Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Remember his Bournemouth team were criticised for leaking goals regularly and it was one of the weaknesses some were worried about when he was first appointed here

Whatever he learned in his 18 months away from the game is clearly paying dividends

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Remember his Bournemouth team were criticised for leaking goals regularly and it was one of the weaknesses some were worried about when he was first appointed here

Whatever he learned in his 18 months away from the game is clearly paying dividends

That’s the thing that sets him apart really - being humble enough to go away and learn, clever enough to implement it and confident enough to take time out and reject jobs.

Really exceptional and tells me he’s going to be an absolutely legendary manager. 

12 minutes ago, Smal said:

It’s just astounding that we’ve only conceded 11 goals, like. Only Arsenal are close with 14 and that’s not really that close :lol:. Nobody else is anywhere near.

It's absolutely mental. I'm almost conditioned to it and then I check the GA column of the table. :lol:

5 of the 11 goals were against the best two teams of the last 5 years too. Was similar last season when City and Spurs were the only teams to score 2 or more against us.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

5 of the 11 goals were against the best two teams of the last 5 years too. Was similar last season when City and Spurs were the only teams to score 2 or more against us.

Liverpool and Leicester scored 3 and 4 as well in December but it was very early in his tenure

Just now, LionOfGosforth said:

Liverpool and Leicester scored 3 and 4 as well in December but it was very early in his tenure

Sorry I was going from 2022 but aye. :thup:

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Remember when the Queen died? That was the last time we conceded in open play at home.

4 months ago :lol:

Didn't we concede from open play against Southampton? ???

33 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Remember when the Queen died? That was the last time we conceded in open play at home.

4 months ago :lol:

Second most successful club in England when we have had a King. All her fault.

I think it's fair for people to question Howe's choices.

I'd say we got a bit lucky today, for as well as we did in stifling Fulham we struggled to create much more than a few half chances and had Mitro not slipped and we'd gone on to not win we'd likely have half the forum ranting and raving about setting up too negatively in home games coming off the back of this and the Leeds game.

Personally find it a bit frustrating that we're not starting ASM in home games like this. We don't look like creating much when teams sit back against us and he's capable of things nobody else in our team is.

However, I do get it.

Firstly, he may not be where Howe wants him in terms of fitness.

Secondly, it's clear that Howe's priority is to stop teams from being able to have the ball as much as possible and making us incredibly solid. Win the ball in dangerous positions and take advantage. He's turned us into an incredibly formidable side doing it, we can have no complaints.

It's obviously going to be frustrating, at times. Had we drawn 0-0 today for the second consecutive PL home game then of course it'd be frustrating that we're starting 3 CBs and 4 CMs and wondering why we can't score.

However, the trade off is that we get to go into every game for the rest of the season knowing we're going to give everybody we face an absolute battle. We've lost one game all season for a reason and I'm at the point where I'll be absolutely shocked if we have a game this year where we lose 3-0 and just never look to be at the races.

It's a worthwhile trade off, for me.

Give it a couple of windows and we'll have a left winger who's as dangerous as ASM going forward but can press like a fucking maniac too. A CM who gets around the pitch as much as Longstaff but is absolutely top class with the ball as his feet. A LB who is defensively solid as fuck but can bomb on and turn into an attacker when needed.

Then we'll win the fucking league.