Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

12 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Ive thought about it and I still think Howe has to do more to manage minutes. I think Palace was prime example. We're 3-0 up at half time, the game is over, we have another two games this week and theres no sub until the 69th minute. Surely you can hook a few at half time and save some legs. There's no reason Tonali and Livramento couldnt come on at half time. 

Against Wolves that equaliser was coming. Had Neto stayed on, we might have ended up with 0 points. Again, to not make a sub until after we've conceded? We were blowing. I know he didnt want to change the back four, but Trippier was having a nightmare. Livramento is more than capable. I can appreciate the arguments for keeping it as it was, but I think id prefer a little more flexibility.

Itll be interesting to know what he takes from this week and whether he will manage minutes more.  

Even a change in formation.  Or defensive setup. Move to a back 5 with Targett.  Something. 

I felt he had to do something. The writing was on the wall and his response was to ride the wave.  If it worked, it would’ve been luck. 

i don’t view Howe as a manager that analyses a game in the moment and makes a lot of decisions in the moment. Neto could’ve ripped Burn 12 times back to back at 2-1 -  He wasn’t going to change anything because that wasn’t in his plan.  A lot of his moves seem pre-planned or out of a playbook.  Maybe we are such a coached team we can’t do anything off plan. 

I don't think that's necessarily true. As an example, first twenty minutes at Arsenal our press was ripped to shreds and Saka continuously ran at Burn. We dropped into a mid-block with Joelinton very clearly covering Burn.

I'm not saying he isn't stubborn at times, but he makes subtle tweaks to our shape and press quite regularly.

Also I think Wolves were switching play a lot to isolate the fullbacks. Something Dortmund did pretty well too.  We didn’t change anything to stop it. 

What’s frustrating is that the second half was predictable. They were either going to score or we would nick one on the counter undeservedly. We aren’t a team to put our foot on the ball and see a game out. So we need to be able to be setup defensively to succeed and we weren’t - then didn’t try to fix it. 

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. As an example, first twenty minutes at Arsenal our press was ripped to shreds and Saka continuously ran at Burn. We dropped into a mid-block with Joelinton very clearly covering Burn.

I'm not saying he isn't stubborn at times, but he makes subtle tweaks to our shape and press quite regularly.

But that was a move in the plan. We played similarly against Brighton before that and Man U sometime after. Going away to Arsenal - yeh Howe is not daft enough to think we can press them off the pitch for 90 minutes. 

But we didn’t seem to have a plan to mitigate Wolves wing play…. and that was that.  

I’ve asked this before. Has Dan Burn ever been subbed in a game that is level or we are having to defend a narrow lead?  I love Howe but he is predictable

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I do agree that he makes subtle tweaks. And he does show evolution in approach.

But overall - he’s pretty predictable. Line up. Formation. Subs. Timing of the subs. The scenarios of the subs etc. 

This all sounds a bit like 'Don't just stand there, do something'. I think Eddie always tries to make his decisions in a calculating manner rather than with emotion. Against Wolves, he just figured that he only had Willock on the bench that could make a difference in that situation.

I only saw the second half of the Man U game, but the discussion afterwards about Ten Haag's half-time sub was interesting. It sounded like Man U had done okay in the first half, but when they went behind, Ten Haag panicked. They would probably have lost regardless, but the better bet was to stick it out for another twenty minutes and then go all out. 100% I don't think Eddie would have made Ten Haag's error.

10 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think he kept Trippier on knowing he'd not play on Wednesday and is still our most likely source of providing a goal whether it's open play or a set-piece. 

Fair point mate.

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He's managed the atmosphere brilliantly recently.

We are in a bit of an injury crisis but it doesn't feel like it.

Botman - Miley - Anderson - Tonali - Barnes - Isak - Murphy 

That’s so unlucky 

Worst case we may get Miley - Anderson and Isak back after the break 

Botman may have strained medial ligaments? Usually a 2/3 month job I reckon 

3 minutes ago, Mikky said:

That’s so unlucky 

When you look at it like that - it's not that bad. It's not much worse than what Villa have had in the season.

But Villa have a much deeper squad.

8 minutes ago, Mikky said:

That’s so unlucky 

Anderson is out for 2 months isn’t he ?

Injuries are always terrible, but it's such a shame this season as I was so excited for us to give everything our very best go with our A/B teams

It's clear that we had 2 different sets of 3 up front for the league and the cup competitions, (isak/gordon/Miggy, wilson/barnes/Murphy etc) and likely the same for the midfield 3 in that we had 6 players who could slot in

We know he doesn't like to rotate the defence, but if the defence was fully fit and with Lascelles showing how good Eddie can make people behind the scenes, I'd have confidence in us making 1/2 changes as and when in order to rest our best back 4 and we'd still perform well

Now our hand is forced and we're praying for no more injuries, nightmare 

9 hours ago, Mikky said:

That’s so unlucky 

Glandular fever is so unpredictable so Miley could be back next week, or he could be out for the season

51 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

Miley was out with his girlfriend last night on Insta... Think glandular fever if it's really bed you're bed ridden right? So maybe it's not too bad? 

Did he get many sweets?