Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

24 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

It's crazy that this thread has become nearly as grim as it was in early 2022 when we were looking good for relegation.

I’m guilty of reactive takes, for sure. I was also being a bit tongue in cheek the other week when I said the media has it right about our fans. Too expectant and deluded.

But if this season is anything to go by. Certain fans really have lost all patience and have become unhappy off the back of a wonder season. Where we defied all expectations.  

Whilst there are plenty of valid criticisms. When you consider all of the injuries. We could still end up having a very good season, in the face of adversity and we’re not in a bad position.

6th-8th would have been decent enough even if we had most of our players available.

Edited by Lush Vlad

3 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Once again I don't see any evidence of this.

I think that's unfair, there is clear evidence of him learning and improving across time. There's no way I accept the idea that we lucked into having a good defence for 18 months, as I've heard some people float as an idea lately.

But it's not only positive on that score, and he's shown an inflexibility, particularly over the past 2-4 months. I think at times he lets the perfect be the enemy of the good, as the phrase goes, as he's fixated on trying to achieve the ultimate performance - he's reluctant to experiment with something before it's been carefully thought out and thoroughly tested in training.

Overall that's powerful, but it can entrench the bad as well as the good at time-critical moments.

Edited by 80

3 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Once again I don't see any evidence of this.

We've all heard him talk about the way he works and looks to continue to learn.

If that's not good enough for you then I don't know what to tell you.

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

I think that's unfair, there is clear evidence of him learning and improving across time. There's no way I accept the idea that we lucked into having a good defence for 18 months, as I've heard some people float as an idea lately. But it's not only positive on that score, and he's shown an inflexibility, particularly over the past 2-4 months.

I think at times he lets the perfect be the enemy of the good, as the phrase goes, as he's fixated on trying to achieve the ultimate performance - he's reluctant to experiment with something before it's been carefully thought out and thoroughly tested in training. Overall that's powerful, but it can entrench the bad as well as the good at time-critical moments.

Very fair take

7 minutes ago, 80 said:

I think that's unfair, there is clear evidence of him learning and improving across time. There's no way I accept the idea that we lucked into having a good defence for 18 months, as I've heard some people float as an idea lately. But it's not only positive on that score, and he's shown an inflexibility, particularly over the past 2-4 months.

I think at times he lets the perfect be the enemy of the good, as the phrase goes, as he's fixated on trying to achieve the ultimate performance - he's reluctant to experiment with something before it's been carefully thought out and thoroughly tested in training. Overall that's powerful, but it can entrench the bad as well as the good at time-critical moments.

I'm still trying to fathom out what the last paragraph is about.  Is it just waffle?

With Howe and his learning of lessons I get the feeling we won't see the main fruits of such learnings until the following season more often than not.

Whatever people's thoughts on him I don't think anyone in their right mind that would argue he isn't meticulous to a fault. So much so I imagine he's often going to be loathe to change what he spent a whole summer devising then drumming in to the team.

It's even more reason why I really am interested to see if he changes much/a lot about the makeup of the team going in to next season, whether it's personnel or tactics. 

15 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We've all heard him talk about the way he works and looks to continue to learn.

If that's not good enough for you then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not disputing the fact that he learns, I'm just saying we've got no evidence to suggest it's true. It's something I've read on here more than once and I can't understand how anyone has come to that conclusion based on the fact that last season we were mint and this season we've been quite disappointing on multiple occasions.

4 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I'm not disputing the fact that he learns, I'm just saying we've got no evidence to suggest it's true. It's something I've read on here more than once and I can't understand how anyone has come to that conclusion based on the fact that last season we were mint and this season we've been quite disappointing on multiple occasions.

Does it honestly need explaining AGAIN?

10 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Despite everything that has been said in this thread you're still talking about being confused about why we were mint last season and now we are not?

Someone even posted a graph that showed at the start of this season we were on track with last season prior to losing key personnel.

And still you can't get your head around things? 

It's as simple as were not good anymore so the manager isn't learning?!

This is somewhat terrifying man.

Edited by KaKa

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Despite everything that has been said in this thread you're still talking about being confused about why we were mint last season and now we are not?

Someone even posted a graph that showed at the start of this season we were on track with last season prior to losing key personnel.

Completely missed the point. We've obviously been massively hampered by injuries ffs 🤣

36 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I’m massively pro Howe. But there’s been times this season, such as Gordon playing 30 minutes after looking absolutely fucked on multiple occasions, where he should have played even a kid to manage potential injuries. 

And I don’t think he rotated as well as he could have whenever he had the options to. Howe would admit himself he likes to keep the same team if he can, which is viable without all the extra comps. 

I’m sure we can attribute atleast some of the personnel losses/reinjuries down to squad management. However a chunk were just unlucky or standard for any season.

