Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

When managers are under any pressure they're normally desperate for a result to take the heat off for a bit. I think Howe's now in the unusual position of needing a performance rather than a result right now. We've looked really poor in each game we've played this season for various lengths of time and that's a concern. We look listless, disjointed and unmotivated, we're struggling with the shape, the tempo of games and the starting XIs have needed to be overhauled early in the last 2 games which suggest Howe got it wrong. Throw in the apparent power-play moves between Howe and Mitchell, the clusterfuck of a transfer window just gone and the departures of Staveley and Ghoudoussi and it's clear there's something not right on or off the park. 

They either get their heads together and sort it or I think Howe will be gone sooner or later. The current situation isn't sustainable and something will give eventually. I'd hate to lose Howe as I really like the bloke but this can't continue, the players he's coaching have to put in a performance for him at some point. He's responsible for results and performances the same as any other manager and it's a long way from where it used to be not so long ago. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

We have no idea how the Saudis think.

No. Not literally we don’t. But what happened to Staveley and Ghoudoussi could be interpreted evidence of a degree of unsentimental ruthlessness. I don’t know but it’s not wildly speculative to consider it as a reasonable interpretation of what happened. 

2 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

No. Not literally we don’t. But what happened to Staveley and Ghoudoussi could be interpreted evidence of a degree of unsentimental ruthlessness. I don’t know but it’s not wildly speculative to consider it as a reasonable interpretation of what happened. 

They were sued and thus had to give up a director role on the basis of going bankrupt 

I’ve never seen a middle eastern company move with any bit of swiftness as it relates to business decisions ( @McCormick ) would be best placed to confirm or refute that given he’s lived and breathed it more than anything on here (i think?)

Eddie has to get this midfield right, he needs Botman back, and the GEMS we fought hard to keep need to fucking step up. 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

While this is completely true, there is still room for some valid criticism and concern at the moment. We couldn't really have grumbled if we'd lost every game so far this season. 

The away performances in particular have been largely the same for over a year now. 

Valid criticism sure. We haven't played well for more than 20-30 minutes in any of the matches so far.

There's a lot of people discussing him getting sacked, or that he's hit his ceiling, or that he wants to leave for England and speculating once more if the results and performances are because of one interview Paul Mitchell did weeks ago :lol: ONE LOSS! :lol: 

41 minutes ago, 80 said:

Eales came out with the 'better on the grass' stuff beforehand, yes. It seemed pretty calculated - at least as much as any of his 'canny' statements about PSR rules to start the media conversation off about them, anyhow.

As I've said previously, it's plausible Eddie could already see writing on the wall and wanted to set out his position in advance to avoid having his reputation and career trashed on someone else's altar.

This is precisely why managers shouldn't get too involved in what goes on at board level. Eales doesn't look anywhere near as likeable as Stevely and Mehrdad, but at the end of the day we needed to sell players in a hurry to comply with PSR. What he's doing needs to be done whether it's popular or not. Same goes for recruitment, again whether Mitchell is the right man, time will only tell. If we could just keep buying great players at peak value, then we wouldn't need to be having this conversation.

4 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

The constant experimenting to find our best midfield three is a worry, like. 

Our worst performer in midfield by far this season has been Bruno.  I couldn't understand the grief Longstaff was getting whilst he dodged the flak.  He's been awful.  And that's not because of the ridiculous pass for Fulhams last goal.

Successful clubs by and large have to have everyone aligned, the odd side like Chelsea or Real Madrid seems to thrive in chaos, we never have. I think when we had Staveley with Eddie and then Ashworth it was clear what everybody's roles were and Howe seemed very comfortable within that. I'm sure until recently his nephew was heavily involved in the scouting and recruitment whether that's now been changed and led to some of this politicking that's been leapt on by the media is unclear.

It's only natural that when there are seismic changes at the club (new Chief Exec, new Sporting Director, this Fitness guru, people you have a great working relationship leaving)  it's going to create a degree of uncertainty as everyone finds there best way of working. Eddie's not Mitchell or Eales's man but he is the Reubens and Pif's and ultimately in football those that control the money decide. I do think Howe is giving the impression that he's not as assured as he was in previous seasons both in his media interviews and in his decision making football wise. He also seems far more emotive when we do win then in in the past.   

