UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

So devastating. 

Shit feeling made even worse by waking up to see fuckin morons have been racially abusing the players. Gutting but not surprising, cunts. 

Edited by Wilson

Aye, feeling pretty numb this morning and definitely another missed opportunity as in Russia.

Definitely been lifted by the overwhelming response to the racism and the hypocrisy of the government to it though. I honestly feel like Southgate & his players have made a lot of people question the narrative. 

people saying they're optimistic for the future?

we have a great squad but are stuck with a manager who hasnt developed.

just exactly a re-run of 2018 croatia - didnt/wouldnt make proactive changes then or now.

great man-manager, i admit , but shockingly overcautious in-game management.

My thoughts:

A few negatives and lots of positives.

We obviously have a great squad and it clearly hasnt peaked yet - The 2022 world cup may even be too early for some of them even though this tournament wouldve been a huge learning experience.

Southgates cautious approach got us to the final but it wasnt enough. Italy were there for taking but we didnt become more adventurous when needed.

Southgate also needs to learn from this. His friendlies between now and Qatar 22 need to show that he can a bit more balanced between caution and attack, ie knowing when to make that change. Its obviously very delicate at tournament level but he needs to learn when to seize the day. He doesnt have to go all out Keegan/Entertainers, but fortune favours the brave. Maybe his playing career as a defender is influencing his mindset as a manager but he's still relatively young, especially for an international manager i think.

The FA also have a problem in that, as far as i know, theres no pipeline of English managers coming through. I think someone mentioned this in passing earlier but the FA need some sort of process in place whereby managers are 'groomed' just like this generation of players has been. At any one time there should be half a dozen or so  managers in the background who could be call upon if the current manager is sacked/leaves.

I also fell in love with football again.

If Southgate doesn’t show up in Qatar playing front foot positive football with all this attacking talent then he really deserves criticism. He has already tried the cautious approach and it cost him.

I also think it’s quite underplayed how inexperienced most of your players are. Mount, Mings and Sancho have done 2 seasons of proper football. Kalvin has 1 season of top tier football under his belt as have Bellingham and Saka. Even Grealish pretty much has only 2 proper seasons under his belt.

5 minutes ago, huss9 said:

people saying they're optimistic for the future?

we have a great squad but are stuck with a manager who hasnt developed.

just exactly a re-run of 2018 croatia - didnt/wouldnt make proactive changes then or now.

great man-manager, i admit , but shockingly overcautious in-game management.

Do you not think he deserves the chance to continue to develop as England manger, after a World Cup semi and a Euros final?

Has there been proof that the accounts were "England" fans posting racist posts on players Instagram?

Until its investigated, and ISPs are traced, it's the usual blame game. 

Could literally have been anyone, even Italian fans posting.

Just watched Rashford's pen from the Colombia shootout and I'm so annoyed with him. A relatively normal run-up and belts it into the side netting. Did the same in the Villarreal shootout two months ago. Don't understand why he was trying to roll it in, that's not how he normally takes penalties.

Another thing from that Man United shootout, Telles and Mata came on in the final seconds to take pens, went up first and second and scored easily. Don't know why everyone's going on like that's not a perfectly normal sight before a shootout.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

The absolute cheek of that dickhead. He’s about as smart as he looks. This England squad have taken us further than anyone in a tournament since 66, and these cunts, use failure at the very last hurdle as a stick to beat him and the good work he’s done, the morning after.

lower than a snakes belly.

2 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Just watched Rashford's pen from the Colombia shootout and I'm so annoyed with him. A relatively normal run-up and belts it into the side netting. Did the same in the Villarreal shootout two months ago. Don't understand why he was trying to roll it in, that's not how he normally takes penalties.

Another thing from that Man United shootout, Telles and Mata came on in the final seconds to take pens, went up first and second and scored easily. Don't know why everyone's going on like that's not a perfectly normal sight before a shootout.

Rashford was trying to be clever, and it backfired. Sancho tried the same thing, and it was obvious when he was walking up that Donarumma knew what he was going to do.

Surprised his mam let him to stay up to watch it, the fucking little freak. Right wing grifting is the easiest money spinner in the world if you have no morals and little Darren is still too thick to make anything off it.

14 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Do you not think he deserves the chance to continue to develop as England manger, after a World Cup semi and a Euros final?

i just thought 3 years would have been long enough. he hasnt change his outlook much since 2018, i wonder if he will now.

he's come out and taken the blame for the penalties but imo its the 75 minutes before that he needs anaylising and apologising for.

Edited by huss9

It's weird how with a certain type of manager an early 1-0 is a disadvantage.

Like us with Bruce. If a pelican or some other giant bird inexplicably beaked the ball into the opposition net or some other mad thing happened and we were 1 up before 10 minutes, we're 100 percent losing that game. Too conservative.

5 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Agree, I'm fucking furious with him. He's being lumped in with Saka as "a young lad who stepped up for his country and we should be proud of him" all over social media which tbh is ridiculous. He's taken loads of pressure pens in his career before in big games and smashed them in, so why the fuck piss around with a stupid smartarse stutter run up in your country's first final in 55 years? Dickhead.

Watching his last minute pen against PSG in the Champions League a few years ago and then watching that shit show last night makes me really angry.

3 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

You think English fans abusing their own black players hasn't been an issue for the last 40 years?

Dear me.

I didnt say this did I? 

Im seeing a lot of widespread condemnation of 'England fans' without much evidence. 'England fans abusing their own players', 'England fans sending racist messages'. Where? 

I get that we were solid and that is partly what got us to the final, but it just feels like with players like Foden and Grealish we had the opportunity to play a more expansive brand of football. Just feels like an opportunity missed considering the draw and the fact Belgium and France got knocked out in the quarters. 

Not too impressed with so many younger lads stepping up to take pens either. I feel Southgate should have thought about the pressure of a final regardless of how well they were taking them in practice sessions.