Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Aye, he's ruthless without being a cunt about it. Clark, Lascelles and Ritchie were eased out of the first team at the earliest opportunity, while the latter two who are apparently big voices in the dressing room were still made to feel they were playing their part. 

Also came probably as close to criticising the players publicly as he has done after the final when he said we made good opportunities but weren't clinical enough to take them. It's more or less an admission that we aren't good enough, something he emphasised again afterwards when he said it will be a long process to get us to where we want to be as a club.

He's never going to slag anyone off individually, it's just not what he's about, but there's a burning desire to win in there. Some fans are just too thick to see past the surface.

I do feel our toe-to-toe approach with Liverpool and Man United wasn't the best way to go about things. Hindsight is 20/20 but we don't have the players to compete as equals. We've lost those games 4-0.  

It's fine to have a manager who is committed to having the team play in a certain way but until our players match up we're likely to be exposed. I don't know, certainly in terms of the final feel like a more pragmatic approach might have been the way to go. 

8 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I do feel our toe-to-toe approach with Liverpool and Man United wasn't the best way to go about things. Hindsight is 20/20 but we don't have the players to compete as equals. We've lost those games 4-0.  

It's fine to have a manager who is committed to having the team play in a certain way but until our players match up we're likely to be exposed. I don't know, certainly in terms of the final feel like a more pragmatic approach might have been the way to go. 

Liverpool we were perhaps a bit gung ho and loose at the back.  Which resulted in them scoring and also contributed to the red card for Pope.  But I don't think we played like we played this game anything like we did against Man U in the league, or say City earlier in the season.  They were much more games where it felt like we tried to go 'toe to toe' with big teams.  

The high press and really ballsy call of leaving 4-5 players pushed up in the opposition half doesn't seem to be as consistent now.  It feels if anything, like we are having a mini identity crisis and are stuck between two different styles.  We're certainly not pressing or at least doing it effectively as we were earlier in the season.

Edited by Lush Vlad

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Liverpool we were perhaps a bit gung ho and loose at the back.  Which resulted in them scoring and also contributed to the red card for Pope.  But I don't think we played like we played this game anything like we did against Man U in the league, or say City earlier in the season.  They were much more games where it felt like we tried to go 'toe to toe' with big teams.  

The high press and really ballsy call of leaving 4-5 players pushed up in the opposition half doesn't seem to be as consistent now.  It feels if anything, like we are having a mini identity crisis and are stuck between two different styles.  We're certainly not pressing or at least doing it effectively as we were earlier in the season.

I don't think we can play that tactic with ASM in the team so a decision has to be made one way or another 

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Perhaps it's an issue with my use of 'toe to toe'. The games you refer to were certainly more open but we still felt very much front foot first on Sunday but with perhaps less potency both in terms of our press and also our play in the final third. I would have liked to have kept the game tighter for the first half and a lot more awkward for the first 20. I feel like we had the run of the game but without the quality to hurt, in a one off game we'd have been better off trying to counter. 

We've got some ungrateful, entitled cunts in our ranks and make no mistake. 

From the 1st week of the takeover and sad sacks wanting the whole squad replaced with galacticos by Xmas to clueless fucks questioning Howe this week. 

Hope most people enjoyed the cup final and, hopefully, a return of trips to Europe next season because when it becomes the norm the novelty will soon wear off. 

Edited by Groundhog63

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

We've got some ungrateful, entitled cunts in our ranks and make no mistake. 

From the 1st week of the takeover and sad sacks wanting the whole squad replaced with galacticos by Xmas to clueless fucks questioning Howe this week. 

Hope most people enjoyed the cup final and, hopefully, a return of trips to Europe next season because when it becomes the norm the novelty will soon wear off. 

Cracking point, some of our fan base have unrealistic expectations. We can't build a world class team until until we have the facilities and infrastructure in place. If they want to point a finger it needs to be pointed directly at Ashley who signed the club up to long terms sponsorship deals that have crippled finances in the short term. The new owners said it was a 10 year plan from the start.

Eddie has got some very average players performing way beyond their level, they were always going to get found out eventually. He turned the team into a professional outfit, a team that just about every so called pundit predicted would be relegated last season. I don't know why people can't just admire how far we have come. He has more tactical knowledge than any previous manager we have had.