He’s the right manager for the job IMO. But I’d like him to improve on that, just like I’d like any player to improve a specific skill. 

having said that, 98% of managers are stubborn. So I can’t hold it against him. 

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

where he should have played even a kid to manage potential injuries. 

That's just not how Premier League football works man. :lol: 

Unfortunately most of our youngsters wouldn’t cut it even in league 2.

One would expect this to improve over time, but it will take a few years i reckon.

May have missed this somewhere further back, but did he get booked for simply running down the touchline a bit when the winner went in?

11 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

That's just not how Premier League football works man. :lol: 

Agreed, although there were games such as spurs and Everton away where the game was completely gone and we still didn’t see changes. Just get some of the players off the pitch for a bit at that point imo.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

May have missed this somewhere further back, but did he get booked for simply running down the touchline a bit when the winner went in?

As far as anyone can tell, yes. Ludicrous.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agreed, although there were games such as spurs and Everton away where the game was completely gone and we still didn’t see changes. Just get some of the players off the pitch for a bit at that point imo.

Like how the game was completely gone on Saturday?

And just took a look at the scoreline for both of those matches and Everton didn't score their first goal until almost the 80th minute. 

Just now, cubaricho said:

Like how the game was completely gone on Saturday?

And just took a look at the scoreline for both of those matches and Everton didn't score their first goal until almost the 80th minute. 

We physically weren’t getting back into those games though, aye in fairness you are right about the Everton one. Could also mention the games we were winning comfortably against Sheff Utd and Palace earlier in the season. All the main players stayed on longer than necessary. Only a small criticism but one in hindsight I think he may have done things differently.

25 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

I’m massively pro Howe. But there’s been times this season, such as Gordon playing 30 minutes after looking absolutely fucked on multiple occasions, where he should have played even a kid to manage potential injuries. 

And I don’t think he rotated as well as he could have whenever he had the options to. Howe would admit himself he likes to keep the same team if he can, which is viable without all the extra comps. 

I’m sure we can attribute atleast some of the personnel losses/reinjuries down to squad management. However a chunk were just unlucky or standard for any season.

He’s the right manager for the job IMO. But I’d like him to improve on that, just like I’d like any player to improve a specific skill. 

having said that, 98% of managers are stubborn. So I can’t hold it against him. 

Yes, completely fair.

The unfortunate thing is the way people talk about his decisions as if he's a complete idiot, and as though most other managers don't do the same sort of things.

There's for sure stuff for him to learn from and improve on. Judging from his character and commitment, I am quite confident he will do so.

In the current heat of battle in the middle of the season though, I have accepted that his preference is not to try and rock the boat too much, because he clearly believes we will be worse off for it, and at the end of the day he has the most information to be able to make that call.

21 minutes ago, 80 said:

As far as anyone can tell, yes. Ludicrous.

Doesn’t appear that Wilder got booked for doing similar but also booting one of the spare balls into orbit?

It’s either a rule or it’s not.

15 hours ago, KaKa said:

You've gone from pulling random one off images from games, which can be done for any team to now switching the narrative.

So from these graphs you tell me what that sudden switch in our xg against midway through this season coincided with, because up until then we were on track with what we were doing last season, which was comparable to the almighty Man City you worship, despite clueless Eddie playing the evil Dan Burn.

I wonder if it had anything to do with Joelinton and Pope no longer being available like I mentioned in the first place.

Obviously defensive structure and xG performance is related? I think finding that level of defensive dysfunction is rare. 

You’re attributing views to me that are not mine. I like Howe and I am mostly neutral on Burn. Do I think Nick Pope and Joelinton should be / are the difference between a great defense and what we have witnessed now? No. Do I think they matter? Yes. 

Edited by Jagten

I looked at December as being a congested month and January as difficult fixtures, but from February onwards we had a favourable run in for the rest of the season with only a few difficult games.

I think it is fair to say our performances have been mixed since then, with a great result at the end of March against Villa which was unexpected.

What I want to see from Howe between now and the end of the season is some consistency in both performances and results, as even with players out we should still be beating the majority of the team below. It isn’t as if they can play their best eleven every week either.

Newcastle 4-4 Luton 🤝

Forest 2-3 Newcastle

Newcastle 2-2 Bournemouth 🤝 

Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle  

Newcastle 3-0 Wolves  

Chelsea 3-2 Newcastle  

Newcastle 4-3 West Ham

Newcastle - Everton
Fulham - Newcastle

Newcastle - Spurs

Crystal Palace - Newcastle

Newcastle - Sheffield United

Burnley - Newcastle

Newcastle - Brighton

Brentford - Newcastle

We also have the rearranged game away to Man Utd to drop in.

22 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

It's crazy that this thread has become nearly as grim as it was in early 2022 when we were looking good for relegation.

It’s absolutely shameful tbh and there’ll be a lot worse out there from our lot.