Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I don't particularly think this result is on Howe - we did enough in that performance to win it, normally.

What I wonder is where the footballing vision is coming from. With Staveley gone as a driving force, I'm basically pinning my hopes on Howe now as being the man with the original plan. Lose him, and what are we?

He needs backing in January for sure, like he should have had in the last two transfer windows. I realise the financial reasons as to why that wasn't possible of course.

But we're kind of in difficult third album territory after all the highs of the 4th place finish and the CL campaign. Time for Mitchell to step up, maybe.

I think one thing that makes me negative is that we're not exciting to watch anymore. I don't demand/expect top 4 or even top 6 but that relentless in attack football is nowhere to be seen so far this season.

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

On the flip, Chelsea are the most successful English club this century, and have had eighteen permanent managers in that twenty-three year period.

I’m not saying that Howe should go at all, but I don’t at all think that just keeping someone in a job means that at some point it’ll all work out.  

Chelsea have done that though whilst spending bottomless amounts of cash. It's not a luxury we have. 

And of course it's only any good sticking with your man if it's the right man. I just think Eddie still has that potential and I'd like to see us keep the faith for now. The alternative at the moment is to give someone else his team and the financial restrictions at which point we could find ourselves on the merry-go-round. 

Of course if it turns out not to be working we will need to take action but I think we're a little ways from there yet. 

I don’t see anything in our football to think that Howe has some sort of long term strategy that we are working towards, or a particular style of football that we might not have all of signings he wants to make it all fall in to place.

Our football has regressed massively and we haven’t adapted since our flat midfield 3 has been found out, there are no signs of looking to change this either.

If there are doubts amongst the board as to his suitability as manager after this season, then backing him in January as one final throw of the dice would be the wrong move, unless Mitchell is pulling the strings on the transfer.

26 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Arsenal were already doing what they were doing pre-Arteta - finishing in the top few spots and winning cups.  Ferguson had a remarkable track record at Aberdeen to hang some confidence on - including winning a European final vs Real Madrid.

On the flip, Chelsea are the most successful English club this century, and have had eighteen permanent managers in that twenty-three year period.

I’m not saying that Howe should go at all, but I don’t at all think that just keeping someone in a job means that at some point it’ll all work out.  

I still hope this all works out and he’s a success, but the confidence is being really battered around the edges on that front.  I still think he’s got every chance of turning it round, though. 

This is where I’m at, I’m not saying I want him gone but I’m starting to think that the writing is on the wall.

I also think if there is any friction with him and Mitchell and they aren’t totally aligned on the plan going forward then the sooner we move on the better.

The next window is really big for many reasons.  

I love Howe btw , but can’t see how he stays long term.

Probably the best 2 performances of the season, but nobody finished a single chance. Isak puts away one of his 2 glaring first half opportunities and we dance it and sit 5th (3pts off top).

Can't believe the amount of stick Howe is getting on here and Facebook, some fans.

Edited by Karjala

Some questions also need to be asked about why we spent £40m plus on a left winger twice in 6 months and are still reliant on Jacob Murphy for the other side.

When Mitchell said ‘not fit for purpose’ this is the sort of shit he was on about I’d imagine.

Who’s decision was that exactly?

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It's Tindall apparently.

Sticking with him as set penis coach speaks volumes about flawed loyalty and the inability to see a problem and move to fix it! What’s the point of all these stats programmes if the fan in the street can see glaring repeated problem areas and the people paid to sort this can’t. That’s just one repetitive issue. There are more.

2 minutes ago, Karjala said:

Probably the best 2 performances of the season, but nobody finished a single chance. Isak puts away one of his 2 glaring first half opportunities and we dance it and sit 5th.

Can't believe the amount of stick Howe is getting on here and Facebook, some fans.

I’ll never give him stick, I think he’s been brilliant for us.

I just think the end is nigh and that’s due to a combination of internal politics and the flaws we’re seeing in results/performances.

Would love everything to be golden and Howe to stay for the next ten years, but I can’t see it unfortunately.

