Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It's not all on Eddie by the way. I think our recent transfer strategy has been dodgy.

Barnes signing was the one I thought was dodgy. We have Gordon, Anderson, Joelinton all who can play in that position. The money would have been better spent on a proper 6 or a young up and coming striker 

We were a well oiled machine last season but last night we'd a midfield of Bruno who's probably in need of a rest and had to curb his natural aggression. Willock who's barely kicked a ball since last May and Longstaff who's woefully off form. Pair that with Gordon who probably also needs a rest, an 80% fit Isak and a role player in Murphy and it's easy to see why we're spluttering. Hopefully between the good break between Wolves on Saturday and Chelsea the Monday week then the international break at the end of the month revitalises us.

One criticism I would make is that the team looks in dire need of an injection of energy and he's inexplicably starting on the bench most weeks.

Edited by jackflap

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It's not all on Eddie by the way. I think our recent transfer strategy has been dodgy.

I think the season and sentiment would be very different if we had a fully fit Tonali available for most of it. He was clearly brought in to bring creativity, class and drive from midfield and yet we've had to battle on with Longstaff and Miley for months on end.

On balance, given injuries, suspensions and management's reluctance to play certain players, we've arguably been weaker player-wise this season than we were last despite signing 4 talented additions. Couple that with teams now knowing how to effectively play against us, and it's surprising the decline hasn't been worse.

Edited by Holmesy

9 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think you’re focussed on the wrong part of your own sentence.

Enough bad performances to remember a line being “trotted out” is surely the concern?

Not if your opinion is that too many in our support are hysterical messes who come out with that kind of nonsense on the reg like. 

40 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I don’t disagree with the sentiment but 3/4 of those players have missed significant time this season with injury. 

I really don't see how anyone can just ignore this. For all we know, Tonali and Barnes might not have even improved us that much, but chances are they would have. Also just being able to rotate would have surely have won us points that we've dropped late in games on a lot of occasions. I've been critical of Howe's reluctance to throw younger players on the pitch at times when we've been flagging, but you can't really judge him on a season where half the squad has been out of action.

Trippier into midfield almost felt like a last option, I’m out of ideas so trying what others are doing, approach. Looked horrendous, and hopefully something we don’t see again as we don’t have the personnel to do that.

Think that and a 4-2-3-1 we tried earlier in season (can’t remember who against) have both been made during 2nd half’s and both been shocking. Certainly doesn’t feel like things players have trained on and it’s just on the fly change.

I keep flicking between what I want to see moving forward. Just what I do know for certain, the same approach as last season isn’t it. Even if it’s a subtle change, something needs changing because it’s clearly not working with teams more knowledgable to expose the weaknesses within it.

If we get back to making SJP a fortress again, the points tally for rest of season I have as a top aim of 28 out of 36. That would give 65 points which is a strong season IMO and on par for what would’ve been anticipated at start of season. 2 points from last 4 home games been so damaging though for our current position and means we have no choice but to hit that required form now. Having had 6 more points at this stage would’ve changed the narrative tenfold. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I really don't see how anyone can just ignore this. For all we know, Tonali and Barnes might not have even improved us that much, but chances are they would have. Also just being able to rotate would have surely have won us points that we've dropped late in games on a lot of occasions. I've been critical of Howe's reluctance to throw younger players on the pitch at times when we've been flagging, but you can't really judge him on a season where half the squad has been out of action.

No, we need to achieve a minimum of 7th because we have the 7th highest wage bill - doesn't matter if much of that wage bill has been out injured/suspended and the rest of them have been played to death.

Its a pathetic argument that ignores all context and nuance, which is unsurprising given who is posting it.

10 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Trippier into midfield almost felt like a last option, I’m out of ideas so trying what others are doing, approach. Looked horrendous, and hopefully something we don’t see again as we don’t have the personnel to do that.

Think that and a 4-2-3-1 we tried earlier in season (can’t remember who against) have both been made during 2nd half’s and both been shocking. Certainly doesn’t feel like things players have trained on and it’s just on the fly change.

I keep flicking between what I want to see moving forward. Just what I do know for certain, the same approach as last season isn’t it. Even if it’s a subtle change, something needs changing because it’s clearly not working with teams more knowledgable to expose the weaknesses within it.

If we get back to making SJP a fortress again, the points tally for rest of season I have as a top aim of 28 out of 36. That would give 65 points which is a strong season IMO and on par for what would’ve been anticipated at start of season. 2 points from last 4 home games been so damaging though for our current position and means we have no choice but to hit that required form now. Having had 6 more points at this stage would’ve changed the narrative tenfold. 

Why ? It's something we've done a few times,never for a whole game but just for a spell, like last night.

Keep your eyes open, we alter things regularly in game, it's not 433 with the same people in the same positions doing the same thing all game.

3 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

No, we need to achieve a minimum of 7th because we have the 7th highest wage bill - doesn't matter if much of that wage bill has been out injured/suspended and the rest of them have been played to death.

Its a pathetic argument that ignores all context and nuance, which is unsurprising given who is posting it.

Aye, please drop this 7th highest wage bill nonsense, it was discredited yesterday and should have been left to die a death unless the poster is on the wind up.

9 hours ago, Yorkie said:

We could sit here and pore over why the bad performances were bad and decide just how bad they were. But I'm asking,  why bring up Bruce? What's the connection?

