Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

25 minutes ago, Erikse said:

There has been so many injuries in general this season. Read somewhere that it was probably partly a hangover from games being moved from last season (WC and the death of the Queen), but also because of the new stoppage time rules.

And yes, we have probably had the worst injury nightmare out of every club in the PL. Not denying that. Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd are other contenders, but Chelsea has a very big squad to compensate for it. Also Chelsea and Spurs were not in Europe, so they didn't have the same fatigue issues. Without Europe we could atleast field the same strong 11 that we had available each game, without the massive fatigue issue.

I put it down to a small squad (what we were left with) and extra games you can't really play a second XI for, it's not like we got league cup draws at home to Colchester.

1 hour ago, madras said:

We'd no Centre forward at Bournemouth, look at our centre halves at Man Utd in the league cup.

For us it's been as much yeah we've 11 fit players..... but that's it for 2+months with games every 3 or 4 days.

I know. I have been watching almost every game. Again, I'm responding to a comment that said that Tottenham has been struggling as of late just because of having 2 important players out. Do you think that this is an accurate statement?

And just to respond to what you wrote in this post. The Man Utd game doesn't matter in this context. We had better options available. Also I never meant to downplay our injury struggles in any of my posts. If we had pretty much all of our CBs out with injury, then we would probably also lose to Brighton. My point is that they have not struggled lately, apart from 1 game where they had to play 4 fullbacks in their defence (which is not down to having just 2 injuries on important players). Tottenhams form is pretty good, especially when considering their several absences, and our form is shit (which is also kind of understandable due to our even larger injury list).

Edited by Erikse

6 hours ago, madras said:

I put it down to a small squad (what we were left with) and extra games you can't really play a second XI for, it's not like we got league cup draws at home to Colchester.

I’m sure Howe will look at things and think well maybe I could’ve done this or that differently but probably small things. But the squad size is key as we’re still building. I think even if we’d had no injuries or just 1 or 2 our squad would’ve been stretched given the sheer number of games and the high quality nature of them. We basically picked up a few and then things spiralled downwards because we were then relying on an ever decreasing pool of players. The sheer number we’ve had and really key quality players - Barnes, Willock, Botman, Anderson, Tonali (albeit for different reasons) has completely fucked us. You can’t take all these players out and have such key games and not really struggle. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

On 31/12/2023 at 02:10, madras said:

I meant to say so many injuries in general in the PL, which was possibly down to added stoppage time and WC from last season.

We were just unlucky with a bunch of freak injuries, like Pope and Murphys dislocated shoulder, Burn and Andersons back injury, Targetts hamstring (barely played a game), Barnes toe injury and Botmans knee injury from the start of the season, Tonalis gambling problems. It's mostly Isak and Wilson who has had injuries that could be explained by playing too many games, together with some minor absences from Joelinton. Possibly Longstaff? Not sure what his ankle problem was about. Willock aswell, but his problems stem from last season.

Edited by Erikse

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Good to see massive Sunderland fan and former ALS contributor Jonathan Wilson getting the column inches in for some completely unbiased commentary there 

Just about to say I'm not opening the link but it's one of two people that did it. Actually wheeze keyz Louise had been quiet lately 

Outside of the physical injuries, don't discount the mental effect of dropping out of the CL after giving such a good account due to obvious refereeing mistakes. When you get so near and miss out, it takes time to rebound from that. The mental effect of getting close to the quad and missing out was highlighted by several of our players last year. 

21 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Outside of the physical injuries, don't discount the mental effect of dropping out of the CL after giving such a good account due to obvious refereeing mistakes. When you get so near and miss out, it takes time to rebound from that. The mental effect of getting close to the quad and missing out was highlighted by several of our players last year. 

Even just the debilitating mental effect of the same 11 playing 90 mins plus massive amounts of added time, 3 times a week against top quality opposition

We’ve had so many injuries that the ones who were able to pull on a jersey have had their heads & bodies fried by the workload  

Edited by bobbydazzla

22 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Very good point. For all the moaning about recent performances we didn't really deserve to be out of the CL, and the league cup loss was a heart breaker. We go through in those competitions and everything would look so much better.

Haven't we always suffered from a lot of injuries over the years to the point the training ground (What they train on,i know the gym got upgraded) was a hotspot to look into? Or have i made that up? Over Eddie's period, we've had breaks with the World Cup where we could go away for 2 weeks etc for warm-weather training 

Edited by astraguy

2 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

You're absolutely right; you can't understate the impact of that travesty against PSG and I hold that incidient far more accountable for our slump than any decision by Eddie Howe.

What we're witnessing atm is the cumulative effect of an absolutely brutal month in terms of incidents going against us. The PSG call; Trippier's Chelsea catastrophe; Pope ending his season diving for nothing - all to a backdrop of no squad depth and a grueling schedule.

It's been an absolute nightmare and I don't really think Howe has done much wrong. We're not yet in a position to recover and it'll get worse before it gets better. He'll have performed another miracle if we get to the end of Jan still in the cup and with our European chase back on track, because we are simply not equipped to turn our fortunes around atm. Literally just having to put Dubravka in nets severely handicaps us.

If we have a full squad to choose from between February and May - I'm confident we can finish well and we can more fairly scrutinise his performance. But even then, he easily deserves the grace of one ropey season given the sledgehammer blows we've had to absorb. 

18 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Good to see massive Sunderland fan and former ALS contributor Jonathan Wilson getting the column inches in for some completely unbiased commentary there 

Off the map - even accounting for Wilson's loyalties - to compare the way City fans regarded Mark Hughes and the level of respect Howe has earned from us. Beyond ludicrous.

6 minutes ago, magorific said:

Off the map - even accounting for Wilson's loyalties - to compare the way City fans regarded Mark Hughes and the level of respect Howe has earned from us. Beyond ludicrous.

100%.  And of course Hughes was in situ when the Abu Dhabi takeover happened - he wasn’t their choice 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

6 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don't get it. Can someone help?

Go on, I’ll bite - can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic :)

WKL is named that because she’s from Sunderland - ‘wheyse keyse are theyse keyse’ is the old chant at the Mackems (with keys jangled at them).  Louise also is pronounced in that odd Mackem way as ‘Leweyse’.  So Wheyse Keyse Leweyse. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Go on, I’ll bite - can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic :)

WKL is named that because she’s from Sunderland - ‘wheyse keyse are theyse keyse’ is the old chant at the Mackems (with keys jangled at them).  Louise also is pronounced in that odd Mackem way as ‘Leweyse’.  So Wheyse Keyse Leweyse. 

Thank you. I wasn't being sarcastic. Although born in Newcastle, I left when still in nappies, so there is much of local culture that is unfamiliar.

On 31/12/2023 at 02:12, Bintang said:

The Guardian love a little dig at us.

Unsurprising given the likes of that mackem cunt who presents on TalkSPORT and sends unsolicited dick pics to lasses writes for them.