PIF and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

There were various rumours that any big deals needed to be signed off by PIF. In that respect, if that was ever true, I wonder if it leads us to being less agile and slow paced in decision making, such as in this transfer window.

Amanda seemed to have a hotline to PIF to keep their attention and was a good bridge between all other camps within the club as well, so maybe losing her is a bit more of a blow than we thought. Just putting an alternate theory out is all.

1 hour ago, macphisto said:

Newcastle is a small city, not difficult to have at least found a location for the new training ground. No FFP considerations holding them back. 

But surely that is an issue then?

If Newcastle is a small city, then surely there isn't a lot of open land for sale?

It's easy saying just move to Leazes Park or Castle Leazes, but that requires their owners wanting to sell the land.

Yes we're the "richest" club in the world, but it doesn't mean we can always get what we want.

The quicker some fans get that, the better

39 minutes ago, Abacus said:

There were various rumours that any big deals needed to be signed off by PIF. In that respect, if that was ever true, I wonder if it leads us to being less agile and slow paced in decision making, such as in this transfer window.

Amanda seemed to have a hotline to PIF to keep their attention and was a good bridge between all other camps within the club as well, so maybe losing her is a bit more of a blow than we thought. Just putting an alternate theory out is all.

In the aftermath of their departure it was reported that Amanda found the process slow and struggled with it.

2 hours ago, TBG said:

But surely that is an issue then?

If Newcastle is a small city, then surely there isn't a lot of open land for sale?

It's easy saying just move to Leazes Park or Castle Leazes, but that requires their owners wanting to sell the land.

Yes we're the "richest" club in the world, but it doesn't mean we can always get what we want.

The quicker some fans get that, the better

The financial constraints imposed by the PL has no bearing on training facilities - they’re ‘FFP neutral’.  So they could’ve thrown money at the problem - which, in terms of finding land to build on, absolutely resolves the issue.

Three years in and there doesn’t seem to be anything on the horizon.  Odd that.  

We’ve gone from the world’s poorest billionaire (Mike Ashley) to the world’s poorest trillionaires (PIF).

It can only happen to us.

22 minutes ago, duo said:

Where's the CL/Adidas money? 🤔

CL money was last season; adidas only kicked in this season - they effectively balance each other out, so in real terms our income hasn’t increased from last season to this season 

edit: don’t forget we needed Minteh and Anderson sales to balance the FFP books last season. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Am I reading these figures correctly? 

Saudi League 23/24 

Transfer expenses:
€977,388,774

Expenditures per club:

Saudi League 24/25

Transfer expenses:
€255,847,028

Expenditures per club:
€14,213,724

I know the league received large investment as a startup, but I wonder if the reduction in investment above and our summer window are a sign of PIF pulling back on their investment in football? Maybe moving the funds to the World Cup?

Worth noting that the Saudi government are cutting costs in general across the board. 

2 hours ago, macphisto said:

Am I reading these figures correctly? 

Saudi League 23/24 

Transfer expenses:
€977,388,774

Expenditures per club:

Saudi League 24/25

Transfer expenses:
€255,847,028

Expenditures per club:
€14,213,724

I know the league received large investment as a startup, but I wonder if the reduction in investment above and our summer window are a sign of PIF pulling back on their investment in football? Maybe moving the funds to the World Cup?

Worth noting that the Saudi government are cutting costs in general across the board. 

If you try to link this to Newcastle you need to align with PSR. We have by all means bid £65m for a CB and I assume that is what our limit is in regards to PSR.

I know he was hardly gonna come out and say "we're looking to consolidate being an upper mid-table club", but Al-Rumayyan's "number one" speech looks more and more daft with every passing window tbh :lol:

1 minute ago, Elric said:

I know he was hardly gonna come out and say "we're looking to consolidate being an upper mid-table club", but Al-Rumayyan's "number one" speech looks more and more daft with every passing window tbh :lol:

Everyone loved when he said, rightfully so and myself included. It’s just a shame we haven’t backed up his words with actions to warrant the lofty ambitions. 

People keep moaning about the fans being unhappy but it’s the ownership who’ve raised expectations to where they are. 

Al-Rumayyan I dont think factored in PSR/FFP. In those days it was still in the form of a threat and I don't think even those of us that knew more about it thought it would be so hobbling and all-reaching to where building slowly and steadily, as we were, isn't even allowed.

There's nothing they can do about it unless the rules change. Doesn't matter how ambitious they are, were on the bubble of how ambitious were allowed to be.

Just now, Jonas said:

Al-Rumayyan I dont think factored in PSR/FFP. In those days it was still in the form of a threat and I don't think even those of us that knew more about it thought it would be so hobbling and all-reaching to where building slowly and steadily, as we were, isn't even allowed.

There's nothing they can do about it unless the rules change. Doesn't matter how ambitious they are, were on the bubble of how ambitious were allowed to be.

Maybe, maybe not we will know for certain either way. If it was a factor I’d expect some form of pivot in regards to strategy or the goal was the same kind. Of the goal posts are shifted and your ambitions remain surely you have to change something to achieve your aims? Or have the goals changed and the plan is muddle along and see where that gets us? I doubt it as that isn’t even a viable plan :lol:

I guess what I’m getting at is, what is the plan to be number one? How do we plan on reaching that lofty goal?

22 minutes ago, Jonas said:

They’d been implemented by that point.  The last of the big changes came a month after the takeover.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’d been implemented by that point.  The last of the big changes came a month after the takeover.  

Kudos to you as well for engaging and thinking critically over the long term strategy and planning the club have done. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Kudos to you as well for engaging and thinking critically over the long term strategy and planning the club have done. 

I’ve always thought it wasn’t a great approach for supporters to simply buy whatever is being pitched by a club’s owners.  Actions not words etc.  And as you mentioned earlier, the owners - Al Rumayyan and Staveley - have both made some pretty big claims about what is going to happen.  I’d like to be a lot more confident that we’ll see it - but I’m not at the moment.  If there is an announcement that we’re off to a great big new super stadium - then I’ll buy it.  

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve always thought it wasn’t a great approach for supporters to simply buy whatever is being pitched by a club’s owners.  Actions not words etc.  And as you mentioned earlier, the owners - Al Rumayyan and Staveley - have both made some pretty big claims about what is going to happen.  I’d like to be a lot more confident that we’ll see it - but I’m not at the moment.  If there is an announcement that we’re off to a great big new super stadium - then I’ll buy it.  

I'm with you on this, I'm waiting not so patiently about what the plan is for the stadium. It will tell me all I need to know.

If you take out the emotion, it's quite clear we need a new ground which can be a hub and a commercial engine for the club moving forward. Spurs have given the blueprint we don't even need to think for ourselves about what needs to be done. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They hadn’t really shown any teeth yet though. That plus the related party stuff got worse.

But yeah, fairly lofty claims were made after then.