Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I dunno, he clearly doesn't have that much faith in Hall as a left back and we were 1-0 up. He probably sees Krafth as a safe pair of hands (so to speak) who hasn't done a lot wrong when called upon during Eddie's time with us, even if he was horrific under Bruce (and obviously missed about a year under Howe). Either way, Krafth was hopeless when he came on and Hall was introduced at a time when all he had to do was attack as West Ham withdrew Antonio and more or less declared at 3 until the final minutes.

It's obviously unsustainable to keep needing to score at least three to win a game but if we're capable of doing it then it's far better than watching us cling on for dear death with 10 behind the ball.

Made up for him, was definitely questioning things after they got the third, our defending was shambolic at times. 

The Krafh sub was logically to me, he doesn’t trust Hall that’s clear and Emi has never let him down. 

I thought at the time he was bringing Krafth on to play CB so that nobody else had to change positions. Thought it was pretty insane that he actually brought him on to change all 4 positions around mid-way through a half. It wasn't a surprise that we were a total mess after that. 

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

I thought at the time he was bringing Krafth on to play CB so that nobody else had to change positions. Thought it was pretty insane that he actually brought him on to change all 4 positions around mid-way through a half. It wasn't a surprise that we were a total mess after that. 

Yeah, I predicted this sub but I didn’t want it. I guess he trusts Krafth a bit more defensively. 

Really happy for Howe yesterday. After the 3rd I was beginning to question him & whether it was beginning to go West. Subs forced his hands to an extent, but everyone of them is playing for him. Reassuring to see him take ownership of the Kratth substitution as well. 

8 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Made up for him, was definitely questioning things after they got the third, our defending was shambolic at times. 

The Krafh sub was logically to me, he doesn’t trust Hall that’s clear and Emi has never let him down. 

This.

I thought he was in trouble when they scored the third (as i then expected them to get a fourth), absolutely delighted we turned it around.

Hopefully onwards and upwards from here.

You don't expect to see a total reshuffle but I thought the initial raft of changes were logical. It was early in the game and it made sense to put the two natural CBs together on their favoured sides - as opposed to having a full-back at RCB and a right-footed player at LCB. Hall was never coming on in that situation, it's a moot point.

Fwiw Howe said in his MotD interview that, on reflection, it maybe wasn't the right call. 

Incidentally I back Krafthy to come out of this the right way. That performance was an aberration in terms of his games under Howe, and you know the manager will back him. If there's still no Trippier I wouldn't have any issue seeing him start on Tuesday. 

He’s been bailed out by the players yesterday, in fairness to them, they looked like feeling sorry for themselves and heads had dropped.. so there’s obviously some amount of team spirit there to regain that composure.

But we were shocking for 50 minutes of the game.. as bad as I’ve seen us since he arrived. Piss poor at the back, even when Lascelles was still on the pitch.

And as much as the subs had a positive effect. (Hall was great), if West Ham hadn’t brought off their striker to replace him with Philips.. I’m not sure we’d have had a sniff. They gave us encouragement to attack them.

You can’t not celebrate winners like that yesterday but many cracks/papering over is still the case.

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

He’s been bailed out by the players yesterday, in fairness to them, they looked like feeling sorry for themselves and heads had dropped.. so there’s obviously some amount of team spirit there to regain that composure.

But we were shocking for 50 minutes of the game.. as bad as I’ve seen us since he arrived. Piss poor at the back, even when Lascelles was still on the pitch.

And as much as the subs had a positive effect. (Hall was great), if West Ham hadn’t brought off their striker to replace him with Philips.. I’m not sure we’d have had a sniff. They gave us encouragement to attack them.

You can’t not celebrate winners like that yesterday but many cracks/papering over is still the case.

So he was accountable for us being 3-1 down but the players/opposition were accountable for the comeback. Sound, no agenda here then.

18 minutes ago, CheikBoom said:

Really happy for Howe yesterday. After the 3rd I was beginning to question him & whether it was beginning to go West. Subs forced his hands to an extent, but everyone of them is playing for him. Reassuring to see him take ownership of the Kratth substitution as well. 

Felt similar to that Norwich game under Benitez when we won it late. I was starting to worry that Benitez wasn’t the man to get us out of the Championship when we were losing after the rocky start to that season, only for us to pull it back and win.

People's need to twist an absolute classic of a comeback into the most negative view of it is wild like. Football is meant to be enjoyable, especially when you win it like that :lol:

Not even to mention the fact that Howe acknowledged it wasn't the right call in hindsight and adjusted accordingly. But of course the narrative among some is that he doesn't learn, so maybe we imagined that 

Edited by LiquidAK

All things considered it was an exciting game that we fully deserved to win. So even though there were a couple things so nitpick at, you are not going to see it from me this time.

If im going to criticize Howe when the players dont perform, I must also applaud him when they do. And overall i thought they did yesterday. So good job Eddie ;)

Eddie obviously has little faith in Hall as a defender. The decision to switch Livramento to the left and put Krafth on backfired when it became clear that Krafth was not in a confident frame of mind. That lack of confidence led to him playing Antonio onside, and not long after he gave the ball away in a dangerous situation. Krafth has looked poor and quite decent in different phases of his time here, and yesterday he turned out to be poor.

