Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I agree with 99% of that but as far as I’m concerned, Eddie is already part of the elite. What he has done over the last two years is incredible.

In a way I'd be inclined to sort of agree but, although he's up there for me he's not quite elite yet...but I do take your point.

2 hours ago, mondonewc said:

Lot of talk on here about rotating the defence, Trippier, Liveramento, etc, but Howe's made it very clear many times that he's against rotating the defence and he likes to play the same back 5 every game. Whether you agree with that or not is another matter, but his philosophy is very clear on this. 

If he persists with that, I worry that in time it could spell his downfall, but until then:

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

Gonna trust Howe to get it right. 

... but I've and many others have stated this so many times now I didn't think every post needed to be pre-fixed with this statement any time even hypothetical questions/scenarios are being raised.

3 hours ago, Cronky said:

I agree with 99% of that but as far as I’m concerned, Eddie is already part of the elite. What he has done over the last two years is incredible.

I think he's done a brilliant job, but you can't be part of the elite without winning something (and ideally, a lot) - that's the difference between, say, Klopp and Guardiola, who have hoovered up silverware, and Arteta*, who is a manager doing a very good job but not elite.  

Winning something does not make you elite, but not winning anything makes you not elite. Or something like that.

* The plastic-haired cunt.

Edited by brummie

God I miss the good old days when Eddie was untouchable and guided us to 2 wins and a draw over Chelsea, PSG and Man U in a week with effectively 11 senior players fit and we had the most points in the premier league over a 10 game period despite competing in the toughest champions league group and getting through ridiculous cup draws, all while dealing with the worst injury crisis I can remember.

The first week of December was so long ago now. :(

Seriously though, this year is a big learning experience for Eddie as well as the players. It's the first time he's dealt with Europe and realistically the squad isn't really a champions league level squad yet. Plus the general toughness of fixtures and injury situations... I can't imagine he'll get a harder season. But tough lessons make great experience & he'll be looking to adjust and improve.

Let's face it, 3 good results in a row or 3 bad results in a row and the mood around a football club completely changes. Just need to hang on and the good ones will start coming back.

Yeah as a self-confessed perennial Klopp despiser, I don't think you'll find many try to argue he's not a top tier coach. He's just a fucking prick to go along with it. :lol:

I'm happy enough in having someone who doesn't instil a visceral hatred in me, even if he may not have proven himself to be in that top tier just yet. Well, I'm happy enough until questions need to be asked of him, at least.

I'm sure a few of the questions being asked of Howe, he'll be asking himself and looking to improve. 

He has a lot of credit in the bank. I don't always agree with his decisions and I'm sure some of the players don't either but I believe fully in the vision that he'll get us exactly where we need to be. I don't think I've seen too many over the top opinions once the dust settled from Sunday, but then I avoid Twitter other than what gets shared on here.

1 hour ago, Checko said:

God I miss the good old days when Eddie was untouchable and guided us to 2 wins and a draw over Chelsea, PSG and Man U in a week with effectively 11 senior players fit and we had the most points in the premier league over a 10 game period despite competing in the toughest champions league group and getting through ridiculous cup draws, all while dealing with the worst injury crisis I can remember.

The first week of December was so long ago now. :(

Seriously though, this year is a big learning experience for Eddie as well as the players. It's the first time he's dealt with Europe and realistically the squad isn't really a champions league level squad yet. Plus the general toughness of fixtures and injury situations... I can't imagine he'll get a harder season. But tough lessons make great experience & he'll be looking to adjust and improve.

Let's face it, 3 good results in a row or 3 bad results in a row and the mood around a football club completely changes. Just need to hang on and the good ones will start coming back.

Add to that the ridiculous cup draws we’ve had. Every one has been a top side, including in the Carabao. Then we draw the Mackems away in the FA Cup which is a hot potato as well.

I think we’ve done remarkably well to cope with all that, including the injury crisis, and still be in seventh. 

Edited by NUFC_Chris

44 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Every time I watch his pre match press conference I'm just over the moon and proud that he's our manager. Exactly the mentality and mindset we need.

Not forgetting the fact we want to watch his press conferences. So refreshing. He’s hurting at the moment, doing his best riding a bike with a buckled wheel, loose seat, slipped gear and a slack chain. He’ll sort this but he needs a bit of the rub of the green atm. Love the guy :indi:

15 hours ago, brummie said:

I think he's done a brilliant job, but you can't be part of the elite without winning something (and ideally, a lot) - that's the difference between, say, Klopp and Guardiola, who have hoovered up silverware, and Arteta*, who is a manager doing a very good job but not elite.  

Winning something does not make you elite, but not winning anything makes you not elite. Or something like that.

* The plastic-haired cunt.

I know what you mean, and it comes down to the meaning of particular words, but it's a little bit like that issue of whether Messi could be considered an all-time great until he'd won a World Cup, like Pele and Maradona.

Another factor with Eddie is that he's performed a similar miracle at another club. It can't be a fluke. 

What astonished me with Eddie is how bad the team were at the time that he took over, and how quickly he turned things round. We went from Sheffield United to the Champions League in no time at all. The amount spent does not explain that.

Someone mentioned that Mourinho link before didnt they? 

Would go against everything the current regime has done previously. 

Two pretty poor 6th place finishes with Roma. An EL final and an ECL win to his credit but hes been finished at the elite level for years. Stay well clear. 

37 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Someone mentioned that Mourinho link before didnt they? 

Would go against everything the current regime has done previously. 

Two pretty poor 6th place finishes with Roma. An EL final and an ECL win to his credit but hes been finished at the elite level for years. Stay well clear. 

He just finds a player to pick on and then tries to bully the rest of team to not end up like the one he's singled out. Howe has coached some relatively average players into solid starters, as well as instilling some passion and togetherness at the club - the only time I've seen Jose get togetherness in a team is when he developed a siege mentality at Chelski the first time round. I want to see what Eddie can do over at least a 5-6 year period.

1 hour ago, Armchair Pundit said:

He just finds a player to pick on and then tries to bully the rest of team to not end up like the one he's singled out. Howe has coached some relatively average players into solid starters, as well as instilling some passion and togetherness at the club - the only time I've seen Jose get togetherness in a team is when he developed a siege mentality at Chelski the first time round. I want to see what Eddie can do over at least a 5-6 year period.

As much as I agree you can’t just discount Porto & Inter Milan

As much as it would be a risky appointment (it never ends well) Mourinho would get the backing of the fans through his Sir Bobby routes. It would be an entertaining watch for a couple years too. For me I hope Howe is still in the job for years to come and we become successful.

1 minute ago, black_n_white said:

As much as it would be a risky appointment (it never ends well) Mourinho would get the backing of the fans through his Sir Bobby routes. It would be an entertaining watch for a couple years too. For me I hope Howe is still in the job for years to come and we become successful.

If Howe was to leave I'd take him tbf, he knows how to win a cup. However I wouldn't take him over Howe.

Edited by WideopenMag