The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Perhaps, but the owners certainly can’t be said to have went by the book.  Applying pressure to the UK govt is about as bad as it gets - it’s only a football club at the end of the day.  

Alternatively it's a business that wasn't being treated by standard business laws.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Alternatively it's a business that wasn't being treated by standard business laws.

Football clubs don’t generally, as they weren’t set up to be businesses and weren’t run for profit until relatively recently.  The rules and regs which govern football clubs most probably would test legislation for most businesses.

Threatening the UK govt if they don’t get to buy a football club cannot be said to be playing by the book.  Yes, we know that many of the PL clubs were acting in their own selfish self-interest.  But at the same time, why should KSA be allowed to buy a member club in an organisation who’s IP they’d sanctioned the stealing of?  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Football clubs don’t generally, as they weren’t set up to be businesses and weren’t run for profit until relatively recently.  The rules and regs which govern football clubs most probably would test legislation for most businesses.

Threatening the UK govt if they don’t get to buy a football club cannot be said to be playing by the book.  Yes, we know that many of the PL clubs were acting in their own selfish self-interest.  But at the same time, why should KSA be allowed to buy a member club in an organisation who’s IP they’d sanctioned the stealing of?  

Sheffield fc the world's oldest football club was set up to make money from the cricket pitch in winter. It's always been about money.

Just now, madras said:

Sheffield fc the world's oldest football club was set up to make money from the cricket pitch in winter. It's always been about money.

It was against FA regs for the clubs to pay dividends to shareholders until the 1980s.  The clubs could not be run for profit until then.  The clubs could gain an income of course - that’s not the same as being a business which makes money for shareholders. 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It was against FA regs for the clubs to pay dividends to shareholders until the 1980s.  The clubs could not be run for profit until then.  The clubs could gain an income of course - that’s not the same as being a business which makes money for shareholders. 

It was an open secret about how corrupt it was and how they got round it.

1 minute ago, madras said:

It was an open secret about how corrupt it was and how they got round it.

Aye, 100% agree.  It always was.  You mentioned Sheffield FC and of course early football clubs were all ‘amateur’ - but the FA would regularly have to fine clubs for payments to players.

Still, the intent was for that not to be the case

On 09/07/2023 at 04:29, Ben said:

Watching that latest video of the Tonali arrival, how can Oliver Holt and Co say we were better off under Ashley and the Saudis have ruined football.

Because some journalists, especially those with affiliations to the south, really do believe there are two tiers in English football. The Hallowed Six and the rest.

Newcastle are a popular and well liked team, but not when they start treading on the toes of Spurs and Chelsea. I don't blame them really, I'd be the same if the Saudis had bought Villa or Everton. But then I'm not a professional journalist who should be objective.

4 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

The plan all along was to buy NUFC as a feeder team, for the emerging Saudi super clubs.

Discuss.

I suspect that they view them as vehicles with completely different goals.  The Premier League is the world's 'glamour league' at present - buying and owning a successful PL club will be good for 'Brand KSA'.

Improving the KSA league will be about 1) strengthening their league generally (it is their money) 2) raising the profile of KSA football worldwide generally and 3) as part of a KSA WC 2030 bid.

Should NUFC achieve success and become a major player in Europe, I'd anticipate them competing in a lot of close season tournaments in KSA against the elite KSA clubs, with the KSA govt looking on like a Roman emperor at a gladiator show.  A successful KSA-owned PL club and a KSA league are not mutually exclusive

4 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

The plan all along was to buy NUFC as a feeder team, for the emerging Saudi super clubs.

Discuss.

There are plenty of better, cheaper alternatives for that.

Wouldn't it make sense to buy one of the clubs that already have an established reputation as a conveyor belt of talent vs spunking 350 million on a club who's 21st century development highlights are Andy Carroll, Paul Dummett and Peter Ramage 

11 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

Discuss.

Why would they need a feeder team in the Premier League? Couldn't they just do what they're doing now, having not bothered to buy us at all?

Why aren't we being used as a feeder team? No one from our club seems to be on the way there, even the lads not good enough for us but much better than their standard of player.

Other than it not making any kind of sense, it's a canny guess at the Saudi master plan 

2 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

I've just heard someone say on TS that Henderson could be an agent for change by going to Saudi. 

Now the others have their heads in the Saudi trough. The whole conversations changes. 

Hahaha, that’s absolutely class. There are so few “good faith” people in the debate about Saudi Arabia. As soon as it affects them personally or their club, so much changes in the way they talk about the regime. Personally, I think a lot of NUFC fans have taken the exact right line that nothing is going to improve or change in Saudi Arabia and it is poisonous for us that we’re owned by them but we love football and love our club and nothing will change that 

Some Newcastle fans deserve Mike Ashley to return due to being ungrateful thick cunts, who can’t go 2 weeks without a signing, have a melt down if we lose and really lose their shit if PIF have the audacity to spend their money on another sporting venture.

A far more appropriate topic for discussion.

21 minutes ago, Likelylad said:

I've just heard someone say on TS that Henderson could be an agent for change by going to Saudi. 

Now the others have their heads in the Saudi trough. The whole conversations changes. 

17 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Hahaha, that’s absolutely class. There are so few “good faith” people in the debate about Saudi Arabia. As soon as it affects them personally or their club, so much changes in the way they talk about the regime. Personally, I think a lot of NUFC fans have taken the exact right line that nothing is going to improve or change in Saudi Arabia and it is poisonous for us that we’re owned by them but we love football and love our club and nothing will change that 

I love the ‘footballer will change KSA’ shite. 

Ever notice how no-one ever suggests that the footballer might go there and become a Wahhabist crank?  I think that’s more likely (even if unlikely) than Jordan fucking Henderson changing KSA into a liberal democracy. 

1 hour ago, Likelylad said:

Finding this whole thing so pitiful man.

Fans all now celebrating Saudi clubs buying their past it players so they can go and buy new ones.

As always suspected, everyone's so called morals are all empty gestures.

Where are the protests against accepting these bids and dealing with Saudi clubs? Or the protests against their former players accepting offers to play in Saudi?

So humiliating man.