The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

Yeah, didn't we all learn - the moment the takeover happened - that the separation stuff was basically a smokescreen of the real issue, which was Saudi stealing the PL's (and its commercial partner's) product? 

19 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Dont give a shit how many lawyers say they are seperate it's obviously the state investment arm and its run by the dude in charge. It is obvious and self evident. 

Nice one - law doesn't work for me so I will ignore!

Two recent events -

Gina Miller took the government to court as they believed that they didn't need to get the Brexit deal ratified in the HoC even though they were legally obliged to do so.   Boris and his cabinet didn't like that legal obligation either.  They lost in court

Mr Putin didn't like the international law about Crimea and Ukraine as it didn't work for him and so decided to invade Ukraine.  The world has responded with sanctions etc.

I know Im being an arse here but then the media etc and some on here are being arseholes as well by deciding to pick and choose what laws they want to follow and what they want to ignore if it doesn't suit their agenda/viewpoint.

What these people are promoting is anarchy.  If you dont like a law, then challenge it at the source and seek to change it through the courts.  Asking a football manager what he thinks about what the Saudi Government is doing is the biggest whataboutry of all time but is tolerated because a certain number of people have decided that legal rulings are not for them in this case.

Just now, The Prophet said:

It isn't law though :lol:

It is!  PIF is legally separate from the Saudi Government in Saudi Law and that is why the PL caved in.  They couldn't prove otherwise when challenged legally.  Thats why the UK government say its a commercial deal.

You can argue all you like about your own personal opinion but it doesn't matter, you opinion is legally incorrect. We will go round in circles forever but at the end of the day - the law wins

3 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

As I understood, those 81 executions belong to sentences of crimes that have been accumulated since 2016, but the the execution was just approved now. It’s not like they execute 81 lives every day or even every year. Even by scale, that is not far from the US. 

Oh, I'm positive we have more than 81 since 2016. Sounds like they are just trying to finesse their numbers in the system to seem big league like the U.S.

You've got a long way to go, Saudis, but keep grinding and you'll get there one day. #hardwork #hustleculture #dontkillnonecantgetnone

The separation stuff was due to the KSA/MBS not wanting to be subject to the PL O&D test. They probably would've passed the O&D test, irrespective of the piracy stuff, but they were clearly never going to agree to be subject to it.

However, it was probably because of the piracy that the PL insisted that the KSA should be disclosed as a director, knowing the they would never agree rather than it being something they would be disqualified on.

12 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Oh, I'm positive we have more than 81 since 2016. Sounds like they are just trying to finesse their numbers in the system to seem big league like the U.S.

You've got a long way to go, Saudis, but keep grinding and you'll get there one day. #hardwork #hustleculture #dontkillnonecantgetnone

They clearly just need to dust their axes down, roll their sleeves up and go again. 

4 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

They clearly just need to dust their axes down, roll their sleeves up and go again. 

Maybe that's part of why I don't give a fuck about Saudi ownership, other than being happy to win some games.

When you're in a country that does lethal injection by whatever you have around the house, allows police to routinely execute citizens without due process, and is in the process of reinstating the Jim Crowe laws and rolling back the civil rights act, it kind of disillusions you about the merits of one government or another.

I'm glad I don't live in a theocratic police state such as Saudi, I'm also well aware that I live right next fucking door.

You guys aren't that far behind us for that matter, you just need some snake handling episcopalians and you'll be right in with a shout.

4 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

The US also executes hundreds of 'terrorists' each year, without trial, by drone strike.

I mean once you go outside the boundaries of "court ordered executions with due process" it's open season my dude. Our police forces execute U.S. citizens without trial or consequence on a regular basis, so you don't even need to go abroad to make your point.

Adding in the fact that we've been actively engaged in multiple concurrent wars for the last 20 years or so is really kind of cheating.

Just now, veriaqa said:

So, when the Saudi will sell NUFC? I heard that the UK will ban Saudi's too?

