Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 minutes ago, Beren said:

Don't imagine Chelsea are particularly interested in strengthening a Newcastle team who finished 3 points behind them for loan fee change.

You say that but they've just strengthened Arsenal

Just watched this press conference. That Louise Taylor (?) And a few others are absolute tosspot. Yet again Eddie did a great job fielding the questions. The rules have been bent to stop us and we need tk be United is absolutely the right message.

Howay Eddie bonnie lad.

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

Just watched this press conference. That Louise Taylor (?) And a few others are absolute tosspot. Yet again Eddie did a great job fielding the questions. The rules have been bent to stop us and we need tk be United is absolutely the right message.

Howay Eddie bonnie lad.

👆🏻 This 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

An injury to Pope or Schar and we are now severely limited for half of the season. I personally don't think our defence looks great as it stands, and while it's on Howe to improve our ball retention and turn things around away from home, if we do start to control matches more and force other teams to sit back, I reckon we'll struggle more than we'd like to break teams down with attention once again turning to our lack of quality wingers.

The plus side obviously includes the return of Tonali, a really talented player who has the capacity to galvanise us out on the pitch, and I think Kelly and Osula were smart pickups. We do have a strong squad with everyone fit. But with Howe expressing his disappointment with our transfer business several times this summer and talking about players feeling unsettled, the end of the transfer window has provided nobody with a lift and it only increases the pressure on our current squad and coaching staff to perform this season.

18 minutes ago, Heron said:

Howay Eddie bonnie lad.

Exactly.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I get that there’s a lot of pissed-off people re the window, but we’ve still got a very good manager and a very good squad of players.  I don’t see why the same target of aiming for top 6/7 and a cup run would have changed. 

It won't have. Eddie will be aiming for the highest league finish possible and nothing less. Probably more determined now :indi:

London clubs seemingly help London clubs. 

Challobah is never starting over Schar, Trippier or Livramento. Hes never starting at LCB either. As Schar is also a top backup LCB too if we need to make it work. So no, I assume it mutually doesn’t work that way. Just like people not grasping that some players do not move to just sit on the bench and it makes not a single ounce of sense to get a loan in on a fee with out obligation to sign as it’s the same as burning a note. 

Does challobah want to move to north east of England to sit the bench?

Does Newcastle want to spend precious PSR money on a loan with no obligation or option? Does Newcastle want to then lower next windows budget pound for pound to have a backup? 

How long will it take him to get up to speed on our tactics? 

Just now, Kanji said:

How many London to London transfers have you seen? Probably player driven too. 

They are not all in some boys club helping each other out. In the main they are competing against each other, as they are with non London clubs.

39 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I get that there’s a lot of pissed-off people re the window, but we’ve still got a very good manager and a very good squad of players.  I don’t see why the same target of aiming for top 6/7 and a cup run would have changed. 

Judging by the reaction from people when we lost out on ECL, top 4 (or at the very least battling for it) was supposed to be a given this season. Not 6/7.

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Sean said:

They are not all in some boys club helping each other out. In the main they are competing against each other, as they are with non London clubs.

You don’t think Parish is dieing to curry favor with the Chelsea ownership? He votes yes to anything the big 6 boys want. 

Remind me what you thought of Amanda? Should I bring that up again?

Watched the conference. Thought Howe was reassuringly protective of the club and its processes and people. Different ways of interpreting that, but it doesn't look like he'll be knifing anyone or storming off any time soon. He seems to be dipping his hand in the blood, which is better than the alternative. Regardless of anything else about him, I see Eddie as someone who truly wants the best for the club, so his opinions count.

It's a smallish thing, but I also liked him overtly stating that he believes the club should sometimes hold it's money back with a view to the long term picture. There have been suggestions in the past that he's all in on short term, 'this season is the only season that matters' thinking. I think that's the first time it's been actively, convincingly dealt with.

Honestly I'm just looking forward to getting back to football at the moment. It's sad, but I'm actually looking forward to hitting next summer thinking we won't have to sell, and if we do we'll be able to extract maximum value and potentially set the club on the right path. 

