The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

The questions are just something ourselves and Eddie will have to put up with, it comes with the territory. 

The journalists know full well they won't get an answer from him but it helps spread awareness and becomes a story when they ask the manager at a press conference. 

42 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

No difference in terms of being qualified to answer the questions being put to Howe tbh.

But a steward doesn't tend to be interviewed on the telly. One way to counter sportswashing is to bring these things up at things such as these press conferences. I don't blame Howe for not having an answer, but also think it's fair and probably good to ask him - it's more about bringing it up than hearing Howe's thoughts.

11 hours ago, triggs said:

How does a football journalist ask the powers that be? Howe is essentially the face of Newcastle Utd. He's forced to do a press conference twice a week, nobody else is

So, because they can't find an easy way to ask the right person (even though they could easily ask the club, the PL or the govt anything they liked at any time), they should be allowed to ask the wrong person in the post match presser instead?

He's a football manager, and obliged to answer sports questions as a result. I don't know why I need to hear his opinions on geopolitics re the war in Ukraine, or the internal affairs of a Middle Eastern state when that's not his job. Nor why I should pay any attention to them even if he did.

He can of course choose to offer any personal opinions other than on football that he might have, if asked, but that's entirely up to him.

He might well have thought deeply about PIF's ownership. He might well not. I don't know or care myself. Because that's also up to him - his personal thoughts and ethics are entirely his own business.

And it's clear that the whole tone of the questions are to try and set an elephant trap, so that the press can claim a "gotcha" moment whatever he would have said to create a headline. He's both wise and correct to avoid all that.

For what it's worth, only one owner of a football club on Sunday has had the legitimacy of the source of their wealth recently publicly questioned by the BBC and mainstream press, been officially sanctioned by the UK government (sanctions that club then tried to remove claiming 'sporting integrity') and been banned as a director by the PL for links to Russia, who are currently engaged in an invasion which could ultimately lead to nuclear Armageddon.

Ah, yes, but what about Eddie Howe choosing not to answer a stupid question ...

Edited by Abacus

It's sensationalism not journalism and Eddie is an easy target to hit - instead of doing the hard yards and getting to speak to the people with influence just use a footballing press conference to chuck some grenades. 

Guest HTT II
27 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

But a steward doesn't tend to be interviewed on the telly. One way to counter sportswashing is to bring these things up at things such as these press conferences. I don't blame Howe for not having an answer, but also think it's fair and probably good to ask him - it's more about bringing it up than hearing Howe's thoughts.

It’s not fair at all, not when they are asking the wrong people or just the wrong people only, again, let’s not stop there, let’s ask the tea lady too? I’m all for asking the tough questions, anyone committing bad acts need questioned, outed and held to account, but Eddie Howe is the wrong person to be asking and so are fans, it’s actually really offensive the more I think about it and on so many levels because these false people won’t dare ask the same of the real culprits or would consider their own position in such matters if questions were asked of them on their opinions, self interest etc.!

Which as so-called journos and reporters it’s them who should be asked about their own moral compass the most when it comes to seeking truth and justice on such matters which them and their professions professes to seek, harbour and obey when reporting on/looking into. Bull shit!

I don’t give a shit about what Howe thinks about SA, hot dogs, or any other shit. I do when it’s our government though or the powers that be who make decisions on our so-called behalf that effect such matters like allowing a gangster criminal Russian oligarch to buy Chelsea, London property, have citizenship here and buy success with money that he stole. I want to know what the FA, the PL and my government think about SA and 81 executions, not some lame duck manager sitting at a press conference confronted by snakes…

Ironically we now know what they think about Abramovic, he’s bad for business, Sauid oil, however, or Eddie Howe answering questions or not, though…

Edited by HTT II

There's some pretty shocking stuff in this thread.

I do not like our owners, but I think the club is only guilty through extension and association. As the reporting here says, the British government are actively complicit and using Britain's own armed forces to help. That's not what lads and lasses in the forces signed up for.

43 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

The questions are just something ourselves and Eddie will have to put up with, it comes with the territory. 

The journalists know full well they won't get an answer from him but it helps spread awareness and becomes a story when they ask the manager at a press conference. 

That's fine, the journalists can ask their questions and Eddie can keep telling them "sorry ladies and gentlemen, I'm only here to talk about the football. Next question please..."

45 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

All while never applying the same logic and doing anything to ask those in actual positions of power. It's not like they'd answer either but at least they have the answers. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Guest HTT II

I’d just like to explore the offensive stuff regarding opinions on our takeover and SA, a whole nation and people are basically being tarred with a murderous, blood on their hands, anti gay, anti women, war mongering narrative that is highly offensive to said nation and people who by and large yes live by the laws and ways of the land, but are peaceful people in general and if you read RAWK or RTG for example, or the media shit, any thread/news report pertaining to us or topic basically lumps the whole of SA and now us in with as being murderers, nonces, terrorists, anti gay, anti women, executing people willy nilly etc.

