Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

So Masters confirms arbitration has begun.

What happened to NUFCs legal position being so strong, so certain that it would never even get to court?

I thought the PL were so backed into a corner, there's no chance they'd want to go through arbitration?

The PL seem pretty confident of their legal position like, regardless of the 'supreme confidence' of the buyers.

The fact its gone to arbitration doesnt fill me with any sort of confidence like, nor does it suggest that the piracy dealings had anything to do with the decision either.

I was thinking along these lines earlier. I mean if the PL are willing to get this done then why go ahead with arbitration?

I absolutely love and appreciate the leaks or itks the people post on here but it's all confidence from the club/buyers side. The crucial info would be from how the PL are seeing things. I mean if they are confident an agreement can be reached then its takeover bath time, but I haven't seen a single leak regarding the PL's stance.

That being said, I'm getting excited day by day and it's looking positive, however we need to remember that it was "days not weeks" in the summer and it crashed.

They have to go through arbitration before it goes to court.

Just because Masters want’s it concluded soon, it doesn’t mean he wants to accept it.

Even if piracy is an issue, the top 6 are still going to be an issue and we have already seen how willing to accommodate them he is.

I love how matter of fact your posts are. When in reality you know nowt about anything.

Ignore me, replied to the wrong post  :idiot2:

Let's say for instance the PL lawyers look at all this and the feedback to masters is "we're fucked, they have damming evidence against us" would they still bother with arbitration?

If masters woke up this morning and thought to himself I'm gonna let the takeover go through, wouldn't he just allow them to re-do the test or pass the current one stuck in limbo? Why waste time with arbitration? Is he now binded to an arbitration agreement perhaps?

It just feels the PL are still willing to fight which is where I am confused as to where all the confidence is coming from on our side.

Why would the NUFC legal team show their lawyers all their evidence beforehand?

We already knew the arbitration proceedings had commenced. All parties can settle this at any point before that though.

Whatever he means by “the matter” is what’s key here. He may not be specifically referring to arbitration but rather the whole takeover debacle.

De Marco will have an open dialogue with the PL’s legal team and will be letting them know how strong a case they are building and what follow up claims will happen if the PL are to continue dragging this out.

There will be a point (which might have happened already) where the PL chief counsel knocks on Masters door and instructs him to let this through.

Let's say for instance the PL lawyers look at all this and the feedback to masters is "we're fucked, they have damming evidence against us" would they still bother with arbitration?

If masters woke up this morning and thought to himself I'm gonna let the takeover go through, wouldn't he just allow them to re-do the test or pass the current one stuck in limbo? Why waste time with arbitration? Is he now binded to an arbitration agreement perhaps?

It just feels the PL are still willing to fight which is where I am confused as to where all the confidence is coming from on our side.

Why would the NUFC legal team show their lawyers all their evidence beforehand?

It is quite common for there to be a disclosure process - again if this was a court case the court would set exactly what does and does not need to be disclosed. The aim being to speed up proceedings so each party knows what they are dealing with. If you don't disclose, you can't rely on it in court. Otherwise there would be constant adjournments and delays while each party requests time to deal with whatever new evidence is introduced at short notice by the other side.

Arbitration aims to mirror a court case so the same process could be followed but again, the parties, not the court set the rules in arbitration so who knows what the arbitrator is requiring.

Jonny, how long can we expect this arbitration to take in total? Obviously don't know when it started. Not that it means "green light" (I assume).

The arbitration hearing itself again mirrors a court case - so anything from a day to a week to two weeks. This will involve all parties attending the hearing and the arbitrator presiding over it (will probably be done virtually).

The preparation for the hearing itself can take months and I imagine that's where we are currently at.

I don’t know much about it but isn’t arbitration the thing that comes before the court case. All parties trying to work it out out of court so a judge doesn’t have to?

That's mediation, which is non-binding. Arbitration is basically litigation through a private tribunal, instead of a court, resulting in a binding decision.

Edit: Oops, I see jonny1403 already answered that. What he said.

What happened to NUFCs legal position being so strong, so certain that it would never even get to court?

