Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 hours ago, Pata said:

Confidence and composure have absolutely nothing to do with motivation, howay man. :lol:

Of course they are linked. 

There’s academic research into it.  This links to several psychology research papers  https://www.princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers/CONFQJE2.pdf

It doesn’t take a scholar to realise that confidence enhances the motivation to act and that morale has an impact on someone achieving a difficult endeavour.

Eddie’s style of play is fairly high risk. All that pressing requires bravery and confidence and to take risks.  

When you’re motivated and confident you are more likely to be composed. You can make clear headed decisively and quickly and your body is ready to do it.  

24 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

No idea what you're on about. I'm saying it wasn't a great performance but the players gave maximum effort.

We field a strong squad, our players gave maximum effort, and we were just fortunate to beat a Championship team who is fighting for league survival. Yet people said Howe should not be blamed for the tough display. Some even said we did a good job.

A few weeks ago it’s Luton was a good team and it shouldn’t be unacceptable to lose points against them, according to some people here.

I am very confused. I feel like our club should be something like Luton instead of Newcastle United.

Edited by Zero

Just now, Zero said:

We field a strong squad, our players gave maximum effort, and we were just fortunate to beat a Championship team who is fighting for league survival. Yet people said Howe should not be blamed for the poor performance.

A few weeks ago it’s Luton was a good team and it shouldn’t be unacceptable to lose points against them, according to some people here.

I am very confused. I feel like our club should be something like Luton instead of Newcastle United.

We need to improve, it's pretty obvious, and I doubt anyone would argue with that.

Does sacking Howe improve the team? Personally I doubt it. However, it is how the modern football fan thinks these days, so it's not that surprising.

Something isn’t right. Whether it’s just an accumulation of extra games with fewer available fit players, lack of options within those players, refusal to try something different. 

It’s probably all the above and that we also over achieved last season. 

Eddie still has a lot of goodwill in the tank. Big summer coming up, the owners  may feel compelled to act if next season doesn’t start well. That said, the players available at that point should see us look at different side. 

Praying for a kind home QF draw.

Edited by Tsunami

Just now, Tsunami said:

Something isn’t right off. Whether it’s just an accumulation of extra games with fewer available fit players, lack of options within those players, refusal to try something different. 

It’s probably all the above and that we also over achieved last season. 

Eddie still has a lot of goodwill in the tank. Big summer coming up, the owners  may feel compelled to act if next season doesn’t start well. That said, the players available at that point should see us look at different side. 

Praying for a kind home QF draw.

IMO if a slow start is enough to get him fired next season - he should be let go this summer.  If we trust him, let’s trust him for the season. 

Eddie isnt immune from criticism and he isn’t helping himself with a few of the decisions he is making, but some of the comments (not necessarily on here) are way overboard.

we massively overachieved last season. This season, as poor as the performances have been recently, we are still fighting for a European spot, and in a fa cup QF, when you add the context of the CL draw and the injury crisis, we are not doing too bad. 

A lot of the problems that were evident to me last night is a lot of our squad are bang average at best; last season they overperformed but have now reverted to type. Longstaff, Murphy, Burn, Lascelles etc.

Howe is not in control of players decision making. He can’t control Lascelles missing the ball completely leading to their goal. Every time Murphy got the ball he didnt know what to do with it and slowed the play down. Similar with longstaff. 

the fact is it will take time to revamp the squad to where we want to be. 

I still have faith that Eddie is the man.

I haven’t a clue how to fix this but an obvious thing for me is the midfield rarely creates for the striker or even support the striker and neither is the midfield sufficiently covering the defence.

So, probably the most important 3rd of the modern game, the middle 3rd is not functioning properly in either direction.

Obviously if you have lots of injuries and absentees from the midfield this will undoubtedly explain a lot.

But, the nagging issue for me for some time now is: is our only means of midfield advantage that we outrun other teams?

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

You think you can knock this on the head on your own - your so fucking deluded (note - I’m also a Geordie)

I knocked my own head and decided that I wouldn’t make anymore of it, though other heads should receive a good knocking to hopefully put a stop to it :) 

15 minutes ago, joeyt said:

The Trippier moving into midfield is a strange one. Doesn't seem to be working and means we lose our best crosser of the ball

I found Murphy moving to the 2nd striker role equally baffling. 

