PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Can I just say, it's still really noval to me that our Chairman comes out and talks openly and honestly like that. Still feels weird. :lol:

Seeing our accounts filed nearly three months early and actually available on the club website is mental. So used to them arriving months late ?

FFP is shit and selling 1 of our star players isn't ideal but all clubs sell players. We haven't really since the new owners came in so it's hardly surprising. We all know that money will be reinvested in the playing squad and as long as we keep increasing revenues like we are, we'll continue moving upwards.

This might be a reality check for some fans (nobody on here, I don't think) who believe we should be top 4 and cup finalists every season.

It's a project. A journey. And we're just at the beginning. Things will come. Things will happen eventually. We will have trophies in our future. Just enjoy the ride.

Average wage of nearly 100k seems very high. Surprised at that.

Can't say I'm very hopeful for the next few years if we're already hitting a financial ceiling.

Edited by Turnbull2000

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

Being of a certain age I remember the sorrow I felt at "losing" Alan Kennedy and Supermac. More recently Andy Cole. 

Even tho we're a "project" & the team will "evolve" & Eddy Howe himself has admitted some favourites may have to depart along the way, I'd be gutted if either of the Brazilian lads left. 

Gutted, I tell thee

It’s a shite situation. Fans just can’t get attached to players anymore, if your best ones have to be sold to try and push on.

12 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Can't say I'm very hopeful for the next few years if we're already hitting a financial ceiling.

We're going to be raising that ceiling though. We already know Castore > Adidas is a huge increase. There are a lot of other untapped commercial opportunities and that will be key.

We also started with a squad of almost zero sellable assets. That has and will be changing.

Matchday revenue was also so low relative to capacity that it will be increasingly steadily for the next few years.

The general feeling should be one of hope and excitement, unless of course your hopes are winning the title or the Champions League in the near term.

16 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

This might be a reality check for some fans (nobody on here, I don't think) who believe we should be top 4 and cup finalists every season.

It's a project. A journey. And we're just at the beginning. Things will come. Things will happen eventually. We will have trophies in our future. Just enjoy the ride.

Mind, I was surprised that we are just behind the cartel 6 in respect of turnover, although it’s significantly behind. The rest of the PL clubs are suffering massively to. Everyone is suffering apart from the cartel 6.

39 minutes ago, Scoot said:

FFP is shit and selling 1 of our star players isn't ideal but all clubs sell players. We haven't really since the new owners came in so it's hardly surprising. We all know that money will be reinvested in the playing squad and as long as we keep increasing revenues like we are, we'll continue moving upwards.

How dare you what about wood? ? 

18 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

We're going to be raising that ceiling though. We already know Castore > Adidas is a huge increase. There are a lot of other untapped commercial opportunities and that will be key.

We also started with a squad of almost zero sellable assets. That has and will be changing.

Matchday revenue was also so low relative to capacity that it will be increasingly steadily for the next few years.

The general feeling should be one of hope and excitement, unless of course your hopes are winning the title or the Champions League in the near term.

I am excited for our now, and our future :indi:

21 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Apart from the fact that we didnt, and actually made a loss on him

:facepalm: I thought the greatest development of the last 6 months or so was moving past the Chris Wood debates. 

We paid £25m. We got a loan fee of a couple million. We sold him for £15m. He played in 17 games in 2021/22, starting 15 of them. Each PL place was worth £2.2m that season. We were 19th on the day he signed and finished 11th, so he contributed to +£17m in merit payments (not to mention avoiding relegation).

We obviously paid a crazy amount, but I think we can also say it worked out just fine.

Edited by timeEd32

4 hours ago, Ben said:

Do Man City and Liverpool have to sell any of their star players for FFP?

No, because they have massive revenues, and selling players to create headroom will only really work for a club, like us, where revenues are going to increase significantly over the following 5 years.

1 hour ago, brummie said:

This whole having to sell story shows how utterly stupid the implementation of FFP is

It is a convenient pulling up of the ladder exercise.

Aye, its literally counter productive to what football is about as well. Got a young local lad thats doing well? Well you're better off selling him and buy a merchant from abroad ror the same money. How does that even remotely make sense?

Plenty of things wrong with FFP, but Id get rid of amortisation completely and have it just be straight up transfer fees. Maybe give more leeway the more academy players youve got in your 25 man squad as well. 

3 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

Those figures do support something I remember reading earlier this season - that we could be well positioned to spend a decent amount this summer. If we're at #7 in terms of revenue before things like the Sela deal, the CL income and the Adidas sponsorship come into play then that should give us some flexibility once we move into the 24/25 accounting period. 

They’re not all in the same season.  The CL is this season only, adidas next year - they will roughly balance themselves out.

We’re actually approaching where a competently run NUFC under Ashley would be - the challenge begins from this summer.  Even with CL revenue this year, the accounts will still have us comfortably £150m behind Spurs this season.  We’re a long way from being competitive with the junior member of the Sky six.

I also think that we’ll be a bit less attractive to players and agents - I don’t doubt that Botman, Isak and Bruno (who all signed in the first year) will have hopped onboard expecting something akin to a Man City occurring; everyone will now be aware of what most of us already knew - FFP doesn’t allow us to do that.  At present, that looks thunderously unlikely - as long as FFP exists, we’re approaching our ceiling.  I’m a miserable bugger with this stuff and my back of a tab packet numbers had us at £260-280m last year.  They were actually £250m.  Hmm. 

Also duly noted that we had the 7th highest wage bill last season, not far behind Arsenal - it is likely a lot closer this year too.  7th therefore should be par for a season. 

The club needs to finish as high as possible and get back into Europe, and needs to start actually getting money for players in order to grow.  

2 hours ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Matt Targett is on £100k pw - that deal never looks great :) 

Yes FFP is shit and there to stifle challengers but before we look at selling players shouldn’t we look to maximise other revenues first such as training ground sponsorship, training kit sponsorship , stadium naming rights, numerous small sponsorships I.e. official keffiyeh supplier. Also play exhibition matches in Saudi Arabia in the summer, pack out stadiums and receive a big fee.

Ffp off and VAR on the pitch, the cartel runs in plain sight. No one has the balls to challenge it all. Spineless from us saying we won't challenge it, especially when the pfa are having a go due to fixture congestion and clubs can't spend money on more players to protect them.

2 hours ago, duo said:

City found another way...as we all know

Man City has sold £350m of players in the last three seasons.  They sell players.  Don’t understand why our support thinks that we’re the only club that shouldn’t. 

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Ffp off and VAR on the pitch, the cartel runs in plain sight. No one has the balls to challenge it all. Spineless from us saying we won't challenge it, especially when the pfa are having a go due to fixture congestion and clubs can't spend money on more players to protect them.

They made some threats of legal action at the first meeting after the takeover through Charley if I remember correctly but gave been playing nice since. I don’t see why considering they keep getting slapped in the face by the cartel. I say challenge FFP legally, if the argument comes up regarding protecting football clubs then argue for a maximum spend cap that’s the same for all which is truly fair.

4 minutes ago, Dokko said:

We won’t for political reasons.  It’s not a good look at all.

The danger with this takeover was always exactly this - we get bought out by an unpleasant dictatorship and FFP means that you don’t get the trappings of that either. 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Man City has sold £350m of players in the last three seasons.  They sell players.  Don’t understand why our support thinks that we’re the only club that shouldn’t. 

Thinking about it. Liverpool sold Mane didn’t they?

Huge player for them at the time.

Its sour for us because the difference in our results from one player is night and day.