When we went two goals down, Eddie had to gamble, and that's when Hall really came into his own. He participated well in attack and made a difference. 

I think Eddie's reasoning is that the back five is already quite weak, and doesn't have protection from a defensive midfielder, so he can't afford to have a young, attack minded full back who may be vulnerable at the back post in particular.

So yes, Eddie got it wrong, but he's a manager who's prepared to back his own judgement even when more orthodox opinion might sway things another way. Most of the time, that attitude stands us in very good stead, as we can see by what's happened under his leadership. Occasionally, his boldness is going to leave him open to criticism, but let's not lose hold of the bigger picture.

Anyway, I think we can now look forward to young Lewis showing us what he's made of.

16 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

It wasn't as bad a performance at 3-1 as some are making out, It was flat, but Bruno hit the bar at 1-1 so it's not like we got blown away. Conceding 2 sloppy goals either side of half time was a frustration, but immensely proud of the players for not wilting and giving up. I love this team and I love Eddie Howe. Fucking get in 

Yeh it was.  

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

On our defensive issues, do people think as soon as Pope and Joelinton are back then our defensive issues will suddenly disappear? 

Pre Pope's injury from the start of season here's our goals conceded:

Villa - 1
City - 1
Liverpool - 2
Brighton - 3
Brentford - 0
Milan - 0
Sheff U - 0
City - 0 
Burnley - 0
PSG - 1 
West Ham - 2
Palace - 0
Dortmund - 1
Wolves - 2
Man U - 0 
Arsenal - 0 
Dortmund - 2 
Bournemouth - 2
Chelsea - 1
PSG - 1
Man U - 0 

Average per game conceded 0.90 goals per game

Without Pope 

Everton - 3
Spurs - 4
Milan - 2
Fulham - 0 
Chelsea - 1
Luton - 1
Forest - 3
Liverpool - 4
Scum - 0
Man City - 3
Fulham - 0 
Villa - 1
Luton - 4
Forest - 2
Bournemouth - 2
Arsenal - 4
Blackburn - 1
Wolves - 0 
Chelsea - 3
Man City - 2
West Ham - 3

Average per game = 2.05 goals per game conceded. 

Fair assessment to say that the list vs Pope is tougher opponents given most of CL games in that period. The big standout for me is there's only 1 game we conceded over 2 goals with Pope and we where abysmal that day vs Brighton, Pope included, but without him it's happened 9 times, conceding over 2 goals 43% of our games without him is absurd! I've been a big critic of Pope for his kicking and I do think it's an issue but it's very clear he's a huge miss for us and he's levels and levels above Dubravka. 

Edited by mondonewc

34 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

So he was accountable for us being 3-1 down but the players/opposition were accountable for the comeback. Sound, no agenda here then.

I’ve made no secret of it that I don’t think he’s the right person to take us to the next level. I still like him though, it’s not even comparable to the tossers we’ve had in that role over the years. But the way we’ve fallen off defensively has been and continues to be shocking there’s been no improvement there for months. So yes, he’s accountable for those soft goals we gave away.

West Ham bottled that game yesterday and Philips coming on was the catalyst.

2 moments of absolute brilliance saved us.. (Isak's pass and Barnes’ strike) - how much of that is down to Howe’s coaching or were those players already well capable of doing that before they came here?

I didn’t see any masterful tactical change that turned the game. Did you?

46 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

we needed our 2nd manager to take control at half time. Or do we need 3 for 30 minutes each?

46 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I’ve made no secret of it that I don’t think he’s the right person to take us to the next level. I still like him though, it’s not even comparable to the tossers we’ve had in that role over the years. But the way we’ve fallen off defensively has been and continues to be shocking there’s been no improvement there for months. So yes, he’s accountable for those soft goals we gave away.

West Ham bottled that game yesterday and Philips coming on was the catalyst.

2 moments of absolute brilliance saved us.. (Isak's pass and Barnes’ strike) - how much of that is down to Howe’s coaching or were those players already well capable of doing that before they came here?

I didn’t see any masterful tactical change that turned the game. Did you?

No one in their right mind would deny that we've got massive issues defensively, brought on by a desperate injury situation. 

But everything bad = Howe / everything good = players is just a stupid and narrow-minded way to analyse the game. For a start, I'd say the rescue was most accountable to the incredible mentality of the squad, which Howe is massively responsible for. 

Our move for the equaliser was class and it appeared coordinated and not just excellently executed. I actually think it's one of my favourite goals of the season by us.

Bruno and Longstaff making the box shape opening up space ahead of the midfield, perfect positioning of Barnes and Gordon to pick up striker positions as Isak dropped in, followed by excellent runs. Good width provided by Murphy and Anderson too in case needed.

we weren't horrendous first half, just not anywhere near our best.

isak and gordon missed decent chances and bruno hit the bar.

didnt see west ham create clear cut chances at the other end - just their goal and when burn nudged kudus off the ball preventing him getting ito the box.

Just now, huss9 said:

we weren't horrendous first half, just not anywhere near our best.

isak and gordon missed decent chances and bruno hit the bar.

didnt see west ham create clear cut chances at the other end - just their goal and when burn nudged kudus off the ball preventing him getting ito the box.

We weren’t horrendous but we don’t ever seem to have control of a match anymore.