I have no issues with Howe. He's delivered mission impossible last season with our turnaround, and this season he's managed a cup final and top 4 battle still on. 

Only criticism I have of Howe is we appear to have no real plan B formation wise. Our high intensity pressing is at risk of burn out if squad isn't rotated enough and our attacking methods are becoming very predictable (Miggy/Trippier overlap or ASM random run on the left). Bruno is the key thing that ups our game to having very dangerous through balls, but with him so deep it's not frequent enough. 

Howe has worked miracles in other regards and I could write pages on what he's done thats fantastic in last year. We've finally hit our slump moment of the season, I fully trust Howe to sort it out and make top 6, top 4 I am not so sure, but if we can turn it in again then it's possible.

The numbers suggest that our attacking methods are still decent enough, but I do agree with the lack of a plan B.  I think that will come with more quality options, particularly in attack. We've seen that he isn't afraid to stick Isak and Wilson up top together when chasing a goal, but we're still having to turn to the likes of Murphy and Ritchie at times. 

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The numbers suggest that our attacking methods are still decent enough, but I do agree with the lack of a plan B.  I think that will come with more quality options, particularly in attack. We've seen that he isn't afraid to stick Isak and Wilson up top together when chasing a goal, but we're still having to turn to the likes of Murphy and Ritchie at times. 

+20 goal difference has mostly been down to exceptional defence, but I do think our methods retain good possession and make plenty of chances at goal. Whether in xG terms we are making that many versus chances created, not so sure, but as you say quality of players off bench and injuries I'm sure play a factor too. We are a dangerous top 8 side for sure, probably top 6, and some of that is Howe making this squad punch above it's weight.

Going to be so interesting to see what he can do with a proper balanced, quality squad in a few years time.

Doubt he's going to be our Wenger/Ferguson, but you never know. Would love for him to spend most of his career here.

Do you think it would be fair to say that he maybe doesn't get the love from our fanbase that he deserves/has earned?

He's very uncontroversial and calm, which maybe doesn't tickle the pashun ganglion in our fanbase like KK or SBR did, and he doesn't yet have the prestige that Rafa had, but I honestly love having him as our manager like - he's every bit a Newcastle manager in terms of how he has us playing imo. 

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Do you think it would be fair to say that he maybe doesn't get the love from our fanbase that he deserves/has earned?

He's very uncontroversial and calm, which maybe doesn't tickle the pashun ganglion in our fanbase like KK or SBR did, and he doesn't yet have the prestige that Rafa had, but I honestly love having him as our manager like - he's every bit a Newcastle manager in terms of how he has us playing imo. 

Think that's only recently isn't it? Since we've hit some patchy form. 

Scroll back a few weeks and people are absolutely gushing over him. 

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Kind of agree with this, he achieved more last season keeping us up then Rafa did the whole time he was here, yet for some reason he doesn't seem to be held in the same regard as him by some of our fans. For me Eddie is easily the best manager we have had since Robson and has done more for the club than any manager we have had since then. Imagine what he can do when he has a proper squad.

The only time I've ever really questioned him was when he had us playing a high line away to Spurs not long after they'd torn through Man City who had also played with a high line. Other than that, even the things I've been a bit dubious about have ended up becoming blindingly obvious. 

I never saw where Maddison would fit in our high-pressing, high energy team. Now it's the most obvious thing in the world that we would be in for him, because Eddie and the coaching staff presumably knew that we'd become a team that has to break down a low block. 

23 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Really? I'd say that's unfair. I love him for saving us from the brink and making us a team that not only tries, but is competing for top 4/6 within his first 18 months. It's absolutely incredible from Howe. He isn't immune from criticism on a game to game basis, but I'd be amazed if anyone on here genuinely isn't loving him being here.

15 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Kind of agree with this, he achieved more last season keeping us up then Rafa did the whole time he was here, yet for some reason he doesn't seem to be held in the same regard as him by some of our fans. For me Eddie is easily the best manager we have had since Robson and has done more for the club than any manager we have had since then. Imagine what he can do when he has a proper squad.

I'm not sure about that like. Rafa kept us up comfortably on a shoestring in his first season

Howe did brilliant last season, helped by the large financial backing in January

Both achievements were brilliant