The point is that some seem to judge current managerial performances based on likeability or past results. Bruce got a lot of stick for each bad performance, and rightfully so. Ofcourse Howe is a better manager, don't get me wrong, Bruce was really bad. But it seems like when we have a manager that we don't like we have to collectively hate him every time we lose, while when we have a manager that we like and/or who has had good results in the past, we have to make excuses for every single bad choice or performance. Why is there no in between?

Edited by Erikse

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Aye, please drop this 7th highest wage bill nonsense, it was discredited yesterday and should have been left to die a death unless the poster is on the wind up.

Where has it been discredited?

Injuries and injury management are a part of football. That excuse doesn't remove accountability (and that is wider than Howe).

Our wage bill is £50m+ more than West Ham, Brighton and Wolves. That's the combined salary of Isak, Bruno, Botman, Trippier, Pope, Tonali and more. Finishing below all 3 (and Chelsea) would be a bad season. We finished 12th under Bruce.  I don't think that will happen though. I reckon we'll win 6 out of 8 or something by the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, Erikse said:

The point is that some seem to judge current managerial performances based on likeability or past results. Bruce got a lot of stick for each bad performance, and rightfully so. Ofcourse Howe is a better manager, don't get me wrong, Bruce was really bad. But it seems like when we have a manager that we don't like we have to collectively hate him every time we lose, while when we have a manager that we like and/or who has had good results in the past, we have to make excuses for every single bad choice or performance. Why is there no in between?

Agreed. That's how this forum is - someone is either the best thing in the world or the worst. No in-between.

I might come across as a major Howe critic but I'm not. I just don't see him as infallible and I think he's made several mistakes and decisions. As well as some great ones. I also think other decision-makers at the club got things wrong in the summer.

One thing to bear in mind is whilst we're starting to get players back they're not fully match fit and he's having to manage that. Essentially we're starting to see the rotation everyone has been asking for but it comes with its own issues in terms of a lack of stability in the team.

We've also got players coming back who haven't really played with each other before. That was quite evident yesterday with Miley and Barnes.

Both of these things should start to improve.

23 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I think it's absolute nonsense saying there's no in-between. I think the majority take the view that he's doing an admirable job under difficult circumstances but isn't without errors (that being the very definition of 'in-between'), then a small minority taking the obscene view that the team is a disgrace and he needs sacking. I routinely defend Howe but I don't see it as making excuses at all. 

"You can't criticise Howe round 'ere fnar fnar" is being leveled at people calling out those chatting shit comparing him to Bruce and/or saying his time's up.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s so difficult to tell though, surely? If they knew about Tonali in advance then I agree; but otherwise there’s a very reasonable case for signing Tonali, Barnes and Tino. Less of a case for Hall IMO and much less of a case for not signing a striker, but I still think on balance our strategy was logical.

1 hour ago, OverThere said:

Barnes signing was the one I thought was dodgy. We have Gordon, Anderson, Joelinton all who can play in that position. The money would have been better spent on a proper 6 or a young up and coming striker 

In your view - they might argue that making joelinton full time CM was a good idea because he seems to so specifically fit how we play. If Barnes stays fit and joelinton plays well there this year (both eminently possible), you’d say it’s a good buy. 

Way too early to tell re: Barnes, surely? He’s played like 5 matches? 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

For various reasons, three of our four summer recruits have barely played this season. The jury is very much out for me.

But how many reasons are within the club or manager’s control?! Hall transfer looks weird but even then maybe it’s genuinely one for the future. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Not after the Isak signing. 

you don’t sign a £60m striker to finish 11th.  We managed that the season before without one. 

We have the 7th highest wage bill in the league.  That should be our floor this season.  Especially when Chelsea are one of the clubs with a bigger wage bill.  

You keep saying this. We have the 9th highest according to some sources and 10th according to others. Where's your data from?

People were absolutely desperate to call Gordon's transfer a flop, to the extent that even though he was showing flashes of quality last season, they were going out of their way to highlight how bad he was.

Barnes has absolutely no chance at the minute :lol:

He's been injured all season and will likely need properly bedding into the squad, it's prime time to score a few points with disjointed performances. Turf toe has probably never caused such widespread jubilation before.

Think we need a reset/reboot in the summer. I know we have had a crazy amount of injuries but for weeks we have looked sluggish, slow, very very slow, lacking athleticism, lacking aggression, the press is fading, the shithousing has vanished, and we just seem so pedestrian and predictable, and as a result, confidence seems to have drained, we either need a new tactical plan, or to be absolutely ruthless and move players on (potentially Trippier, Longstaff, Murphy, Wilson, Lascelles, Ritchie, Dummett, Targett) to facilitate 5/6 new signings and get some needed pace and energy into the side. Ideally some decent free transfers to pad out the incomings and 2/3 big signings, and realistically think we need a Left Back, a Central Defender, a Central Midfielder and a Striker at an absolute minimum.

I dont want to hide behind injuries as it's part of the game and all teams have them, but the absence of Pope and Joelinton is huge. Think Pope really commands and leads at that back and brings a calming influence to those in front of him, and Joelinton's high energy and aggression really set the tone for others to follow. I'd also add, Batman looks way short of full fitness, Isak for all his quality constantly looks like a man rushed back too soon (this highlights a poorly assembled squad, we need options and sadly Wilson seems forever broken), and Barnes needs time, think he will be a big player next season. 

All that being said, Eddie has taken us a long way in a short space of time, and hopefully takes us a long way further.