Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

On 07/11/2021 at 08:00, Sean said:

I see Eddie Howe as a gamble...one that has every chance of paying off but still a gamble none the less. Would be really encouraging to see a DOF and high level executives with experience of working in successful set-ups, the like of which we would hope to emulate/improve upon in the coming years. Michael Emenalo would be a good fit I feel. Just please not Richard Hughes.

Anyone is a gamble when you have a poor, disjointed squad.

Emenalo is the sexy choice but my Liverpool mates always rave about Edwards and the transfer team there.

They were in for Lewis aand rated him to develop but Norwich priced him too high. Got Tsimi instead who is now arguably their best LB.

Either seem great. Campos/rangnick or Henrique too. Hope it's sorted over the next week or so. Would be another big boost.

It was Emenalo who identified Belgium as a blossoming market and, with his scouts, spotted and signed talents such as Kevin De Bruyne, Romelu Lukaku and Thibaut Courtois, while also helping to convince Eden Hazard to later join the Blues.

Emenalo also played a big part in the development and the success of Chelsea’s academy and, as detailed in an interview with Telegraph Sport in 2019, once prevented an ex-manager from arguing it should be shut down.

“I defended the academy when there was pressure and doubt and pessimism,” said Emenalo. “There was a time when there was a clamour to do more and a manager came in to make a presentation to say the academy was not necessary. The argument was that it takes too long, we don’t have time, we should use it to make some money here and there, and that the owner should stop pumping money into it because it seemed like a waste.

“But that wasn’t my idea and I had to fight against it. This is where I am very, very proud of the owner Roman Abramovich because of the trust he had in me and the willingness to listen to me and give the academy time. He would not abandon it. He believed in it and in me, and I can’t thank him enough for that.”

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Emenalo is the sexy choice but my Liverpool mates always rave about Edwards and the transfer team there.

They were in for Lewis aand rated him to develop but Norwich priced him too high. Got Tsimi instead who is now arguably their best LB.

Either seem great. Campos/rangnick or Henrique too. Hope it's sorted over the next week or so. Would be another big boost.

I'd easily win that argument. There's a certain scotsman who regularly plays for them there who is a bit better. 

Full telegraph article on Emenalo below. Well worth a read.

Exclusive: Michael Emenalo the leading candidate for Newcastle United director of football job

Emenalo worked for 10 years in a similar role at Chelsea and is known to be a fan of prospective new manager Eddie Howe

Former Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo has emerged as the leading contender to become Newcastle United's new director of football.

Telegraph Sport can reveal that Newcastle hope to follow up the appointment of Eddie Howe as manager by finalising a hugely ambitious move for Emenalo.

It is understood that Emenalo last week travelled to Saudi Arabia to speak to Newcastle’s new owners and that he is now their first choice for the director of football job.

Newcastle had managed to keep their interest in Emenalo secret and neither the club nor him have commented on his trip or talks, but the ex-Nigerian international was spotted in Jeddah by a number of sources.

Negotiations are expected to accelerate over the international break, but there is no timeline over when a final decision will be made with both parties needing to discuss a number of issues.

Emenalo’s appointment would be great news for Howe, as the 56-year-old is a big fan of the former Bournemouth manager and is understood to have spoken positively about him during his own conversations with Newcastle’s owners.

Former Arsenal winger Marc Overmars has also been linked with the director of football job at Newcastle, along with Frank McParland, but Emenalo is now the frontrunner for the position.

Emenalo is widely regarded as one of the best operators in his field in football, chiefly for his work at Chelsea where he spent 10 hugely successful years.

During Emenalo’s time with the club, Chelsea won the Premier League title three times, the FA Cup, the League Cup, the Europa League and the Champions League.

He was one of the club’s key decision makers in the appointment of managers, working with 10 during his time at Stamford Bridge, and also played a big role in first-team recruitment.

It was Emenalo who identified Belgium as a blossoming market and, with his scouts, spotted and signed talents such as Kevin De Bruyne, Romelu Lukaku and Thibaut Courtois, while also helping to convince Eden Hazard to later join the Blues.

