Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

18 hours ago, Cort said:

Absolutely not - we are among the top teams for all sorts of different stats, while that was so obviously a fluke which this bloke alludes to: 

I mean from memory, how many games did we actually dominate that year? West Brom away, Stoke home? Some good results in there away at Stoke and at home to Man Utd and Liverpool, but come on, it's not like we had some long term progressive style of play.

Thanks for posting that, that was interesting  :thup:

We have eerred on the side of letting players go probably because in the long term getting wages of players not of new standards required as quickly as possible will help with financial fair play and bringing players in. No it is not ideal, yes the squad is too thin. I just can't bring myself to be overly upset, this is all because we have overperformed for first part of the season, we are ahead of schedule. If they'd started the season saying top 4 aim, then yes in that context looks a little foolish, but in context of, we are not going to rush into buying loads of players we are going to take time, build a squad piece by piece, only sign players we want and are good enough rather than just who is available or at an inflated premium then this approach still makes sense. 

Of course a little bit of me thinks we could have got top 4 had we maybe kept Shelvey but if we do finish 5th or 6th no guarantee Shelvey would have been the difference. Loaning out Dubravka looks more a mistake now sure but he was apparently very unhappy, what would the impact of an unhappy player on the bench have been, who knows?

Equally the dividends of everyone in the club knowing that Howe will respect their wishes, players coming in to a club with a reputation of treating players fairly are not going to be easy to quantify but they will be there. 

Anyway just to say maybe club got that a bit wrong, a bit daft in retrospect, but I can't get angry about it. I am dreading us finishing 6th and there being fury all round, when we all would have been delighted at season start. TOp 4 would be great, but City and Arsenal have been better than us for large parts of the season, Man U have a big head of steam and form and we have dropped off. Spurs may well implode at any moment so there is a chance to overtake them again. I do think Brighton and Liverpool are most likely other ones to overtake us which would be disappointing, but we will get form back. 

Edited by Tiresias

If we'd kept Shelvey he'd have ended up triggering a clause and we'd be stuck with him another year. No guarantee a club like Forest would have wanted him in the summer when they have 2-3 months to sign someone. He'd also be taking up a squad place on £80k a week or loaned out with us paying a chunk of his wage. 

By all accounts we tried loaning someone but no one was playing ball with us (Gallagher, Berge...). If the long term solution was available in January I reckon the club would have done it, likelihood is the player or players we want will be more available in the summer. I don't want us going down the list and spending daft money on someone we don't particularly want long term for the sake of a couple of league positions this season and if we're left a bit short but are able to get rid of someone who won't be here long term, you can see why the club did it.

Can imagine Howe would be disappointed but I also think he's wise enough to understand we're not going to have the perfect squad just yet.

5 minutes ago, James said:

To be honest I’m pretty appalled by the programme as Man Utd are first and yet we were first out of the draw in the semis which means that we are the ‘home’ team in this tie

There is actually an official draw to determine who is the home tie, it doesn't have anything to do with who qualified first, as the semi-final dates are dictated by TV coverage.