Give me sports washing over this shit because it’s far more damaging! That’s one side of the topic/or debate people ignore whether deliberately or through ignorance but it’s more real than sportswashing. I’ve been called a 9/11 supporter, a terrorist, a murderer, a nonce, anti gay, anti women, pro war, anti Yemen, the lot, if not directly then through the media, through discussion, debate and rhetoric and all because my football club is owned by a SA company, of which I have no say in or part in and never will, but aye HTT what about those 81 people executed, shame on you…

It’s even worse for actual SA people and Arabs…

Edited by HTT II

13 minutes ago, Stottie said:

There's some pretty shocking stuff in this thread.

I do not like our owners, but I think the club is only guilty through extension and association. As the reporting here says, the British government are actively complicit and using Britain's own armed forces to help. That's not what lads and lasses in the forces signed up for.

He's literally sat there smiling next to a guy who had a journalist dismembered. Puts the constant sniping at Howe into perspective.

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

I think it's more important to do that, but that's not generally in the power of people asking Howe.

No doubt, but when those that do have the power to ask don't, it strikes me as a convenient deflection for those in power that these questions are put to people in football and kept within that environment. Not exclusive to this topic either, the same applies with the fixation on footballers wages too. 

Maybe a bit of an aside, but I remember watching Manufacturing Consent a while ago and brushing off what I thought was a massively far-fetched notion. The notion that sport is used as a political tool by those in power to deflect, distract, promote irrational submission to authority/tribalism/nationalism, and as something inconsequential for people to pour their mental energy into that keeps us away from those in power.

As time's gone on, the more I think about that the more it rings true. 

2 hours ago, triggs said:

Newcastle Utd are owned by Saudi Arabia so he works for Saudi Arabia. Bit of a difference between a millionaire manager and a tea lady or steward

I'm sorry like, but that is bullshit. Howe works for NUFC. Just because NUFC happens to have a majority owner in SA, does not mean he works for Saudi Arabia.

He works for Saudi Arabia as much as Twitter or Disney employees work for Saudi Arabia.

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I'm sorry like, but that is bullshit. Howe works for NUFC. Just because NUFC happens to have a majority owner in SA, does not mean he works for Saudi Arabia.

He works for Saudi Arabia as much as Twitter or Disney employees work for Saudi Arabia.

I get what your saying but this isn’t exactly true. PIF are very much minority shareholders in Disney etc however they are majority owners of NUFC, an important distinction I think. 

It's funny how these 81 "people" executed are viewed in the UK press vs. what they actually are viewed here. A bunch of ISIS and Houthis who killed AND tortured policemen, civilians and their families! Their victims who are in the 100s were never mentioned in the western media over the past deacde. It's even funnier to find out that the media, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty are joining forces with ISIS, AlQaeda, Houthis, Hezbollah and IRGC as the only parties publicly condemning the execution of a bunch of serial killers.

If Saudi Arabia decided to execute 1 per day for the next 81 days, nobody in the world would have talked about it.

You’re telling me there’s a difference between the media in KSA which I’m sure has complete independence and can say whatever it likes with impunity and the media in other countries? That can’t be right, something’s up here 

4 minutes ago, Khalidao said:

It's funny how these 81 "people" executed are viewed in the UK press vs. what they actually are viewed here. A bunch of ISIS and Houthis who killed AND tortured policemen, civilians and their families! Their victims who are in the 100s were never mentioned in the western media over the past deacde. It's even funnier to find out that the media, Human Rights Watch and Amnesty are joining forces with ISIS, AlQaeda, Houthis, Hezbollah and IRGC as the only parties publicly condemning the execution of a bunch of serial killers.

If Saudi Arabia decided to execute 1 per day for the next 81 days, nobody in the world would have talked about it.

You might want to come in a little less hot with your attempts at manipulation. The death penalty isn't acceptable under any circumstances here, so keep that in mind and work backwards from there rather than trying to appeal to us because of who was executed. :thup:

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

You’re telling me there’s a difference between the media in KSA which I’m sure has complete independence and can say whatever it likes with impunity and the media in other countries? That can’t be right, something’s up here 

The victims are people Saudis know personally and have shared their stories over the past decade! Some of the crimes include bombing mosques, markets and were video taped and celebrated by these psychos!

7 minutes ago, Khalidao said:

British people by and large don't believe in capital punishment regardless of who the criminals are, terrorists or otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You might want to come in a little less hot with your attempts at manipulation. The death penalty isn't acceptable under any circumstances here, so you keep that in mind and work backwards from there. :thup:

Last time I checked nobody condemned the US and UK for executing serial killers and rapists.

Just now, Khalidao said:

The victims are people Saudis know personally and have shared their stories over the past decade! Some of the crimes include bombing mosques, markets and were video taped and celebrated by these psychos!

I don’t have a clue what’s going on over there and I haven’t read any articles in any detail so I’ve got fuck all authority to say anything. There might be complete truth to the information you’ve put out here or it could be somewhere on a spectrum from manipulated lies all the way up to truth. The point I’m making is that how much can you trust information if it’s controlled completely by the people in power?