PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

As in it'd be enough for me :lol: things like the crest, ground, ground name etc are sacrosanct and are parts of the club's soul I personally don't want to tamper with.

Ok enough for you then :thup: Fair enough. Not sure where I stand. Would prefer to not have it renamed in any way. But I also don’t know every detail regarding the financial need or no need. 

Not sure as lost interest, the will to live and the will for the club to live, but isn't it only called SJP now technically because Fun88 chose to call it that, from the SD Arena, as part of the naming rights they got with the sponsorship? I presume that deal is still in place.

Did we get token sponsorship for the Gallowgate becoming the Exhibition Stand?. Sponsor the stands is maybe something to explore because who ever called it the Sir John Hall or Exhibition Stand really?

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Not sure as lost interest, the will to live and the will for the club to live, but isn't it only called SJP now technically because Fun88 chose to call it that as part of the naming rights they got with the sponsorship? I presume that deal is still in place.

Did we get token sponsorship for the Gallowgate becoming the Exhibition Stand?. That's maybe something to explore because who ever called it the Sir John Hall or Exhibition Stand really?

Nah, it was Wonga. Clearly some sort of deal done with Ashley to try and dampen criticism of both.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's never been sacrosanct like, it's only 30 ish years old and is a mess. At the very least it needs a cleanup.

That crest is all I've ever known so it is to me :lol:

I love it, love its nod to the city coat of arms and we've had it when we were class under Keegan and Robson. Only change(s) I'd acquiesce to is changing the lion in the turret to something that looks a bit more like a lion and/or a 'dumbing' down of the colours for want of a better phrase to the colour scheme of the 125 Years version from 2017-18 or to a strictly black and white design.

All the other designs we've had or had put forward are shite imo bar the original coat of arms of the city from the 1950s, 60s and 70s and that isn't coming back.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

19 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Wembley's actually now known as "Wembley Stadium connected by EE", but no fucker calls it that. "Powered by" is still rather shit but it's far better than Ashley's renaming.

Wembley_Stadium_EE_logo.png

Maybe the trick is to make it such a mouthful people use short hand.

Middlesbrough's ground when it opened (for all I know still is) was actually called the BT Cellnet Riverside Stadium. So it just went by the Riverside.

5 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Maybe the trick is to make it such a mouthful people use short hand.

Middlesbrough's ground when it opened (for all I know still is) was actually called the BT Cellnet Riverside Stadium. So it just went by the Riverside.

Many down there called it "The Cellnet".

31 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

The likes of Arsenal's and Man City's sponsorship revenue comes through shirt sponsors which dwarf that of the stadium naming rights. If we were to get a lucrative shirt sponsorship deal that'd be enough.

People go on about renaming the stadium as if it’s inevitable when no club in the league with the exception of Bournemouth has ever renamed their original, existing ground. A partner a la Wembley and EE as above, yeah fine. Changing the ground's name? Fuck that.

The two clubs you mention though Arsenal and Man City both have stadium sponsorship so it must be worth something, and they are 2 of the teams we are trying to catch/over take. 

fwiw I am not in favour of renaming the stadium completely, but I would be perfectly with something like the Wembley example if it was St James Park powered by …/connected by …

Just now, NWMag said:

The two clubs you mention though Arsenal and Man City both have stadium sponsorship so it must be worth something, and they are 2 of the teams we are trying to catch/over take. 

fwiw I am not in favour of renaming the stadium completely, but I would be perfectly with something like the Wembley example if it was St James Park powered by …/connected by …

Both of their grounds were built within the last 20 years, St. James' has been St. James' since 1880. 

And aye fair enough, I'd probably be the same but with ever so slightly gritted teeth. :lol:

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Both of their grounds were built within the last 20 years, St. James' has been St. James' since 1880. 

And aye fair enough, I'd probably be the same but with ever so slightly gritted teeth. :lol:

I get where you’re coming from mate but the age/history of the stadium has nothing to do with revenue. 

if two of the teams we are trying to catch are bringing in sponsorship through stadium naming rights then I don’t see how we can afford to just not do it. 

33 minutes ago, Scoot said:

If we want to move forward it's something we'll have to get used too otherwise we're going to be stuck roughly where we are forever.

Realistically some bitter pills will have to be swalloed. Bitter but not cyanide. Like the SJH era we know its all going to the betterment of the club and its the regret of not winning the title we remember now not the regret of the club buying the rights to "the black and white" from the fanzine, the platinum club, the Man U amount of merch and changing the name of the Gallowgate/Leazes officially

Love that they apperently are reaching out to hear the supporters take on a potential name change. Whilst I quite like the stadium to keep its name as it is, I understand that they have to turn every stone to increase our revenues.

I guess it's a step towards European football. Maybe we can afford to change it back once we are Champ. league or EL.

Dortmund and Germany itself are held up as a shining light in many regards. They've gone down this road with their original stadium.

Suppose it helps that almost nobody outside really knows or cares what it was called before but nevertheless.

Its the last resort for me but the authorities forcing us down this road has taken a lot of edge off it.

54 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

It is better and it's not like I'd boycott over it but it would be a bit garish and sad and is prefer if they tried everything else first rather than treating stadium name as easy money maker. Not that there's any sign of them acting that way kind.

What does “everything else” entail though? I presume the club’s name and strip are even more sacred for the traditionalists, and rightly so. That leaves selling the advertising hording and shirt sponsorship for more than we’re currently getting, but we’re so far removed from the other big clubs in terms of commercial income that those wouldn’t see us compete on an even level with the likes of Chelsea, Man U and Man City anytime soon I imagine.

Unless the owners find a way to bypass FFP somehow, for example by selling Dummett to some Saudi club for 500m, how do you suggest they bridge the gap? The avenue used by Chelsea and Man City, unlimited spending until you get it right, has effectively been closed now.

Changing the name of the ground is not something I'd be actively seeking out tbh. I like it being called SJP and wouldn't really go looking to change it, I like it the way it is. 

However, there will be a point whereby the deal offered is so good, the advantages so obvious and apparent that the deal eventually becomes 'acceptable' to most fans I think. It'll be different for everyone but you can't tell me that anyone would turn down something daft like £100m a season for sticking Aramco into the official title of the ground. Fair play to those turning that down if so.

The whole thing about the SD ground name was that the club got zero benefit at all out of it and it was laughed out of town. Change 'zero benefit' to a fantastic amount of money annually to invest in the squad and the situation changes for 99.9% imo.