54 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

PSR is definitely a factor, though on the flip of that we’re three years into Howe’s reign, and we’ve spent well over half a billion quid on transfers, and Jacob Murphy and Miguel Almiron are still our right wing options.

That’s not the fault of PSR.  Yes, the Ashley-era dross is difficult to get shot of - but I can’t take seriously the idea that 1) we couldn’t offload those two and 2) there literally isn’t anyone who we could have bought for a small share of the spend to date better than those options.

Three years is usually enough time to suggest that this is a manager’s squad.  

I saw an opposition fan say this recently and I'm not sure where it's coming from. Half a billion would still be about 100m out, let alone well over it.

Last year, I had sympathy with the line, ‘What team could cope with an injury list like this?’ That’s obvious. Going to be harder for me to agree with the line (said by a few), ‘What team could cope with as many players out of form as ours at the minute?’ That’s directly on Howe, I’m afraid. 

The amount of garbage I’ve read since yesterday about Howe, I’ve just looked at be table thoroughly expecting to see us 14th/15th. 

We should have won yesterday, and the fact we didn’t is down to poor execution, not Howe. 

we are still playing without a right winger, again not on Howe (completely anyway).

I agree he needs to improve, be it more flexibility with tactics/formation, but I can’t believe so many people are firmly in the ‘Howe Out’ brigade. 

16 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It's Tindall apparently.

Then I can only assume we don’t bother working on them. Not only the lack of good delivery but the lack of movement in the box is quite astounding tbh.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I saw an opposition fan say this recently and I'm not sure where it's coming from. Half a billion would still be about 100m out, let alone well over it.

Yeah going off Transfermarkt it's closer to £400m.

In terms of "net spend" were the 5th biggest spenders from 21/22 to today, 7th if you just sort by expenditure. 

Poor execution cost is yesterday and at Everton. We are actually playing pretty well with the exception of finishing chances. This whole Wilson situation is excruciating because he is preventing us from having a #2 forward.

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Yeah going off Transfermarkt it's closer to £400m.

In terms of "net spend" were the 5th biggest spenders from 21/22 to today, 7th if you just sort by expenditure. 

But if you then factor in where we started from....

37 minutes ago, JoeyBartoon said:

I still think player loyalty will end up costing Howe in the long run. Bringing Miggy and Longstaff on for the last 15 mins was crazy

Not sure this is a problem of loyalty, he’s dropped both of those players from the first time. 

16 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Last year, I had sympathy with the line, ‘What team could cope with an injury list like this?’ That’s obvious. Going to be harder for me to agree with the line (said by a few), ‘What team could cope with as many players out of form as ours at the minute?’ That’s directly on Howe, I’m afraid. 

True, but we’re not having a season like last season. Yet anyway. We’re having a disappointing time which could easily pick up at any moment. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

27 minutes ago, Karjala said:

Probably the best 2 performances of the season, but nobody finished a single chance. Isak puts away one of his 2 glaring first half opportunities and we dance it and sit 5th.

I know, first loss at St James in the league since January man.

14 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Poor execution cost is yesterday and at Everton. We are actually playing pretty well with the exception of finishing chances. This whole Wilson situation is excruciating because he is preventing us from having a #2 forward.

The whole Wilson thing is kind of on the club though. His injury record has always been poor, to not look to upgrade sooner is the reason we are now stuck with him. Hopefully a lesson learned though.

31 minutes ago, Karjala said:

At half time I was genuinely thinking the performance has been really good, we’ll come back to win because Brighton look vulnerable and we’ll kick on for the season. Weird game sometimes. Let’s hope the decision makers are more level-headed. 

It’s mad to think we’d have been 5th if we’d won. 

Maintain it was a blatant penalty and possibly a red card as well. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I think we had like one ”big chance created” more than Brighton. We played well in the 1st half until the last third. We were dominant but we barely created anything despite that. I read a lot of “IF he had scored this and that”. You see top teams and players miss chances every game, but the good ones create enough chances for a couple to go in at least.