It's quite funny watching some loyalists shit themselves. Somehow I'm shocked and somewhat disappointed that now is the time it's happened. I think this whole thing is less disturbing when you don't start out from the assumption that everything is always great. There's plenty to be concerned about, but there's still a range of possible explanations, and some of them are still honourable - given everything else, I think we should dig in with support; I think the alternative will do more harm.

Remember the good old days - 8 weeks ago - when people were convinced June was a well planned trick designed to mislead the media about our secret war chest? :lol:

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

Does challobah want to move to north east of England to sit the bench?

Does Newcastle want to spend precious PSR money on a loan with no obligation or option? Does Newcastle want to then lower next windows budget pound for pound to have a backup? 

How long will it take him to get up to speed on our tactics? 

And why would Chelsea send him to a direct rival when they can send him to Crystal Palace? 

4 hours ago, Pata said:

And why would Chelsea send him to a direct rival when they can send him to Crystal Palace? 

Because they need rid of him, like they did with Sterling. If the offer was same, it would put Chalobah in driving seat if he wanted move and say accept it, or I'm staying and being disruptive.

Chalobah wouldn't be just this season, it would be view for future seasons too. Schar is getting on, last year, and no guarantees he's here next season. Legs could drop off by then which make us uneasy to give him a deal, and he could want a 3 year deal which he can get elsewhere and hopefully not here. 

6 hours ago, 80 said:

Watched the conference. Thought Howe was reassuringly protective of the club and its processes and people. Different ways of interpreting that, but it doesn't look like he'll be knifing anyone or storming off any time soon. He seems to be dipping his hand in the blood, which is better than the alternative. Regardless of anything else about him, I see Eddie as someone who truly wants the best for the club, so his opinions count.

It's a smallish thing, but I also liked him overtly stating that he believes the club should sometimes hold it's money back with a view to the long term picture. There have been suggestions in the past that he's all in on short term, 'this season is the only season that matters' thinking. I think that's the first time it's been actively, convincingly dealt with.

Honestly I'm just looking forward to getting back to football at the moment. It's sad, but I'm actually looking forward to hitting next summer thinking we won't have to sell, and if we do we'll be able to extract maximum value and potentially set the club on the right path. 

It's quite funny watching some loyalists shit themselves. Somehow I'm shocked and somewhat disappointed that now is the time it's happened. I think this whole thing is less disturbing when you don't start out from the assumption that everything is always great. There's plenty to be concerned about, but there's still a range of possible explanations, and some of them are still honourable - given everything else, I think we should dig in with support; I think the alternative will do more harm.

Remember the good old days - 8 weeks ago - when people were convinced June was a well planned trick designed to mislead the media about our secret war chest? :lol:

Good post. Particularly re the bit in bold. Really can't be doing with the Craig Hope-ish catastrophising when there's no actual catastrophe.

9 hours ago, Gottlob said:

An injury to Pope or Schar and we are now severely limited for half of the season. I personally don't think our defence looks great as it stands, and while it's on Howe to improve our ball retention and turn things around away from home, if we do start to control matches more and force other teams to sit back, I reckon we'll struggle more than we'd like to break teams down with attention once again turning to our lack of quality wingers.

The plus side obviously includes the return of Tonali, a really talented player who has the capacity to galvanise us out on the pitch, and I think Kelly and Osula were smart pickups. We do have a strong squad with everyone fit. But with Howe expressing his disappointment with our transfer business several times this summer and talking about players feeling unsettled, the end of the transfer window has provided nobody with a lift and it only increases the pressure on our current squad and coaching staff to perform this season.

TBF I think most teams would be limited if their main keeper and 3 first team CBs were out at the same time. 

I thought Howe's comments on players being unsettled was actually quite masterful - extremely out of character for him to say something like that so it felt purposeful.

Well, it worked for me, as it immediately took my attention away from anger/frustration to thinking about support for Sunday. Maybe it wasn't by design but it tied in very well with his unity comments from earlier in the presser.

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nothing wrong with trying for top four, but expecting it seems unreasonable to me

That's what I thought aswell, even back then. Ofcourse we will try. But the narrative was that going out of ECL was a good thing, because now we will get top 4. Tried to say that it doesn't mean top 4 at all, most likely not, but that apparently an unpopular opinion.

Edited by Erikse