Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

I really like Dan Ashworth as an appointment - he might not be number for 1 for recruiting players but all round from setting up the football club, help implement a good youth development program, finding key staff etc he knows how to do it as seen with the England set up. I hope we start getting other key staff in place who meet his philosophy.

Given a bigger budget I hope he can bring through even better talent and make a recruitment team which can identify players with even higher skill ceilings.

For the record, my number 1 for player recruitment would have been Luis Campos who helped Monaco and Lille win French Ligue 1 (found/ signed Mbappe, Fabinho, James Rodriguez, Falcao,  Bernado Silva, Osimhen, Pepe, Lemar etc). You can see he found £1bn+ worth of talent BUT he would mainly help us on the recruitment side only. Ashworth can help in other aspects, especially as he's familiar with the English game that I think will benefit us in the long-term.

Am I getting this wrong?
I thought it unlikely Ashworth will be scouting any players. He’ll tasked with identifying and employing the scouts who found the likes of Mahrez and Kante. He will set up those depts and they will report to him.

It will be up to him, I would imagine to got those players signed on at the club once the scout has actually tapped them up (joke/ prolly not joke….).

3 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Am I getting this wrong?
I thought it unlikely Ashworth will be scouting any players. He’ll tasked with identifying and employing the scouts who found the likes of Mahrez and Kante. He will set up those depts and they will report to him.

It will be up to him, I would imagine to got those players signed on at the club once the scout has actually tapped them up (joke/ prolly not joke….).

That's how I understand it to be

So he'll set up the scouting/recruitment and they'll report into him but as explained in that interview shared earlier he was responsible for 6 areas which is the men and womens first team, the academy, medical/sports science, loans as well as recruitment. 

I would expect it to be a similar set up here and he'll report to a CEO (for which the club is recruiting)

25 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

You seem to be confusing the DoF role with the chief scout role. We don't just need some better players, we need the entire footballing side of the club gutted and brought to a much higher level.

Ashworth hasn't been a TD at a club long enough for me to know the long-term benefits of what he's doing behind the scenes. He's been there for 3 years and from what I understand, Brighton were already a well-run club. Having gained promotion and stayed up for 2 seasons. Not been there long enough to see youth players coming through.

I take the England stuff with a pinch of salt. The clubs develop the players. We are a decade plus into significant investment from City and Chelsea. They've started producing a conveyer-belt of class players with the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United & Liverpool still developing talent at a great rate. That's the driving force behind England's uptick in performance.

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Am I getting this wrong?

Yes and there's no evidence of him getting scouts of that level. Brighton have been signing the likes of Lamptey, Cucurella, Moder.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

l take the England stuff with a pinch of salt. The clubs develop the players. We are a decade plus into significant investment from City and Chelsea. They've started producing a conveyer-belt of class players with the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United & Liverpool still developing talent at a great rate. That's the driving force behind England's uptick in performance.

Of the 11 players who started the Euro final, only two of them came through the academy of one of those clubs you’ve listed. That’s just totally inaccurate.

Well, we’ll have to see what he’s about in due course. We’re not a club trying to move from the top 8 to the top 4, we’re trying to get ourselves into 17th and from where we are, Brighton are streets ahead of us wrt to organisation and the implementation of a consistent philosophy. 

8 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Of the 11 players who started the Euro final, only two of them came through the academy of one of those clubs you’ve listed. That’s just totally inaccurate.

Fair, although I think it's 4 starters (Sterling, Trippier, Rice & Mount) and 3 off the bench (Saka, Sancho, Rashford).

Genuinely, what impact did Ashworth era Football Association have to do with developing that England squad? Hire Southgate? 

18 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Not to mention that those conveyor belts of talent had produced a golden generation of players who were all fantastic at club level and (with the exception of Ashley Cole and sometimes Beckham) were nowhere near the same level for England. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

4 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Well, we’ll have to see what he’s about in due course. We’re not a club trying to move from the top 8 to the top 4, we’re trying to get ourselves into 17th and from where we are, Brighton are streets ahead of us wrt to organisation and the implementation of a consistent philosophy. 

Not from the summer.

We'll be trying to go from relegation battle level squad to midtable. Happy with Ashworth & Howe for that. Both have experience of that. But what about the following year, midtable to top 8. Neither have experience of that.

Point is.. we need to get some experience of that level soon. If that's our aim.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Fair, although I think it's 4 starters (Sterling, Trippier, Rice & Mount) and 3 off the bench (Saka, Sancho, Rashford).

