Worst return for transfer fee paid

Beth

Whats the criteria? I’m inclined to mention players like Feraday or Franz Carr but I suspect the fees were so relatively low… 

Similarly, players like Kilcline or Rob Lee had a positive impact well above measurement by fees or goals.

Edited by Pons Alias

Joelinton wins this by a country mile. Cort was a good player ruined by injury. Luque was awful value for money and when I think about it Marcelino runs Joelinton pretty close. At least Joelinton will actually get on the field I’ve no idea if Marcelino could actually play the soft cunt.

in fact, give me Joelinton over Marcelino.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Pons Alias said:

Whats the criteria? I’m inclined to mention players like Feraday or Franz Carr but I suspect the fees were so relatively low… 

Similarly, players like Kilcline or Rob Lee had a positive impact well above measurement by fees or goals.

Rob Lee is the best pound for pound signing we’ve ever made, a phenomenal player for what he cost, even if he cost a few million he would have been an absolute bargain, a masterstroke by KK

Honestly, Newcastle have not spent anywhere enough money in recent years for this thread to be interesting. :lol: The Obafemi Martins signing was relatively more expensive (compared to the rest of the market) than anyone signed under Ashley, outside of the outlier and/or blatantly corrupt Joelinton signing, and this was nearly fifteen years ago. The problem with the club is certainly not value for money. The answer is Joelinton, but it is somewhat by default, tbh, it is not as though this is a club that takes risks with big money signings.

What about Dave Beasant?  That was a cluster-fuck of a transfer. We never did well with Wimbledon players before Barton.  - Glynn Hodges was another.

Or for another goalie, Mike Hooper, the birdwatcher. 

18 minutes ago, Pons Alias said:

What about Dave Beasant?  That was a cluster-fuck of a transfer. We never did well with Wimbledon players before Barton.  - Glynn Hodges was another.

Or for another goalie, Mike Hooper, the birdwatcher. 

Birdwatching is mint, go on Mike.

15 hours ago, HTT II said:

Rob Lee is the best pound for pound signing we’ve ever made, a phenomenal player for what he cost, even if he cost a few million he would have been an absolute bargain, a masterstroke by KK

Wrong thread :D

12 hours ago, The Blackbelts said:

Rivière and Viana have got to be in there 

Viana is definitely up there - he also has to be the biggest disappointment as he came with a decent reputation. 

2 minutes ago, duo said:

Viana is definitely up there - he also has to be the biggest disappointment as he came with a decent reputation. 

Nah...he was just an example of us not being able to use a player properly. A few shockers aside he was pretty good, just totally wilted under crowd pressure.

As someone said he was 5 years too early...should have been the Speed replacement, not playing alongside

Heres a couple from abroad.

Lentini - went to Milan for world record transfer just before Shearers and got injured in a car crash in his second season. Ultimately forced his retirement from the game.

Pancev - went to inter for a then huge fee as he was a hugely prolific striker as well as european cup winner and golden boot winner and scored 3 goals in 3 years.

If looking at other teams the Mackems must have a fair few in there...

Didier N'Dong - 18M released for free

Rodwell - 13M released for free

Ricky Alvarez - 9.5M and never even actually went to them

Marcelino instantly sprung to my mind the moment I saw the thread title. £6m was a lot in 1999, especially for a defender - it's still more than we paid for a lot of our current first time - Dubravka, Hayden, Lascelles, Schaar, Fernandez etc. and he was gash, and never fit.