Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t get me wrong I understand the reasoning, just saying I wouldn’t have minded seeing us try out a low block (we did so to some degree at home to Wolves and we looked really solid).

Ah fair enough. Maybe wouldn’t work vs West Ham who weren’t attacking; they invited us to take the initiative and tried to hit us on the counter (doing so effectively a few times). If anything this discussion is further evidence of Howe’s tactical flexibility within a system. 

16 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

And what about the sacrifice of attacking intent and pressing which that involves? 

This is what makes me laugh.

When the changes then completely stifle our attack and invite even more pressure because we're pinned back in our half, then they'll moan about that.

Think they have all the answers.

Just now, KaKa said:

When the changes then completely stifle our attack and invite even more pressure because we're pinned back in our half, then they'll moan about that.

From my point of view, it was more we have conceded 3 or more in 8 of the last 15 games (something along those lines). I wouldn’t have minded seeing a change in some of those games to help out a clearly struggling defence. Our injuries/fatigue have meant we can’t press as effectively as we did last season a switch to a low block may have helped.

47 minutes ago, KaKa said:

And looking at his approach to things it is very likely he will continue to learn and improve on things going forward.

This is not the calibre of manager or person to disregard so willy nilly.

Agree with the vast majority of your post.

To throw a little grenade in, though, sometimes I wonder/worry that his next major period of growth will come after he leaves us i.e. as a consequence of the deep reflection he'd undergo during his first real period of downtime since he joined us. Personally, I suspect he'd conclude he needs to be slightly less rigourously methodical in his approach to allow more serendipity in.

A sort of horrifically depressing catch 22 situation for us, basically :lol: Time will tell, obviously. My thinking may well be influenced by NUFC-related trauma!

I would like to find ways to expose him to other ways of doing things though, as kind of inverted sabbaticals. I get the impression much of his working life is based around trying to personally invent things himself, and it takes a major disruption to break that habit e.g. leaving Bournemouth.

I made a post a few weeks back where I said we needed to move to 4231, in order to have 2 players sitting. Bruno + 1 and have a Willock or whoever protecting them as the AM. Just to change the shape of our midfield trio.

There would be no need to change our pressing philosophy or attacking intent. 

Howe didn't do that, I'm sure he has his reasons. So there's a slight criticism of a man I adore.

Something like this:

Miley     Bruno

Miggy         Willock       Gordon

Isak

Obviously that was when Miley and Miggy were available.

Edited by STM

4 minutes ago, 80 said:

Agree with the vast majority of your post.

To throw a little grenade in, though, sometimes I wonder/worry that his next major period of growth will come after he leaves us i.e. as a consequence of the deep reflection he'd undergo during his first real period of downtime since he joined us. Personally, I suspect he'd conclude he needs to be slightly less rigourously methodical in his approach to allow more serendipity in.

A sort of horrifically depressing catch 22 situation for us, basically :lol: Time will tell, obviously. My thinking may well be influenced by NUFC-related trauma!

I would like to find ways to expose him to other ways of doing things though, as kind of inverted sabbaticals. I get the impression much of his working life is based around trying to personally invent things himself, and it takes a major disruption to break that habit e.g. leaving Bournemouth.

I think he'll definitely be doing this during the off-season, especially having faced some new and different challenges this season, with having had to balance the demands of European football for the first time. Can't see him resting on his laurels at all. 

Having an internal investigation into the medical/fitness side would be my starting point. Perhaps rotate the work load of players who've started the previous weekend?

After that, I'd want Eddie to come up with a serious plan B. Perhaps a legitimate DM who can sit in front of the back 4 and release Bruno or maybe a change of formation for tougher games.

33 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

You just asked how we keep up the pressing as if it was a reason for us not changing things up, then when it is pointed out to you that we don’t press effectively anymore you claim it shows Howe’s tactical flexibility by stopping us pressing.

No, you fucking dullard. I am saying that he is instructing us to press less because he’s having to adapt tactically to the personnel available and the levels of fatigue / physical possibility. 

It’s grating enough to read your incorrect analysis spouted like a hot take of concrete factual certainty, but you then take it to another level telling people what their points are when you’ve misunderstood in the first place.

Genuinely: you don’t have the brain or knowledge for this. 

Edited by Theregulars

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Once again, no one is saying he's perfect. And absolutely no manager is by the way.

The issue is the constant nit picking over everything and making out he's some sort of clueless idiot, which is the real issue here.

Despite his imperfections he's done great work and continues to do so despite some challenges this season. 

And looking at his approach to things it is very likely he will continue to learn and improve on things going forward.

This is not the calibre of manager or person to disregard so willy nilly.

Once again I don't see any evidence of this.

To finish the season, I'd like to see him go with this team:

GK: Dub (Pope replacing when fit)

LB: Hall

LCB: Burn

RCB: Schar

RB: Trippier

CM: Bruno

CM: Willock

CM: Anderson/Longstaff

LW: Barnes

ST: Isak

RW: Gordon

29 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Totally. For some reason they think us just easily slipping into a low block won't equal the Alamo 😂😂😂

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

Totally. For some reason they think us just easily slipping into a low block won't equal the Alamo 😂😂😂

We did it quite successfully against Wolves at home in fairness. 

10 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

No, you fucking dullard. I am saying that he is instructing us to press less because he’s having to adapt tactically to the personnel available and the levels of fatigue / physical possibility. 

It’s grating enough to read your incorrect analysis spouted like a hot take of concrete factual certainty, but you then take it to another level telling people what their points are when you’ve misunderstood in the first place.

Genuinely: you don’t have the brain or knowledge for this. 

You didn’t, you highlighted the issue with changing would impact our press when we don’t effectively press anymore. Anyone who watches us play with the basic understanding of football can see that we hardly press the opposition.

If you are in that much of a flap about it that the only thing you have left is name calling then maybe avoid anyone who has a different opinion to you going forward, especially when you struggle to articulate your point.

Right, I'm unlocking this in a bit, can I urge everyone to be respectful and tolerant of each other please. By all means debate things as that's the whole point of the place but there's no need to get personal or make people feel shit, it's not on. There's always going to be differences of opinions but there's no need to be a twat because you disagree. Play the ball, not the man please gentlemen :thup:

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Twitter rumours suggest Tino misses tomorrow, Miggy is going to be a bad one.

Might end another potential source of revenue if it means Miggy is out beyond the summer. He'll be on his final year of his contract by then. Not that I thought he was going to agree to a sale anyway.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

I think he'll definitely be doing this during the off-season, especially having faced some new and different challenges this season, with having had to balance the demands of European football for the first time. Can't see him resting on his laurels at all. 

I certainly don't think he rests on his laurels over the summer, far from it. But I'm not sure how much of that time is spent focusing on the hard realities of here and now - like new tactics for maximizing his players and finessing recovery periods between games - ahead of more abstract things affecting his fundamental approach to management - like to what extent should he seek to control all elements of a performance.

He's certainly capable of that reflection, he's already done it, but it's easy to default into old habits when placed under duress too.

Basically, what I'm saying is I could imagine him being what he is here already plus an extra 10% through standard hard work, but that there's scope for him to go up to another level as a manager if one or two things click in his mind. But there's a risk he might not give himself the time and space to let those things click if he's dutifully maximising the bread and butter issues all the time, and events (like our injury crisis) overtake him.