Then you have the players themselves. We're still hugely affected by the awful run of injuries of last season and we do have in some key positions an aging squad that was primarily built to avoid relegation. The younger players that used up so much of our PSR allowance last season haven't quite settled into being assured first team players. The ones that have, such as Harvey Barnes have in their own way created a further set of problems in that you have great players who are scrapping for one slot or being forced to play out of their preferred position whilst other areas of the starting side seem almost neglected such is their lack of strength. Then you have the anachronisms of things like Tonali's ban and reintegration to consider. The regular footballing happenings like players still finding their way back to form after said injuries and then again an anachronism of a hot streak of someone like Miggy which wasn't anticipated and can't be counted on to be replicated. The player rebuild was never fully completed or as comprehensive as it might and perhaps should have been as to Howe's credit he was able to marshal the unhappy, unfit and misused players of the Bruce reign into players who could still be key contributors at an exceptionally high level . Again you're always going to see some sort of regression or leveling off the longer they remain in the squad and the fact they haven't been refreshed at a quicker rate shows the naivety of all concerned. The fact PSR and it's impact led to emergency action this summer again shows that naivety as well as some poor past judgements. 

Champion's League and the fourth place so quickly after the managed decline of the Mike Ashley years has brought everything into sharper focus before we were ready for it in terms of both our own expectations and also wider coverage. We're now seen as a club to frighten the likes of the old "big six" status quo and the longer we go without establishing ourselves as one of a big seven the more the pressures will rise.  Despite all this we've had a great run of results which is a credit to the character of the players and the acumen of the manager but it's been an August and September of papering over the cracks . These next six or seven games seem like they could define the direction of our season , Howe's future here and perhaps the direction of the club itself.

7 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Really hope he can turn the performances around. It'd hurt me so much if we lost Eddie, even if down the line it was justified 

I said it before possibly in another thread - the summer has basically seeped into the season - we didn’t strengthen, instead have regressed - none of this Tonali is a new player bollocks, Willock is fit etc 

We had a shitshow of a summer in every which way - that’s down to a lack of leadership at the top - you can’t just say the expectation is Europe whilst standing still with the personnel we have - where’s the motivation for the players? Where were the ambitious signings that keep everyone on their toes? 

To have Dan Burn (not his fault) as our starting CB in not acceptable - to not have a RW in unacceptable - they were priority positions - non negotiable 

We look miles off it in so many facets of our game it’s a real concern. Howe doesn’t like like he’s sure of his starting 11 and is then making multiple changes at half time when things aren’t working. Everything feels very unsure and uncertain. 

The transfer window was a disaster and there’s clearly some stuff going on behind the scenes which is contributing. But if we keep playing like this we’re going to turned over by a few teams in upcoming fixtures and it could unravel in which case he’ll get the sack or he makes it aware to those at England that he’s interested in the job and goes there. 

19 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Really hope he can turn the performances around. It'd hurt me so much if we lost Eddie, even if down the line it was justified 

I think everyone would like him to be the manager who breaks this trophy hoodoo.

Feels like a big opportunity missed today though, going top even for 24 hours would have just fired this season up after the disappointing summer, the manner in which  we played first half with that at stake though doesn’t bode well.

The fixtures have been kind which is also a major worry, this week feels massive we must progress in cup and look competitive at home to City next week.

Edited by Whitley mag

19 minutes ago, janpawel said:

100%

He believes in the project and gets 'us' infinitely more than those above him

6 minutes ago, toon25 said:

100%

He believes in the project and gets 'us' infinitely more than those above him

The club isn’t United - that’s the biggest worry I have - or that’s what it seems - everyone (fans included) is biting each other 

This club, when it is at its best, is united on all fronts 

The point tally is good. Averaging 2 points per game (which if averaged out across the season would be 76 points). The performances haven't matched though and its arguable that if we continue to play like we have so far, the points will start falling away. Next 5 games will give us a better idea of where we are. If we pulled a performance out of the bag and beat City unexpectedly it could change the whole mood around the club in an instant.