If we had finished 10th or 11th last season after avoiding relegation people would have been happy. This season would be seen as another step in the rebuild and looking to finish 7th or 8th we would be on target for where we want to be. Because of the way we massively overachieved last season everything is measured against that 

13 minutes ago, NWMag said:

A lot of the problems that were evident to me last night is a lot of our squad are bang average at best; last season they overperformed but have now reverted to type. Longstaff, Murphy, Burn, Lascelles etc.

im being a little mischievous here, and I’m only quoting you NWM for the wording, not directing this to you.

and for the record I do not believe Eddie is bang average.

but… there is a fair bit of comment on how the players who got us to 4th last season are not good enough to take us forward and need to be sold. Reverting to type as above and last season was a move from the norm.

so why can’t the same be true for Eddie and what we are now seeing is the real Eddie, with the first 18 months being exceptional?

fwiw I said early in his tenure that I thought Eddie would win us a cup but wouldn’t get is the league. I stand by this. He’s done a phenomenal job to get us here, and I’ve a sneaky feeling that we’re going to get a nice draw this evening and will get to the final of the FA cup. I then have doubts on whether he has enough left to be the one who takes us forward again. Sometimes people just have a useful shelf life and ultimately lay the groundwork for the next person to benefit 

7 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

If we had finished 10th or 11th last season after avoiding relegation people would have been happy. This season would be seen as another step in the rebuild and looking to finish 7th or 8th we would be on target for where we want to be. Because of the way we massively overachieved last season everything is measured against that 

Aye I start to think in this way as well, we should just ignore last season results and we all would appreciate Howe again.

Everything looks different if you just regard us as the former old Newcastle that always fight for relegation under the Fat Cunt. That’s a huge step forward in the sense that we ain’t fear for relegation anymore.

3 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

im being a little mischievous here, and I’m only quoting you NWM for the wording, not directing this to you.

but… there is a fair bit of comment on how the players who got us to 4th last season are not good enough to take us forward and need to be sold. Reverting to type as above and last season was a move from the norm.

so why can’t the same be true for Eddie and what we are now seeing is the real Eddie, with the first 18 months being exceptional?

fwiw I said early in his tenure that I thought Eddie would win us a cup but wouldn’t get is the league. I stand by this. He’s done a phenomenal job to get us here, and I’ve a sneaky feeling that we’re going to get a nice draw this evening and will get to the final of the FA cup. I then have doubts on whether he has enough left to be the one who takes us forward again. Sometimes people just have a useful shelf life and ultimately lay the groundwork for the next person to benefit 

So Howe NOT winning us the league is some sort of measure of his failings? Utter nonsense. We can't win the league, end of. Not while FFP maintains the established order of the Premier League.

13 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

It’s a valid theory to put forward, and you’re right in the sense that overachieving isn’t limited just to the players. 

however I believe that a large part of them overperforming was down to Howe. 

As said I do have faith in Howe, however I do acknowledge that he also needs to evolve and make improvements to himself if he is going to reach the top. 

35 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Not after the Isak signing. 

you don’t sign a £60m striker to finish 11th.  We managed that the season before without one. 

We have the 7th highest wage bill in the league.  That should be our floor this season.  Especially when Chelsea are one of the clubs with a bigger wage bill.  

Our shape when our defenders have the ball in settled possession is absolutely awful tbh and that is a structural issue that he needs to fix. It’s one thing that’s entirely to do with coaching rather than tiredness. There’s rarely anything on for Schar or Botman/Lascelles other than a sideways pass to another defender and it eventually ends in us either being impatient and booting it, or coming under pressure and giving it away cheaply. 

38 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

I’m sick of reading garbage like this mind. We finished 11th with Chris Wood up front, Shelvey in midfield, Fraser out wide, Dubravka in goal etc. 

If we’d finished 11th last season on the back of spending hundreds of millions the manager would’ve been sacked and rightfully so, tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I’m sick of reading garbage like this mind. We finished 11th with Chris Wood up front, Shelvey in midfield, Fraser out wide, Dubravka in goal etc. 

If we’d finished 11th last season on the back of spending hundreds of millions the manager would’ve been sacked and rightfully so, tbh. 

Couldn’t agree more. 

We finished 12th, 13th, 13th in three preceding seasons. 2 of them with Bruce as manager.

Finishing 11th with Isak, Bruno, Pope, Botman? Crazy.   

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Couldn’t agree more. 

We finished 12th, 13th, 13th in three preceding seasons. 2 of them with Bruce as manager.

Finishing 11th with Isak, Bruno, Pope, Botman? Crazy.   

I don’t disagree with the sentiment but 3/4 of those players have missed significant time this season with injury.