Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

My word a few on here man 🤦🏻 I can imagine a few on here having their dream celebrity threesome (Karen Gillan and Gillian Anderson for moi fwiw) and spend the immediate aftermath complaining that one of them left their wet towels on the bathroom floor.

Have we already become so detached from where we were less than two years ago to not be able to enjoy a hard fought away win?

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No im not saying that at all. I’ve never suggested that.  I’m on record as to saying I like Burns profile as a LB. A defence first left footed LB who is tall and can tuck in to make a back 3 in build up.  I just don’t think he’s good at it. I’m also on record as saying I think Burn brings a lot of leadership to the team. I know Howe has his reasons for starting him, there are numerous reasons to start him. I just think atm he’s wrong.  The weaknesses outweigh the strengths. Burns confidence is clearly going too. He’s a weakness in the team and it’s getting exploited. He doesn’t have Joe infront of him to protect him and he doesn’t have Pope behind him to sweep up hopeful balls behind him. He’s becoming a liability. 

Football fans know a lot about their team.  We watch them week in week out. You have eyes and a brain.  Howe is a professional and knows a lot more than us aye. That doesn’t mean he is always right and we are always wrong.  

I don't disagree with any of that, good post.

I just take issue with the over-the-top craziness in the match threads, a handful reveling in being "right", happy when committed local players make mistakes and calling EH all kinds of distasteful names. Boils my piss. A lack of true midfield options, the injury to Pope, these are just as relevant factors in us being more vulnerable defensively than we were. I tend to doubt we'll line up the same next season, evolution is on the cards, it just doesn't happen overnight.

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

He got man of the match against Fulham, but not Villa? Schar was MOTM against Villa. Burn struggled against Bailey in the second half of that game and was subbed off. 

he didnt get subbed off. 

he got tino to come on and give him a hand.

We're 7th in the league - which is about where we should be.  Eddie had us massively over performing last season with a squad which had very few injuries.  Of course he doesn't get everything right and he makes decisions which we may disagree with, but there is no one I would rather have managing my club.

3 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

My word a few on here man 🤦🏻 I can imagine a few on here having their dream celebrity threesome (Karen Gillan and Gillian Anderson for moi fwiw) and spend the immediate aftermath complaining that one of them left their wet towels on the bathroom floor.

Have we already become so detached from where we were less than two years ago to not be able to enjoy a hard fought away win?

Think it's a mixture of clear WUM accounts looking for bites plus a small number of others for whom enjoyment should probably be sought elsewhere and probably with a different sport altogether. I enjoyed the game today, enjoyed last week too, poor goals conceded aside. Maybe i'm just a tiny minority but the transformation of us from where we were is still incredible to me.

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

he didnt get subbed off. 

he got tino to come on and give him a hand.

Yeah I already edited my post to say that. However, point remains that he struggled against Bailey which is why Tino came on. 

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

It really isn't, when he's so fundamental to us conceding so many goals and chances, and us having no option down the left flank because he's such a slow, limited footballer.

It's like if you put an actual dwarf in goal, you couldn't say "it's just one individual selection, so quite a small factor in our results" when teams would mercilessly exploit that game after game.

I get the point but it’s really not that bad IMO. The bigger problem is the midfield, which would lead to almost any LB being vulnerable. 

Dont want to go through the whole match chat, but what were the names that Eddie was called etc? 

There are (maybe)some valid points of criticism that people are raising, and then some good discussion on those points on "both sides". Hardly anyone has wanted him sacked or anything like that. Surely It is very hard not to like him as a Newcastle fan, whatever you think of Burn or Hall or anything?

I have been thinking that it is almost a straw man or something imaginery when people raising some points get branded of hating Eddie etc. 

But maybe there really are some name calling or this and that.

Clearly the win ment a lot for Eddie today btw :thup:

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I get the point but it’s really not that bad IMO. The bigger problem is the midfield, which would lead to almost any LB being vulnerable. 

Well why isn't our right back just as vulnerable?

Burn is too slow. He doesn't get outskilled, nobody's sending him the wrong way with a deft feint or the drop of a shoulder, people just knock the ball past him and run, and there's nothing he can do. That's not even something he can work on in training, he'll never be any faster.

Yes our midfield could offer more protection to the back line, but Burn being beaten for pace again and again by people just running round him isn't the midfield's fault.

13 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Burn is too slow. He doesn't get outskilled, nobody's sending him the wrong way with a deft feint or the drop of a shoulder, people just knock the ball past him and run, and there's nothing he can do. That's not even something he can work on in training, he'll never be any faster.

Yes our midfield could offer more protection to the back line, but Burn being beaten for pace again and again by people just running round him isn't the midfield's fault.

Tbf if Pope was playing that goal never happens.  But I get your point. Burn was rippped multiple times and was an obvious weak link.  And Pope isn’t playing so hopeful balls behind Burn with the attacker giving Burn a 5 yard head start will continue to be a problem. 

41 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Anyone has a bad word to say about him better be prepared for a fight. Not with me like, but I'll find someone 

I'll fight them, like. Fuck anyone who talks shite about wor Eddie. 

21 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I mean the same happened to Botman. I like Dubs but he's a lot slower off his line than Pope.

That wasn't the issue last week like, Burn was genuinely rinsed, but any keeper quick off his line and adept at the sweeper role does better against Elanga today.

4 hours ago, Beren said:

I'd not be devastated if he replaced Southgate if I'm honest. Last season was a 9/10 performance. This year is closer to 5/10.

Ah man, hope someone hacked your account.

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Assuming we want to go and win titles, do you genuinely believe Howe is the man to do it ? Genuine question btw, I’m not sure either way at this stage.

Is there anything that suggests that he wouldn't be the man right now? He's worked at Bournemouth, Burnley and Newcastle which he took to a cup final in his first full season. Only reason that question gets thrown about is the fact he hasn't won anything yet but I don't really think his trophy drought at Bournemouth looks that bad on his CV (if you exclude the numerous promotions). 

1 hour ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

ivan rakitic GIF

3 hours ago, David Edgar said:

The main issues are:

1) No Pope - so we can't play the high line to close down the space opponents have in midfield

2) Having to play Miley in midfield - which compounds the first issue. Miley just isn't ready for the physicality and it is showing

3) Injuries in general - so we are very inflexible in general, but especially off the bench

I think Dan Burn can play LB for us if we have Pope and a functioning midfield. But he is so vulnerable at the moment to balls over the top or wide. And I know we won today, but we relied on individual quality in a game that 2/3 we would lose. And I don't fully attribute that to Howe, before anyone says it. It is because of the reasons listed above. Although, at the same time, I am frustrated that we aren't addressing the LB issue and Tino is stuck on the bench. Maybe it is Burn's leadership, or his height, or the familiarity/partnerships with other players that keeps him on the pitch. I could be very wrong and it wouldn't be any better with Tino. But even still, I think it is completely fine to say "hey, that's a glaring issue" and "can Howe not do something about it?" Maybe the answer to the second question is no.

Will reemphasise that I think Howe is class, cos I think people are seriously missing that. 

Sensible post 👍🏻

48 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Trippier is about as good a defender as Burn. I’ve seen him get done quite a few times, but in actual fact Schar is better at coming across and helping than Botman is. That’s one of the reasons.

However the main reason is that Trippier is one of the most creative players in the world, which helps us pin the opposition back on that side.