Genuinely, what impact did Ashworth era Football Association have to do with developing that England squad? Hire Southgate? 

Had incorrectly not included Rice or Trippier. So aye, 4/11. 

I can’t answer that question though as I know very little about Ashworth tbh :lol: was only responding to that point specifically.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Not from the summer.

We'll be trying to go from relegation battle level squad to midtable. Happy with Ashworth & Howe for that. Both have experience of that. But what about the following year, midtable to top 8. Neither have experience of that.

Point is.. we need to get some experience of that level soon. If that's our aim.

Let’s see where we are in the summer 1st. And I agree, in 2 or 3 years let’s see how they’re all doing. If we’re moving in the right direction fast enough I’m sure changes will be made. Incredibly rich people are rarely incredibly patient.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Not from the summer.

Why can’t they do it? Eddie at Bournemouth was always touted for a bigger job and is one of the best coaches in the country. If he can’t coach the players of the calibre we will have that’s different but you give the guy a chance first.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not to mention that those conveyor belts of talent had produced a golden generation of players who were all fantastic at club level and (with the exception of Ashley Cole and sometimes Beckham) were nowhere near the same level for England. 

Sidebar: The depth of this generation is far greater than that one. You had Vassell and Crouch off the bench for those lot. I also think they get a bad rap. They lost to genuinely good teams each time. An all-time great forward line Brazil and Portugal's Golden Gen.

That gen was a better manager and fortuitous draws away from SF's and Finals. Thems the lines.

42 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Am I getting this wrong?

He does something far more important - he sets the vision (along with the manager). If he wants only bargain basement players, scouts/ recruitment team will ever get those. If he says only English players, we'll only get those. He'll take a cue from the owner i.e. where do you want to be in 5 years and then set about making that reality - he will be the one who decides how we get there (unless our owners become like the Everton one and intervenes every other signing). The owners (PIF) will be the ones who sign off on the player (i.e. sign the cheque) but he'll have a big role in any future player we bring to the club.

This is why he's more important than the recruitment team BUT recruitment is also only one aspect, he'll also oversea the whole club and make sure it develops in multiple directions. Anyways I'm quite excited to see what he how the whole clubs develops under his stewardship.

Edited by Phoenix711

1 minute ago, ToonScotman said:

Why can’t they do it? Eddie at Bournemouth was always touted for a bigger job and is one of the best coaches in the country. If he can’t coach the players of the calibre we will have that’s different but you give the guy a chance first.

I haven't said they can't. I just have no evidence that they can. So i'm not that excited.

It's a different level entirely but City brought in Mancini for Hughes and you go - "ok this guy can take us to another level. We've seen it." Or when they got Txiki & co. or Mourinho to Chelsea. They've been to a level that we aspire to get too.

Cooke I think, had no experience in football or at least a proven top level track record. And he did a good job for City tbf. 

That's the appeal of Trippier & Bruno - they've played and looked good for better teams. They can raise our level. SO i'm excited. I thought we needed an attacker of that level too.

I just think it makes no sense to talk about where Brighton finish in the table. There's probably very little functional difference to being successful director of Brighton and Manchester City.

Of course you have more money and you need (your scouting and transfer department) to find better players. But you also have loads more money and greater appeal.

Managers are also like this really, we just don't realise because we're obsessed with outcome over input. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Am not going to pretend I know what this lad does day to day or what his remit is from the board.

His track record is good though, England have improved massively over the last few years and Brighton have been playing us off the park regularly enough in matches.

Not bad for a club that should be below us in terms of size etc.

What exactly the remit is, that's the thing. We've heard from a few different players that we couldn't sign that they weren't buying into our short term or long term plan. Can only put that down to people inexperienced in football taking on too much.

Yes they've exceeded expectations so far but they need to have faith in the right people now. A good CEO in next and we'll be laughing.

Once we get a few wins and safety is looking assured i'd expect them to announce their plans for the training facilities, everything right now is up in the air but won't be for long.

I’m familiar with his England work, if not his Brighton work, he’s been a transformative figure for our national team game from the very bottom to the very top and it’s now a seamless operation at all levels. He’s experienced and has great knowledge and contacts and would be a very very good addition to what is still a skeleton crew here at the club. It’s a no brainier really and I’d be as excited by this appointment as from the signing of say Bruno. We desperately need a DOF badly and he ticks most if not all the boxes.