Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Menace said:

Potter really isn't that much of an improvement on Southgate..

Yes he is. Don't let a poorly chosen move to a poisonous football club distract you from that. Brighton were a nightmare to play against while he was there.

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

Potter really isn't that much of an improvement on Southgate..

I think he is. Southgate is poor tactically and didn’t really put in place a style of football. Potter would do that. 

I’ll say it again, the limited time he would have with a national team is so far away from this guys style and ethos that on the surface it just would not make sense.

You can’t drill a team to play his football when only seeing the players twice every couple of months.. to make the point I think it’s a big reason why Southgate is so passive in his style, although he has his limitations as a manger it also suits tournament football because it’s much easier to drill a team to a simplistic style when you don’t have the time available.

Edited by Nine

4 minutes ago, Nine said:

I’ll say it again, the limited time he would have with a national team is so far away from this guys style and ethos that on the surface it just would not make sense.

You can’t drill a team to play his football when only seeing the players twice every couple of months.. to make the point I think it’s a big reason why Southgate is so passive in his style, although he has his limitations as a manger it also suits tournament football because it’s much easier to drill a team to a simplistic style when you don’t have the time available.

Really ? How come other teams manage a high press ? And to think most of the players he has play for teams who use a high press  ...... so why wont/can't he ?

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Yes he is. Don't let a poorly chosen move to a poisonous football club distract you from that. Brighton were a nightmare to play against while he was there.

Yet Brighton fans weren't really fussed about losing him

I may be wrong but I’m sure they were saying how if they had a decent striker they’d have been devastating. I remember that as when we were looking to bring in the poisonous dwarf they were saying he didn’t have an eye for a decent forward. 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Really ? How come other teams manage a high press ? And to think most of the players he has play for teams who use a high press  ...... so why wont/can't he ?

It’s not a case of can’t or won’t, personally I think he tries to play to his own strengths because he is aware he has his limitations.. however his track record has proved that his style is effective at national level. A better manager of course could squeeze a lot more out of that level of attacking talent, hopefully we get to see that before long.

8 minutes ago, Nine said:

This is it.

He isn’t suited to international football, you could say the same for Rafa, and Mourinho. They need time to bed in their philosophy, look at Hall, a year to get a game, even only did because of injuries, even though Howe see’s him as someone for the future.

I can’t see him going even if the FA asked about him, but even if he did, he’d be making a huge mistake.

The FA will go for someone who won’’t cause a fuss, who’ll pick the players at big clubs who’ll sell a few more England shirts, any sort of progress or success is secondary to them.

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

It’s not a case of can’t or won’t, personally I think he tries to play to his own strengths because he is aware he has his limitations.. however his track record has proved that his style is effective at national level. A better manager of course could squeeze a lot more out of that level of attacking talent, hopefully we get to see that before long.

I'm not sure if it is effective, yes we've made 2 finals and a semi but we've not been convincing and been lucky in the draws, especially given the strength of squad he has at hand.

Edited by madras

Scrap having a FT manager and go big on some sort of Technical Director who'll study international opposition inside-out, then go for a Head Coach and pick a squad based on form/the opposition on a game-by-game basis. 

Would make international football a helluva lot more interesting. You could then go for top-class managers knowing they'd only be away from their clubs for 10 days at a time, etc. 

That says more about Brighton fans.

Potter is a good coach and has tactical style that is effective. Totally comfortable passing out from the back and patient.

The only thing is him not being a particularly well known name.. is he going to command the respect of certain young players with egos etc.

Him being out of the game a while now won't do him any favours.

It'll be Howe they go for imho.. but not yet. Which is why I think someone like Carsley will get the job in a "caretaker role"