and then CSKA Moscow in the final. So close, so far.

Mind you, I don't think it's fair to completely rule out the First Division/Championship titles when it comes to experiencing success. They were each very, very good times and I take some pride in being able to say I've seen a real trophy being lifted at SJP. Obviously it's not truly meaningful, and you don't get the crescendo you might feel with a cup win or winning the Premier League... but they were definitely triumphant moments, and fair rewards for extremely well-fought campaigns where we were the best out of everyone. And it's more than a lot of other clubs have had. 

Not that success matters:

Trying to achieve something and being shit is miserable, but you're invested.

Trying to achieve something and being victorious - I'm sure - is ecstacy.

Trying to achieve something and being good, but not the best... we'll take that. That will do me just fine. I'd give you a limb for that.

Not trying to be good and being either shit or accidentally competent is the worst feeling you can possible have as a football fan and, save for Rafa, is precisely what I've felt since more-or-less the turn of 2014. That, for me, is when it really became abundantly clear that there was no intention whatsoever to progress. I can remember when the feeling first started to wane; I remember not feeling as joyful as I normally would (it was that 2-0 at home to Chelsea when Gouffran and Remy scored); it was a really bizarre feeling... to my first ever 'feel happy for the opposition' moment, when Bony scored a late winner for Swansea at SJP.

My post history will probably suggest the contrary but as I recal it, between that Swansea game and Rafa coming, it was a mix of the occasional feelings of support, apathy, and full-blown "I want us to lose."

And the latter of those is exactly what I've felt since the moment Rafa left. Lose every game, fuck Steve Bruce, fuck Mike Ashley and fuck whatever this excuse of a club is. So right now, I'd give absolutely anything just to want us to win again. Fuck success n'all. You don't need it.

Two Texaco cups, an anglo Italian, japan and intertoto you ungrateful git ye.

?