I thought the PL were so backed into a corner, there's no chance they'd want to go through arbitration?

The PL seem pretty confident of their legal position like, regardless of the 'supreme confidence' of the buyers.

The fact its gone to arbitration doesnt fill me with any sort of confidence like, nor does it suggest that the piracy dealings had anything to do with the decision either.

They explained that it would not look good if we went to court without first of all trying Arbitration!

I like to think of myself as a realist when it comes to the takeover and have been sceptical ever since PIF "withdrew".

Where are you getting the information that Masters has said arbitration has begun? Because he hasn't confirmed that in his letter today.

He's confirmed the club (MA) has a legal case ongoing which we all knew already.

Also, you should understand that when arbitration does start (if it hasn't already) that is a good thing. It is the only way the deal gets done.

I'm still far from convinced it'll happen but imo the soundings of the last 3/4 days have been nothing but positive.

It literally says on the 2nd page “(the club) has commenced arbitration proceedings with the Premier league”

That is confirmation of the statement the club (MA) issued months ago after the PL confirmed to NCSL that the club has raised a legal case against them.

It isn't confirmation that the arbitration hearing is underway.

That is how I have interpreted anyway.

That's my take on this also.

Going through to arbitration could simply be the PLs way out of this.

They 'can't' wave it through due to pressures from the big

They 'can't' wave it through without a change in proposed ownership structure to save face

They 'can't' block the takeover based on the D&O test rules that applied at the time of the submission.

They don't actually want to block Saudi involvement in the league due to the money on offer

Arbitration says there is no grounds to block it, PL shrug and say they have no choice but to let it through

I don’t know much about it but isn’t arbitration the thing that comes before the court case. All parties trying to work it out out of court so a judge doesn’t have to?

That's mediation, which is non-binding. Arbitration is basically litigation through a private tribunal, instead of a court, resulting in a binding decision.

Edit: Oops, I see jonny1403 already answered that. What he said.

:thup: thank you both

Going through to arbitration could simply be the PLs way out of this.

They 'can't' wave it through due to pressures from the big

They 'can't' wave it through without a change in proposed ownership structure to save face

They 'can't' block the takeover based on the D&O test rules that applied at the time of the submission.

They don't actually want to block Saudi involvement in the league due to the money on offer

Arbitration says there is no grounds to block it, PL shrug and say they have no choice but to let it through

or Arbitration says the Saudi's refusal to answer reasonable questions about ownership, means they fail the O&D test, however, the consortium will then be able to appeal against the decision.

Here we go again, the scumbag national media getting a whiff of possible takeover success and in go the barbs..

It's nowt you lot ain't been saying on here about his tweets.

Here we go again, the scumbag national media getting a whiff of possible takeover success and in go the barbs..

Did Panja's sarcasm in that tweet just whoosh straight over your head?

Not at all, but you've all been whipping yourselves into a frenzy every time he tweets. It's a pretty accurate observation.

At a guess, I'd say that ITK/Journalist tidbits of 'soon' and 'there'll be movement within a few weeks/months' comes from sources within the buyer side, who have remained 'confident'. Why would they be anything other than confident? They're hardly going to be leaking that there is a few holes in our case, we're on shaky ground but we're still hopeful.

I think more than a few people are setting themselves up to get their fingers burned, exactly the way Caulkin did. Anyway, I'll say no more on the subject.

The absolute cheek of Ben Jacobs saying we took "quite a bit of time" prepping our case  :lol:

Like someone has pointed out on twitter though, I wonder where he is getting that info from as that doesn't seem like a PL leak.

Not at all, but you've all been whipping yourselves into a frenzy every time he tweets. It's a pretty accurate observation.

Football fans in getting-excited-on-twitter shock. Does he also take snidey swipes at the fans of other teams when they get excited about stuff regarding their club? Or is it just NUFC supporters who rattle him enough to provoke a response?

We'd better batten down the hatches again folks. The filth are getting wind of this coming back. They thought they had swatted it away for good but now they know that they didnt. Expect the next 4 weeks to be like those in May.