Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

22 minutes ago, buzz said:

Nice interview 

Love so much about it. The cheeky 'well I didn't see it!' about Wilson attempting that second goal in training, the expert swerves on the Wilson/Isak debate, even down to the need to shake every last hand. Even horsebummer was tolerable by proxy. 

Edited by wormy

1 hour ago, 80 said:

You have to make allowances for things like technology and sports science, but yeah I'd say this team is better than Robson's across a season. More methodical, less fragile.

I think in terms of competitiveness of the league too. There was only really Man U better than us back then, Liverpool, Arsenal etc weren't the forces those two years. Howe has turned around a club going down and taken them above clubs with far better infrastructures, facilities, squads and is steamrolling teams. +30 goal difference is phenomenal from where we were. We're above clubs who've spent more on a defender than we have on the full back 5 for instance. 

It can't be overstated how much more of a closed shop the top of the Premier League is now compared to then. I've said it before, but if Howe gets us to 3rd or 4th it's second only to Leicester in terms of insane turnarounds. It'll largely only be us that appreciate it though.

It's a real shame the cup final happened to fall during our worst dip in form this year with players looking tired and people like Wilson suddenly looking totally out of form, Pope suspension etc.

Eddie deserved that trophy for his efforts this year. However if we get top 4 from the position we were in when he took over is nothing short of miraculous. 

It will also mean we have every chance to win something in coming seasons aswell. 

The fact we are playing even better stuff than we were pre world cup is outrageous. First time in my life I'm going into games genuinely confident were going to blow teams away. Great turn around after that dip we had.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think in terms of competitiveness of the league too. There was only really Man U better than us back then, Liverpool, Arsenal etc weren't the forces those two years. Howe has turned around a club going down and taken them above clubs with far better infrastructures, facilities, squads and is steamrolling teams. +30 goal difference is phenomenal from where we were. We're above clubs who've spent more on a defender than we have on the full back 5 for instance. 

🤦‍♂️

Arsenal weren’t a force they won the league in the seasons we finished 4th and 5th and were one of the greatest premier league teams of all time over that spell.

In 2001-2002 Leeds were still stacked, Liverpool had a quality side and Chelsea were pretty good too.

15 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Yeah describing the arsenal of viera and henry as not a force is a somewhat odd take

Has to go down as possibly the best premier league team ever from a neutrals view.

Comfortably able to watch that era and be in awe of how good they were.

If only you could bring past teams into the present day and see how different they are now with the technology off the field and advances in management 

2 hours ago, Ace said:

🤦‍♂️

Arsenal weren’t a force they won the league in the seasons we finished 4th and 5th and were one of the greatest premier league teams of all time over that spell.

In 2001-2002 Leeds were still stacked, Liverpool had a quality side and Chelsea were pretty good too.

I was talking 94-97. 

8 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Swap you an unfit Isak for Weghorst? 

Declined. :lol:

You had peak Rashford and Casemiro going into that, we had an out-of-form Wilson and Bruno just coming back from suspension. One of those things.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Declined. :lol:

You had peak Rashford and Casemiro going into that, we had an out-of-form Wilson and Bruno just coming back from suspension. One of those things.

We also had Weghorst up top, no Eriksen, and had just played the second leg against Barcelona three days before while you had 8 days rest. 

Just think the occasion got to the players. Can't see it being the same next season. Hopefully we have a striker by then. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We also had Weghorst up top, no Eriksen, and had just played the second leg against Barcelona three days before while you had 8 days rest. 

Just think the occasion got to the players. Can't see it being the same next season. Hopefully we have a striker by then. :lol:

I don't think it did tbh. Just our players capable of winning the match were either out of form or not fully fit. 

Less than 2 years ago the 1st 20 minutes of my morning after a Newcastle game was wasted pouring hate on Bruces bones (Still hate him with a passion), now its unbridled joy replaying highlights & drooling over King Eddies every word, best thing is were only just getting going under this colossus.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I was talking 94-97. 

You are replying to a post talking about comparing this team to the Bobby team so that’s a strange one but ok.

94-97 you have to add Blackburn into the picture as well as taking into account the league overall was much more competitive 

10 hours ago, alexf said:

It's a real shame the cup final happened to fall during our worst dip in form this year with players looking tired and people like Wilson suddenly looking totally out of form, Pope suspension etc.

Eddie deserved that trophy for his efforts this year. However if we get top 4 from the position we were in when he took over is nothing short of miraculous. 

It will also mean we have every chance to win something in coming seasons aswell. 

The fact we are playing even better stuff than we were pre world cup is outrageous. First time in my life I'm going into games genuinely confident were going to blow teams away. Great turn around after that dip we had.

Was thinking this last night as well. Just came a month too early for us that, I would fancy us to win that final if it was happening now, and he might not admit it, but @Froggy  would probably agree.