The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

7 hours ago, Conjo said:

Maybe the word means something a bit different in English, but I though xenophobia meant fear, not hate?

'Prejudice' against foreigners. Absolutely founded on racism. 

Last time I looked I didn't see England's gammonati ranting about Australians, Swedes, Ukrainians and any other bunch of honkies coming over here. Just 'swarthies' 😉

Trouble with good old Blighty is we've had centuries of being told how great we are, dumb as fuck foreigners are, white is right. 

It's no wonder huge numbers of the population have unconscious bias (it IS a thing peeps) & can't help but have their outlook steered by it. 

Last 13 years it's gone nuclear, tho, no question. 

Everyone in the entire world has prejudices and spontaneous thoughts about people based on the culture they live and were brought up in. We just need to learn to identify and challenge those ideas with our conscious, reasoning minds and not accept them. 

I'm just about old enough to remember some truly awful stuff my parents and grandparents used to say about other religions and cultures - particularly jewish and black people. On Kaka's point, people around the 80s used to definitely say "you can't be English unless you're white". That's where all those ridiculous "but where are really from?" questions used to come from. And they weren't part of any kind of racist identity or right-wing group, it was just what they thought. IIRC I had arguments about this when I was about 7 or 8 :lol:

For some reason it was always clear to me that this stuff was nonsense and just outdated rubbish. Probably because of education and experiences with books, TV, film etc. What you've been taught (picked up might be a better phrase) and what springs into your head is just mental trash, it's bringing in the reasoning mind to correct yourself that is the important part.

It's a fool's errand (especially for a white person) to try and say to what extent things have got better. I would like to think that views like those above are a very small minority, but they also have the ability to express them online like never before. Having channels like social media that amplify your biases and put you in contact with other people with the same views can't help. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

10 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Why don't they slag off Disney as well.

Because Disney isn’t majority owned by PIF and isn’t being used as a political vehicle?

F1, golf and boxing are closer to what KSA have with NUFC - and they all receive criticism and negative press attention. 

It's so incredibly backward how the Saudi government recognise the need to invest in their young population by (among other things) cultivating their football culture... meanwhile continue to uphold laws which serve to execute members of that young population, without so much as allowing them legal representation. From modernity to medieval. 

Jacob Whitehead is an NUFC correspondent, it makes sense he's covering NUFC and not Disney [emoji38]

A lot of the shit we read from hacks is annoying due to blatant bad faith but there's nothing wrong with that piece.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

36 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's so incredibly backward how the Saudi government recognise the need to invest in their young population by (among other things) cultivating their football culture... meanwhile continue to uphold laws which serve to execute members of that young population, without so much as allowing them legal representation. From modernity to medieval. 

It's good old fashioned bread and circuses imo. I wouldn't look at the modernity and medieval as side by side, but as one being a PR cover for the other. 

Yeah, if they weren't doing the modernity bit and "diversifying" their portfolio there would be a lot more questions being asked about them. That's how it works. 

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Jacob Whitehead is an NUFC correspondent, it makes sense he's covering NUFC and not Disney [emoji38]

A lot of the shit we read from hacks is annoying due to blatant bad faith but there's nothing wrong with that piece.

Absolutely this.

On 04/07/2023 at 04:33, Yorkie said:

Saudi Arabia is undergoing arguably the severest cultural transition in modern existence right now. 

It would not surprise me if they’ve seen things like driving licenses for women as an acceptable trade off to not only appear more modern but also welcoming of tourists/other cultures. 

It’s why pieces like the one Jacob wrote are vital. We need to constantly be pressing on these issues. 

Edited by Viana

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

Interesting, I hope we don't go down this route.

This is honestly so pathetic.

I don't understand what satisfaction is gained by 'winning' this way.

Really hope they figure out a way to properly put a stop to all of this.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

This is honestly so pathetic.

I don't understand what satisfaction is gained by 'winning' this way.

Really hope they figure out a way to properly put a stop to all of this.

If you've watched it, the bit I don't like the most is the behind closed doors approach, with our Arbitration we all tuned in, it was transparent,  with City's appeal it was a court behind closed doors? Absolute shite.

33 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

If you've watched it, the bit I don't like the most is the behind closed doors approach, with our Arbitration we all tuned in, it was transparent,  with City's appeal it was a court behind closed doors? Absolute shite.

Yeah, I watched it. 

It's absolutely disgraceful, honestly. 

All their achievements have been built on the back of this nonsense.

Either everyone sticks to the rules or just remove them altogether. It's all so impossibly dumb.

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

Ours would have been like that also if the PL had their way. 

Can’t knock our current owners playing everything by the book, despite the obstacles being created by the current elite.

Watching that latest video of the Tonali arrival, how can Oliver Holt and Co say we were better off under Ashley and the Saudis have ruined football.

8 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Ours would have been like that also if the PL had their way. 

Can’t knock our current owners playing everything by the book, despite the obstacles being created by the current elite.

Well, if ‘playing by the book’ includes the HoS threatening the UK govt with economic consequences if the takeover is blocked.  That’s pretty normal in any football club takeover I reckon.

https://theathletic.com/4375454/2023/04/06/saudi-newcastle-boris-government/?amp=1

4 hours ago, Ben said:

Watching that latest video of the Tonali arrival, how can Oliver Holt and Co say we were better off under Ashley and the Saudis have ruined football.

Yeah they are two sides of the same Uber  capitalism in football coin imo. The either or good and bad is a complete false dichotomy.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Well, if ‘playing by the book’ includes the HoS threatening the UK govt with economic consequences if the takeover is blocked.  That’s pretty normal in any football club takeover I reckon.

https://theathletic.com/4375454/2023/04/06/saudi-newcastle-boris-government/?amp=1

The takeover was murky as fuck on all sides, but the current board haven’t put a foot out of line since they got the keys.

The PL weren’t playing by the book so it’s hard to blame the Saudi’s for playing their hand in negotiations.

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

The takeover was murky as fuck on all sides, but the current board haven’t put a foot out of line since they got the keys.

The PL weren’t playing by the book so it’s hard to blame the Saudi’s for playing their hand in negotiations.

Perhaps, but the owners certainly can’t be said to have went by the book.  Applying pressure to the UK govt is about as bad as it gets - it’s only a football club at the end of the day.