Emenalo also played a big part in the development and the success of Chelsea’s academy and, as detailed in an interview with Telegraph Sport in 2019, once prevented an ex-manager from arguing it should be shut down.

“I defended the academy when there was pressure and doubt and pessimism,” said Emenalo. “There was a time when there was a clamour to do more and a manager came in to make a presentation to say the academy was not necessary. The argument was that it takes too long, we don’t have time, we should use it to make some money here and there, and that the owner should stop pumping money into it because it seemed like a waste.

“But that wasn’t my idea and I had to fight against it. This is where I am very, very proud of the owner Roman Abramovich because of the trust he had in me and the willingness to listen to me and give the academy time. He would not abandon it. He believed in it and in me, and I can’t thank him enough for that.”

Chelsea have since profited immeasurably from the club’s academy with graduates such as Mason Mount, Reece James, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Ruben Loftus-Cheek establishing themselves as first-team regulars and others, such as Tammy Abraham, Fikayo Tomori and Marc Guehi, earning the club millions.

Emenalo’s philosophy on loaning players out has also proved to be revolutionary, with Chelsea profiting financially and in a sporting sense from his belief that older academy graduates should play at least 45 games to get them ready for the rigours of first-team football in the Premier League.

Chelsea’s so-called ‘loan army’ was initially met with great scepticism and criticism, but it has since been copied by a number of top clubs around the world.

After resigning from his position at Chelsea in November 2017, Emenalo later experienced a more difficult spell at Monaco, joining the club at a time of great upheaval at the end of a successful cycle for the Ligue 1 club.

Emenalo was forced to cope with the sale of high-profile players and the coming and going of coaches before eventually leaving Monaco by mutual consent just over two years ago.

But, given the deep-rooted problems Monaco experienced throughout the club, Emenalo’s reputation within football was not tainted by his spell in Ligue 1 and he has since received a number of offers to return to work.

In an interview with the Guardian last year, Emenalo said: “The future for me is to get back in the industry. I’ve just turned 55 and I have 12 years of experience at director level. I can perform the job even better now. I would like an opportunity to get back with a serious club – ideally in the Premier League.”

Don't think there's been a DoF linked that I'd say no to tbh. Just purely based on their players, the type of football I like, and his very strong link with Howe, I'd go for Michael Edwards, but Michael Emenalo, Henrique, Ralf Rangnick, and Luis Campos are all basically the best DoFs out there aren't they? Should probably be looking at Tony Jimenez as well like. 

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye, I’m thanking you in Nigerian I think [emoji38]

Ah, right! ;D ;D ;D

That's the Yoruba language. I'm from the Eastern part of Nigeria, which is the Igbo language. 

Appreciate the effort though :lol: :thup: 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Ah, right! ;D ;D ;D

That's the Yoruba language. I'm from the Eastern part of Nigeria, which is the Igbo language. 

Appreciate the effort though :lol: :thup: 

I’ve learned through my wife that in Africa, there is more dialect differences than anywhere on earth, my wife can speak a form of Swahili that only certain others like herself can ever understand or speak, it’s like a language within itself all on its own. I understand Swahili a lot and can speak it broadly, but don’t have the confidence to fully converse, but again, when it comes to specific native to ones own tribe as she calls it dialect, that’s a whole new language. 

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Some of the comments from Chelsea fans in the Telegraph tweet are glowing about this guy.

Yeah, he is legit, trust me. Followed his time at Chelsea very closely. Roman absolutely loved the guy.

Fucking hell HTT get your Nigerian regional language sorted, it's frankly embarrassing, as soon asi saw your post I thought... 'jesus he doesn't know thats Yoruba where it should potentially be Lgbo..'

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’ve learned through my wife that in Africa, there is more dialect differences than anywhere on earth, my wife can speak a form of Swahili that only certain others like herself can ever understand or speak, it’s like a language within itself all on its own. I understand Swahili a lot and can speak it broadly, but don’t have the confidence to fully converse, but again, when it comes to specifics native dialect, that’s a whole new language. 

Yeah, it's intense man. Nigeria has 500+ languages in itself, with so many intricate different dialects like you say.