Edited by Skeletor

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

He's been here four months, one person of course will not be totally responsible for the overall plan. His input will be on the playing side and he will be asked to provide a five year plan on that side, which will be discussed and agreed by the other executives. Overall control of a five year plan for all aspects of the club will be under the instructions and guide of the Chairman 

Is that what actually happens in real life?

I suspect the vision is imposed by PIF. Eales and everyone else does their best to align. I don’t think any of them have PIF support implicitly. 

Generally Managers have 3 - 15 months to hit short term goals. Allowed a few bad results, maybe a bad season. 

DOFs have 1-2.5 years to start hitting medium term goals. Allowed a dud manager if they’re lucky and maybe a couple dud windows which might take time to reveal. 

Whoever is in charge on the ground (Eales I guess) would have 2-3 years to show meaningful progress. 

We can speculate as to the contributory factors. But there’s a view that Staveley and co. had one bad year running the ship which facilitated their exit.  If I’m  Eales, Mitchell or Howe I’m thinking I need short term success in my world to secure my job. 

16 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

The point tally is good. Averaging 2 points per game (which if averaged out across the season would be 76 points). The performances haven't matched though and its arguable that if we continue to play like we have so far, the points will start falling away. Next 5 games will give us a better idea of where we are. If we pulled a performance out of the bag and beat City unexpectedly it could change the whole mood around the club in an instant.

This is an important point I think. Ultimately, we had a chance to go top today and be unbeaten heading into City (h) which would have been a free hit and if we got both today right and something versus City it would have us with a real sense of belief that we could rode throughout the season.  Instead, we're in this moment of self doubt again a bit like after Liverpool (h) last season or after the CL exit.

I'd have taken two points from these last two and actually, we're a point ahead of where I'd expect after these 5 games.

Next week is a big game for the performance not the result, but if we get both, it's time to bury the negativity and start really hunting the top 4 slots down and/or a cup.

Edited by Heron

50 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Yep.  

My only views on Eales is that he is a corporate cringefest with an ok CV. 

Mitchell I have no view one way or the other. Great track record. Shit so far with some questionable comments.

Even if Howe leaving benefits the club long term. I’d find it hard to root against him. 

All premature as fuck ATM, mind!

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Is that what actually happens in real life?

I suspect the vision is imposed by PIF. Eales and everyone else does their best to align. I don’t think any of them have PIF support implicitly. 

Generally Managers have 3 - 15 months to hit short term goals. Allowed a few bad results, maybe a bad season. 

DOFs have 1-2.5 years to start hitting medium term goals. Allowed a dud manager if they’re lucky and maybe a couple dud windows which might take time to reveal. 

Whoever is in charge on the ground (Eales I guess) would have 2-3 years to show meaningful progress. 

We can speculate as to the contributory factors. But there’s a view that Staveley and co. had one bad year running the ship which facilitated their exit.  If I’m  Eales, Mitchell or Howe I’m thinking I need short term success in my world to secure my job. 

Yea you have a five year overall plan (could be any length of time of three years plus depending on the business) and then you are measured on the targets set within that plan. It's not rocket science 

When it doesn't come together, his gameplans seem overly cute and over-strategized. Super detailed tactics drilled into the players, and then oftentimes it just doesn't work out. There's probably a ton of work put into it, so no wonder he hates a plan B.

He seems to look for every bit of advantage he can gain on every single facet, be it dark arts on the pitch, or 4D chess press conferences, but in the end, our attacks are disjointed and lackluster, defence isn't as organised, the fluid midfield experiment hasn't worked in over a year, and set-pieces have been unorthodox, seemingly for the sake of it, and ultimately: shite.

In some cases it seems we could just hoy our best players out there with no instructions, and they would get the job done on talent alone.

I don't know what the solutions is, but I am hoping for a "back to basics" approach, as watching us looking like we are in pre-season is painful at the moment.

Edited by Unlucky Luque