The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

Just now, Joey Linton said:

Our ownership who they cleared as not being intrinsically linked to the Saudi state? 

Won't matter.

The push as started and its not going to stop until they sell up

7 hours ago, TRon said:

So what was it that made you walk away from football? I know you have probably explained previously, but maybe I missed it.

…So yeah, a combination of things but parity (or the loss of it) was at the root. Abramovich. The Champions League. Mansour. West Ham and the Olympic Stadium vs Leyton Orient. The utter balls-up they’re making of VAR. Man City, Man U and Liverpool shirts all over London playgrounds. Drip. Drip. Drip. I stuck with it for a while because my team seemed to be doing it the “right” way, but I’d had enough a long time ago.

Found out this week that one of my Dad’s passwords is KaneSon61, which simultaneously make me feel happy and sad. He’d become disillusioned with modern football way before me but was never not going to be a Spurs fan and just fucking loves the game. I still want Spurs to win every game 5-0. It just truly does not feel like the same game any more, and the number of ways that was true reached critical mass.

I’m just an old fogey, basically :lol:

Just now, Gaztoon said:

Won't matter.

The push as started and its not going to stop until they sell up

Why would they sell up? And to whom? 

Given all the despicable stuff that has occurred under the control of the Saudi government I dare say they won't be too concerned that Ollie Holt has written some nasty words about them. 

Just now, Joey Linton said:

Why would they sell up? And to whom? 

Given all the despicable stuff that has occurred under the control of the Saudi government I dare say they won't be too concerned that Ollie Holt has written some nasty words about them. 

We'll see I suppose, sure calls for the government to get involved will start soon enough.

The vast amounts the Saudis pump into the British economy may stop that from happening though.

leffe186 (post on previous page)that's remarkably similar to me. 

Blackburn didn't sit well as opposed our more natural similar growth (15k in the PL v 31k in D1) and Chelsea finished off any last lingering love of football. Just didn't matter how well a manager did elsewhere, how many fans a club got - you couldn't compete and feared it was the start of a slipperly slope - but was assured by the media it was good for football (post ITV digital) and that the money would trickle down.

We were the first victims of Abramovic, Chelsea instead of doing a Leeds, leap-frogged us into a champions league place - didn't matter how good Sir Bobby was or how much better our support was. Felt kinda futile. Then Ashley came along and inverted even the ability to enjoy ones own team in itself.

Thus was conditioned to being numb when Man City were bought by even more wealthy owners. 'At least its Man City' I thought. Birmingham and Man City owners doing time, Russia, Qatar World Cups and all the rest of it, football was gone as any kind of moral entity, thought that was a given it was so seldom touched on until it was rediscovered (between world cups that 99% will indulge in) when it came to us.  If we were the first I'd be against it but this is the game everyone else had just gone along with for the last 20years.

Yeah, Neville said he’s now changed his mind and him and Carra agree Howe is fair game. 

Meanwhile in Parliament a govt spokesperson was welcoming the investment.

Perhaps if the PL and Big 6 hadn’t tried as hard as they did to stop the takeover they mightn’t have tripped themselves and got themselves into a corner.

If the Saudis start assisting Putin there’s a different story to be had and the ownership of NUFC will rightly be questioned. There’s a whole can of elsewhere should that happen.

I don’t see anywhere any comment that KSA lawfully attacked rebels in Yemen or that the US and UK were onboard with this whilst also providing humanitarian aid. I know it’s not as simple as that but……

At what point do you say we’ve gone after enough clubs? 

Regardless of anything you can’t approve a takeover and then decide it was wrong because Putin invaded Ukraine. I’d expect the Govt to have a word if the EPL take any action. As undesirable as it may be we need to maintain strong links with KSA.

Anyway, Neville was stirring the pot and Howe can’t be expected to comment on KSA when in essence nothing has changed in the circumstances of the takeover.

Neville is very good at saying a lot that highlights problems but rarely if ever providing actual solutions. 

Talk of regulators is fanciful as it's almost impossible to enforce. FFP stops you doing what Chelsea did and just buy up a boat load of talent - we know because we were told that when PIF took over. You can try to legitimise sponsorships if you want but again, good luck getting that to pass the courts because you can't dictate what a company deems fair value. The chance to stop all this was when Abramovich came in and we didn't. The only reason we even saw him stopped was because he had ties to someone attacking a fellow European country. We're not going to suddenly start removing owners tied to fighting wars in the middle east. I'd like us to have more of a conscious with this stuff, but the sad truth is our governments do too many deals with these types to make such a thing possible.

The place we're at now - as a society - means simply expelling them won't achieve anything. You're going to have drag them towards our way of thinking (if such a thing is even possible). 

Guest reefatoon
Just now, ManDoon said:

Burn football and start it again. We’d have a great advantage in a one club city. 

let’s have a few more wins first. We’ve waited long enough 

Probably just shouldn't be allowed to be owned by anybody outside whatever country your team is in.

Get no cultural differences that way.

There again why just limit it to football or sport. Its the same tentacles in business and the same morals.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Guest reefatoon

Think Eddie Howe is being really patient too, calmly replies to each question that he is only talking about football. He needs to carry on doing that calmly as they are only trying to get a reaction from him.

5 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Prove it legally.  Until then its just pissing in the wind!

Because of it obviously fucking is its the Saudi fucking public investment fund. Not so my e random blokes investment portfolio. You can cling to whatever league decision you want but don't pretend to be daft enough not to understand how the Saudi Public Investment Fund might have strong links to Saudi :lol:

8 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Burn football and start it again. We’d have a great advantage in a one club city. 

It wouldn't be a one-club city if football started again. The mackems would take a back seat and our new rivals would undoubtedly be the newly formed FC AlexHurst-MichaelMartin.

Sporting Club de Steve Wraith would also be wanting a look in too.

10 minutes ago, Si said:

Because of it obviously fucking is its the Saudi fucking public investment fund. Not so my e random blokes investment portfolio. You can cling to whatever league decision you want but don't pretend to be daft enough not to understand how the Saudi Public Investment Fund might have strong links to Saudi :lol:

Prove it legally then.  That's all that matters.  

13 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Prove it legally then.  That's all that matters.  

From the PIF website "Under the chairmanship and guidance of HRH Prince Mohammad bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the Board is responsible for overseeing PIF’s long-term strategy, investment policy and performance."

I think you are getting confused the Premier League didn't say there were no connections between PIF and Saudi they received reassurances that the Saudi Gov wouldn't be involved in the day to day running of the club. Putting it in other terms the links between our club and it's funding are more explicit than they are between Putin and Abrhamovich. 

Edited by Si

Boris is off to Saudi this week, in what world are the govt going to sanction KSA and PIF to sell us. It’s absolutely laughable how pundits have dragged us into this, where’s the calls for Man City to be sanctioned as they are part of the coalition that bombs Yemen.

The undercurrent to this remains jealousy and fear of what NUFC can become. These same pundits and journos will be lapping it up in Qatar later this year.

Edited by Whitley mag

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Boris is off to Saudi this week, in what world are the govt going to sanction KSA and PIF to sell us. It’s absolutely laughable how pundits have dragged us into this, where’s the calls for Man City to be sanctioned as they are part of the coalition that bombs Yemen.

The undercurrent to this remains jealousy and fear of what NUFC can become. These same pundits and journos will be lapping it up in Qatar later this year.

Boris was also taking Russian money a month or two ago.

3 minutes ago, Si said:

Boris was also taking Russian money a month or two ago.

Saudi Arabia are one of our oldest allies, the same can’t be said for Russia. It’s just never happening, the relationship is vital to western influence in Middle East.

Edited by Whitley mag