The Saudis are a long time strategic ally of the UK and are using weapons purchased from the UK to facilitate their war in Yemen, so that's unlikely.

15 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

https://news.sky.com/story/mps-call-on-boris-johnson-to-cancel-saudi-arabia-visit-after-mass-execution-as-minister-defends-newcastle-united-takeover-12566369?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

However, foreign office minister Amanda Milling defended the Saudi investment in the Premier League side.

"The Saudi Arabian public investment fund is a significant investor, having invested billions in the UK and other Western markets," she said.

"It operates across a range of sectors. We welcome the purchase of Newcastle United, a sign that the UK remains a great place to invest."

The narrative tonight was very interesting.

Roman Abramovic had ties to Putin when be purchased Chelsea. A convicted criminal bought Manchester City and they were sold to a member of the Abu Dhabi Royal family. Various parties in Saudi Arabia have been allowed to form a "strategic partnership" with Man United, own Sheffield United and now own an 80% share in us. A Qatari broadcaster has significsht sway over the PL.

All of this has been allowed to happen by the Premier League, while Sky have acted as cheer leaders to the "best league in the world".

Now one of the individuals in question has brought their unpalatable behaviour to our doorstep, Sky have decided they have a conscience and what's really important to them is that Thomas Tuchel and Eddie Howe pass comment on their respective owners. It's pearl clutching of the highest order.

3 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

It wouldn't be a one-club city if football started again. The mackems would take a back seat and our new rivals would undoubtedly be the newly formed FC AlexHurst-MichaelMartin.

Sporting Club de Steve Wraith would also be wanting a look in too.

I mean, surely Wraith Rovers?

58 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

No problem in terms of Saudi-UK relationship for now. But I suppose the PL could revoke PIF's directorship at any time if they ever radically overhauled their owners test?

48 minutes ago, welk666 said:

"Gwyn" has no morals ! Saudis killed over 80 people ! Prob on trumped up charges ! Embarressed is not the word for criminals to be owning football clubs ?

Have you always been embarrassed or is it just a new(castle) thing?

Speaking as someone who genuinely did boycott that last world cup and didn't see anybody else doing that.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Its really weird and quite sad that Eddie Howe is getting asked these sort of questions, he's a football manager hired to manage a football club and has worked extremely hard to acheive a tremendous job, he should feel proud of himself yet they are trying to make him and as always us feel bad about it.

6 hours ago, The Prophet said:

The narrative tonight was very interesting.

Roman Abramovic had ties to Putin when be purchased Chelsea. A convicted criminal bought Manchester City and they were sold to a member of the Abu Dhabi Royal family. Various parties in Saudi Arabia have been allowed to form a "strategic partnership" with Man United, own Sheffield United and now own an 80% share in us. A Qatari broadcaster has significsht sway over the PL.

All of this has been allowed to happen by the Premier League, while Sky have acted as cheer leaders to the "best league in the world".

Now one of the individuals in question has brought their unpalatable behaviour to our doorstep, Sky have decided they have a conscience and what's really important to them is that Thomas Tuchel and Eddie Howe pass comment on their respective owners. It's pearl clutching of the highest order.

The fact Tuchel is deemed 'statesmen like' for saying war is bad when he knew who he was working with when he joined the club speaks strongly to how performative a lot of this is. If Eddie Howe simply said 'killing people is bad' they'd call him Churchill.

6 hours ago, buzz said:

No problem in terms of Saudi-UK relationship for now. But I suppose the PL could revoke PIF's directorship at any time if they ever radically overhauled their owners test?

Good luck to the PL with that, they’d be holding football to a completely different standard to other businesses within the U.K. As the minister quite rightly said PIF invest billions in the western economy, regardless of links to the govt our current directors would pass the O&D test. The only reason Abramovich is no longer at Chelsea is govt sanctions, that’s just not happening anytime soon with Saudi Arabia.