Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Felt like Eddie was alluding to the fact he couldn't utilise the team in this competition that he imagined, judging from what he said, you'd obviously count Tonali, and Barnes here, then the added injuries we accumulated along the way.

These extra competitions completely emphasise why you need lots of depth through the squad, all the major sides that make it far in this competition have this. 

It's tough on Eddie, he shouldn't really be judged on this outing, it was technically an experimental phase, he will be judged on it though, but to be handed the most challenging group, be robbed of a result, and manage a totally patched up side, competing in all competitions, he couldn't have done more.

14 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Fuck off. 

From the BBC football gossip page. 

I’ve been watching a lot of Roma for the past two seasons and they are honestly one of the most boring sides I’ve ever seen despite having some class players.

Would absolutely hate it if Mourinho ever came here as a manager, he’s done at the top level.

Just now, Pata said:

I’ve been watching a lot of Roma for the past two seasons and they are honestly one of the most boring sides I’ve ever seen despite having some class players.

Would absolutely hate it if Mourinho ever came here as a manager, he’s done at the top level.

You don't appoint Dan Ashworth if you're not going to have a playing style and philosophy that weaves between managers, so thankfully it's likely bullshit.

Didn't think he was naive, it was Schär and Isak who were naive for their second, but Howe twisted to freshen things up and all of the moves didn't work out. Gordon, Trippier, and Miley were all miles better than their replacements and even one of them stay on and maybe things are different. Ah well. 

I didn’t mind the subs, Leao is their main threat and having Tino on him instead of tired and probably injured Trippier made sense. Gordon most likely wasn’t fit to play 90 and Longstaff for Miley is an obvious sub.

Almiron didn’t deserve 90 but we had no else left on the bench to replace him.

54 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Don't get the Trippier sub, subbing him when he was having a decent game with Saturday off to come and yet he left him on when he was gassed to fuck and making mistakes the last two weeks. Gordon going off just as he was coming to the boil felt odd too.

Wonder if they were pre-planned subs rather than reactionary but they felt odd at the time and we unravelled soon after.

He'll learn from this I'm sure, first European campaign. The overall feeling is that Dortmund away aside, we've played well and competed in all the games and yet finished bottom due to sides with a bit more savvy and nous and experience in Europe edging us, as well as the travesty of a pen at PSG. Same feeling as I had after the Man U final, no disgrace at all just a team full of big-game experience versus one at the start of its journey (Tripps aside).

Could do with a humdrum, boring as shit 1-0 win against Fulham just to get the winning feeling back. Good to have a few more bodies and hopefully we can push on this season.

On the balance of play we lose all the away games comfortably. Could’ve conceded 3 in all of them without complaints. 

3 home games.  Excellent in 1. Poor in another. And a bit Jekyll and Hyde in the last. 

Saying all of that.  I am proud of the lads.  In the end a bad decision and 3 poor halves of football at home ultimately cost us. And we are playing against 3 very decent sides. It’s been so fun and I hope we get back into it next season.  

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Trippier was having a good game tbf. And he’s not playing on Sat. 

It felt like 2 super odd subs.  Probably pre-planned. 

He must’ve hurt himself in the collision with Giroud IMO.

Some great posts in threads about how he went for CL next round option as he is that kind of person, caution to the wind etc. - that will bode well in the future, I'm sure.

That said, how it feels to me tonight, we need to win something this season and the EL was another realistic shot at a trophy so I'm gutted about how we've come out with nothing.

9 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Some great posts in threads about how he went for CL next round option as he is that kind of person, caution to the wind etc. - that will bode well in the future, I'm sure.

That said, how it feels to me tonight, we need to win something this season and the EL was another realistic shot at a trophy so I'm gutted about how we've come out with nothing.

Any particular reason(s) you feel we 'need' to win something this season? Genuine question, not trying to start owt. :lol:

Do we need to win something or is finishing top 7 enough at least this year, building a better team and mentality.

You can see the layers being built and may take a bit of time for our first trophy. Next Tuesday feels like a big game but establishing ourselves in top 6 feels more important and then building beyond that.

Trippier was allegedly limping after the game.

Almost satirical though, a couple of the lads that were berating Howe for not taking Trippier off v Wolves are doing the same for bringing him off here.

Edited by The Prophet

Yeah we can't say we need to win something this season considering who we're competing with. The likes of Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool are years ahead of us, and the deck is stacked in their favour for the foreseeable future. We will win something in the next few years but in the meantime need to focus on progressing on and off the pitch, which we're doing. 

Edited by Interpolic