Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, STM said:

He lost the ball 3 times in a row, which was shocking. On the other hand, he did what he always does and offers pace, professionalism and energy.

none of these are footballing traits, it's the bare minimum

33 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

We look like Man Utd under Ten Hag, where they dig out points from games they were outplayed in and don’t appear to be playing with any tactics.

We won the game tactically today. It’s just difficult to watch because we didn’t have much of the ball. The team was setup intentionally to do what it did. We got three points, tactically.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I thought Kelly looked very tidy on the ball. Considering he's a CB by trade.

Aye but not for a fullback. 

34 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

We look like Man Utd under Ten Hag, where they dig out points from games they were outplayed in and don’t appear to be playing with any tactics.

7 out of a possible 9 and the next round of the cup is an excellent tally for this point in the season, you get the feeling we will be on the end of a pasting if we don’t sort out our tactics soon.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

I have been wondering, what is so wrong with an "outdated" football model which would allow the likes of a Ferguson, a Wenger, or even a Klopp to run the club, instead of running everything by a committee.

If we have to think outside the box then, just maybe, we have found ours. We didn't play well in spells, but found a way. It's what all the best ones do.

Complexity and breadth of the sport has grown. Howe shouldn’t be  managing our FFP situation.  

20 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Well done to him for making the right subs and organizing us well but we really need to put a lot of work in the international break, we won't always get this luck.

We limited them to poor quality chances (1.3 XG). The only lucky thing about the game was their goal.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

If that’s Howe’s intention (preventing injuries) then we can only hope to have a few more lucky wins for the first half of the season. Try to sneak 1-2 goals in first half and then defend deeply in 2nd half seems to be his new plan

If we successfully keep our starting eleven healthy for the whole season, we might be able to gain a lot of points after Mar, thus end up more points than last season

I don’t know whether it’s called “lesson learnt”, but we have to trust Howe. You can also say we have no choice lol

That plan is a recipe for disaster. That’s ultimately the  Pardew and Bruce plan.  Nick it with a bit of magic. Defend deep and hope teamwork and desire gets us through.  We need to get back to fucking pressing.  

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

I have been wondering, what is so wrong with an "outdated" football model which would allow the likes of a Ferguson, a Wenger, or even a Klopp to run the club, instead of running everything by a committee.

If we have to think outside the box then, just maybe, we have found ours. We didn't play well in spells, but found a way. It's what all the best ones do.

Same reason we don't have size 18 models with pointy bras, times change I reckon

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That plan is a recipe for disaster. That’s ultimately the  Pardew and Bruce plan.  Nick it with a bit of magic. Defend deep and hope teamwork and desire gets us through.  We need to get back to fucking pressing.  

We played that way as a very specific response to the way Spurs play, it worked. It’s not Bruce or Pardew, that’s an extremely narrow-minded view devoid of context. Some people seem incapable of watching us play without the ball (intentionally) and appreciating the plan. Football isn’t solely about having the most possession, I would have thought that was obvious to anyone who’s watched a bit.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

We played that way as a very specific response to the way Spurs play, it worked. It’s not Bruce or Pardew, that’s an extremely narrow-minded view devoid of context. Some people seem incapable of watching us play without the ball (intentionally) and appreciating the plan. Football isn’t solely about having the most possession, I would have thought that was obvious to anyone who’s watched a bit.

Great post. 

6 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I’m taking this for a lacklustre performance and 3 points. We’ll aim to play better with Schar back and some time on the training pitch.  

We sat in against them last season. But we also pressed them really aggressively in deeper areas.  Won our duels.  Incisive on the ball.  Today we defended bravely in our box.  But we lost a lot of duels in midfield. Sloppy on the ball. Plenty of individual mistakes. Taking too many touches. 

In short we weren’t at it today.  We were the last time. Too many individual mistakes. Not cohesive as a team. But we hung on in there. Determined.  Thought Spurs were bad in the final third. Too many touches. Not making the right runs. 

We were like this against Bournemouth and Forest too. We look at our best with all our ballers on and aggressive. 

Edited by The College Dropout

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m taking this for a lacklustre performance and 3 points. We’ll aim to play better with Schar back and some time on the training pitch.  

We sat in against them last season. But we also pressed them really aggressively in deeper areas.  Won our duels.  Incisive on the ball.  Today we defended bravely in our box.  But we lost a lot of duels in midfield. Sloppy on the ball. Plenty of individual mistakes. Taking too many touches. 

So now you’re listing loads of things that are down to individual errors/players and expecting us to forget you just tried to draw a Bruce/Pardew game plan comparison? 

We won the game today, you know that don’t you?

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

For a Bournemouth player aye. A Bournemouth CB. 

We have Trippier, Schar, Botman, Hall at his best. He’s nowhere near. 

I didnt say he was elite. All im saying is he should have little problem in possession. The guys on the podcast even called him rolls royce, so hes not bad on the ball.

12 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Agreed, did exactly the same last season too.

2 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

So now you’re listing loads of things that are down to individual errors/players and expecting us to forget you just tried to draw a Bruce/Pardew game plan comparison? 

We won the game today, you know that don’t you?

I’m happy we won. That doesn’t make it a good performance. 

someone said they think our game plan this season is to nick a goal in the first half and defend deep and bravely in the second half. That is a Brucey game plan. I don’t for a second think that’s Howe’s plan for the season. that’s what we ended up doing against Bournemouth, against Forest and today. But I don’t think that’s the plan. 

When we get Schar back, Tonali playing, I expect us to go back to aggressive pressing. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Complexity and breadth of the sport has grown. Howe shouldn’t be  managing our FFP situation.  

I wondered, though, whether he could be trusted to be the person to do that as well, with the right support and advice. If you have to think outside the box, then perhaps he is the maverick to do it.

Somebody needs to be able to make the tough decisions, and he's probably the one who understands this team the best.

You don't get to be the best with decisions by committee all pulling in different directions.

Pep, I think, just to add to the other examples, is probably in complete control of who they buy and sell, whilst delegating the admin. Apologies if that sounds like word salad - I just don't know who else has the vision now. 

22 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

We won the game tactically today. It’s just difficult to watch because we didn’t have much of the ball. The team was setup intentionally to do what it did. We got three points, tactically.

I don’t think being under that much pressure that you have to park the bus was a tactic that we went in to the game with, it is the default position for a club that is being outplayed and under a massive amount of pressure.

I genuinely do not know what our tactics are when we have the ball, which is a difficult watch compared to how we played 18 months ago. I say that as I am presuming our tactics isn’t to give up possession as soon as we gain it to invite wave after wave of attack.

I have tried to find the FourFourTwo video where it went through our tactics and why we were so good, but that type of football has gone out of the window completely.