Jump to content

Best pound for pound signings


Nobody
 Share

Recommended Posts

Tim Krul must be in with a shout. Virtually cost nothing. Yohan Cabaye deserves a mention given how key he was for us. Four million was a steal. Ben Arfa was only 5 million, too.

 

Even Saint Maximin could be considered. Under today’s standard, he’s a steal. 
 

I am going to go with Ben Arfa out of bias personal memories of loving him playing for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Shearer for £15m. 206 goals and made us feel like the biggest club in the world. Imagine if we did something like that these days. We may never see it again. 

Shearer is the GOAT but he was the world record transfer at the time. Today that 15 million would be €223 million.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BlackandWhite said:

Tim Krul must be in with a shout. Virtually cost nothing. Yohan Cabaye deserves a mention given how key he was for us. Four million was a steal. Ben Arfa was only 5 million, too.

 

Even Saint Maximin could be considered. Under today’s standard, he’s a steal. 
 

I am going to go with Ben Arfa out of bias personal memories of loving him playing for us.

Cabaye definitely ...demba ba was a decent buy as well   

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Scott Sellars

Robert Lee

Barry Venison

Excellent shouts.

Dave MccReery would be up there for me too. Not sure how much he cost but suspect not much and was tremendous servant.

Short term signings must include Paul Goddard; outstanding for us. Free signing Sibierski must get a shout.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So many from Keegan's (first!) reign.

 

Rob Lee, John Beresford, Andy Cole, Peter Beardsley, Barry Venison. None of them cost much, perhaps except Cole who was relatively expensive given his pedigree (or lack thereof) and us being in the 2nd tier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think this one's a lot harder than the other. Shearer was probably our best/most important signing arguably ever, but we got what we paid for. 

 

In terms of biggest bargain, or players who delivered a return way beyond what we paid, there's so many potential candidates. I never experienced them at their best but Cole, Beardsley and Lee are probably all right up there? (@Chris_R pinched this whilst I was typing, fucker). 

 

In my era, Given, Speed, Solano, Hughes, O'Brien, Krul, Lovenkrands, Routledge, HBA, Cabaye, Ba, Perez, Lascelles, Gayle, Ritchie, Clark, Dubravka, Schar, Rondon all represented particularly excellent value for money imo. Discounted Bellers cos he was always injured at crucial times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Malcolm Allen looked like an excellent buy before injury - but we’ll never know.

 

Financially, it must be Carroll who cost us nowt.

 

But for me, it’s Brian Kincline - without him, we drop to Div3 in ‘92 and face Armageddon.

 

‘Keegan is in no doubt about the contribution Kilcline made.

 

“Brian was brilliant,” he said.

“He doesn’t think the world owes him a living. A great pro. He got in among the players and helped turn the club around.”

 

Or to sum up: “The best signing I ever made for Newcastle United.”’

 

The other players I supposed I would have to mention are Peacock and Kelly. Their goals built the momentum that took us up and gave us a platform to become established as a PL side.

 

 

Edited by Pons Alias
I forgot David Kelly and Gavin Peacock

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Sissoko. £2m fee, sold for £30m.

 

I feel like that's an answer to a slightly different question personally but it's a fair shout. The financial return on him and Ayoze is crazy. Carroll as well obviously, not that we bought him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Think this one's a lot harder than the other. Shearer was probably our best/most important signing arguably ever, but we got what we paid for. 

 

In terms of biggest bargain, or players who delivered a return way beyond what we paid, there's so many potential candidates. I never experienced them at their best but Cole, Beardsley and Lee are probably all right up there? (@Chris_R pinched this whilst I was typing, fucker). 

 

In my era, Given, Speed, Solano, Hughes, O'Brien, Krul, Lovenkrands, Routledge, HBA, Cabaye, Ba, Perez, Lascelles, Gayle, Ritchie, Clark, Dubravka, Schar, Rondon all represented particularly excellent value for money imo. Discounted Bellers cos he was always injured at crucial times. 

 

O'Brien [emoji38]..dunno how much we signed him for like but he wasn't very good, i did quite like the bloke though, did his best.

Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

 

I feel like that's an answer to a slightly different question personally but it's a fair shout. The financial return on him and Ayoze is crazy. Carroll as well obviously, not that we bought him. 

I still don't rate Sissoko, his decent tournament (where he didn't get a goal or assist) inflated his price by about 15 million :lol: Bloke could run with the ball for ages, but ask him to pass or cross it and he was useless. 

 Ayoze though, terrific player :smitten:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...