Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

This was it for me, these players aren't good/confident on the ball and always need an extra touch or 10 to line up a pass, any kind of pressure and they crumble, Palace played a blinder.

Palace were the better team on the night and deserved the win.  I don't think "they played a blinder".

4 minutes ago, Rod said:

Palace were the better team on the night and deserved the win.  I don't think "they played a blinder".

So are you agreeing with me and disagreeing with me in the same post?

Screenshot_20240424_232006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dreadful from Howe. This play the same team that won the last game is such a basic philosophy. Totally different styles of play we were up against and a far superior technician in Eze who we let run the show without his wingman Olise.

53 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

So are you agreeing with me and disagreeing with me in the same post?

Screenshot_20240424_232006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Playing well is not the same as ‘playing a blinder’ tbf.  Palace played well, but it wasn’t an amazing display of skill

11 minutes ago, TRC said:

Dreadful from Howe. This play the same team that won the last game is such a basic philosophy. Totally different styles of play we were up against and a far superior technician in Eze who we let run the show without his wingman Olise.

Judging by his comments after the game he was clearly not impressed by the way our play was executed today.

Just because we lined up the same way, doesn't necessarily mean the instructions and approach was supposed to be exactly the same.

Howe has previously talked about having specific plans for every game, and we can never really know what tactics were discussed beforehand if the players fail to execute.

Cant blame him to much with the players that were on the field. 5 of them are championsship standard at best.

No idea why he would revert to Burn on LB though, it clearly worked out alot better with him at CB. 

I think our starting shape was weird. Guess we tried to match their formations, but we really couldn't get away from their press. Isak was way too isolated and was too far away from Gordon. Barnes was useless in this kind of game. Sadly we have pretty much 0 options in midfield.

edit. I don't think Burn was LB. We clearly had 3 CBs, Murphy right WB and Anderson played as a left WB a lot. Is Tino still injured? Surely he would have been a better option than Murphy or Krafth?

Edited by KingArthur

2 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I think our starting shape was weird. Guess we tried to match their formations, but we really couldn't get away from their press. Isak was way too isolated and was too far away from Gordon. Barnes was useless in this kind of game. Sadly we have pretty much 0 options in midfield.

Need to put some blame on the players though. Far too many of them have seen the likes of Joelinton, Bruno, and Isak get very close to their man before passing it or going past them. A lot of our players seem to think that they can do that ask well and spend far too long on the ball. There are simple passes open and they either run into trouble, wait to be closed down, or make the pass to the player who has 1 or 2 markers on him.

It has been a consistent occurrence in our defeats. We get so giddy from having a good win previously and seem to think that we are world beaters.

There is no need to not be making the simple pass to retain possession, there is no need for Schar to pass back to the goalkeeper when every other player for us is in front of him and we have been pressing Palace, there is no need for Dubravka once he’s got that pass to keep a hold of it until their attacker is a foot away from him.

It’s simple fucking stuff that even us on Reds vs Blues don’t do.

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Need to put some blame on the players though. Far too many of them have seen the likes of Joelinton, Bruno, and Isak get very close to their man before passing it or going past them. A lot of our players seem to think that they can do that ask well and spend far too long on the ball. There are simple passes open and they either run into trouble, wait to be closed down, or make the pass to the player who has 1 or 2 markers on him.

It has been a consistent occurrence in our defeats. We get so giddy from having a good win previously and seem to think that we are world beaters.

There is no need to not be making the simple pass to retain possession, there is no need for Schar to pass back to the goalkeeper when every other player for us is in front of him and we have been pressing Palace, there is no need for Dubravka once he’s got that pass to keep a hold of it until their attacker is a foot away from him.

It’s simple fucking stuff that even us on Reds vs Blues don’t do.

Yes, players are partly to blame of course.

The point of that holding the ball is of course to lure the opposition to break their formation, but when it's Longstaff or Murphy, it really doesn't work like that. Bruno can do that and Schär perhaps. Or Burn, who can only pass with his left. 

Krafth especially (lost the ball for the first goal btw) was awful in possession. He really didn't do anything but play it to Murphy, who was facing his own goal and sometimes marked by 2 players. Longstaff should have made a run to right wing in these cases (something he did last year) but was nowhere to be seen. When we got near to opponents box, we were way too sloppy with the final pass.

Palace seemed to use Krafth and Schär as pressing triggers, and were happy to let Burn keep the ball (and pass it to whoever was on his left side, cause that is what he does)

27 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Cant blame him to much with the players that were on the field. 5 of them are championsship standard at best.

No idea why he would revert to Burn on LB though, it clearly worked out alot better with him at CB. 

I don't think Ayew, Will Hughes Clyne etc are much better tbh. Blaming the same players who have turned up last few games and calling them championship standard is lazy - the tactics were wrong from the first minute

I was disappointed not to see Livramento start at RB and while I think Howe got it wrong in terms of how he set the team up he was let down by the players last night who were god awful in possession. Team was out thought and out fought by Palace. 

8 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

Didn't watch or listen to it. Sounds like we were really poor. How did Howe set the team up????

We got the tactics wrong from the start, the players looked like they have just runned a marathon the day before. We were slow in everything we did.. You did the right thing to not watch or listen to the game yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, Begbie said:

We got the tactics wrong from the start, the players looked like they have just runned a marathon the day before. We were slow in everything we did.. You did the right thing to not watch or listen to the game yesterday. 

This - the biggest issue I have away from home is our lack of ability to keep the ball - at home we have a style, it works, away from home we look all at sea - there are certain players we carry who aren’t good enough 

6 minutes ago, Mikky said:

This - the biggest issue I have away from home is our lack of ability to keep the ball - at home we have a style, it works, away from home we look all at sea - there are certain players we carry who aren’t good enough 

There’s also been a few times where we’ve had a good break and rest and still turned up and been crap in the next game.

29 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

There’s also been a few times where we’ve had a good break and rest and still turned up and been crap in the next game.

I feel like it happened last season. We all thought a break or back to one game a week would do us a favour. As Howe is supposedly so good on the training pitch. But we often looked flat and disjointed. Might be imagining that, mind. 

From an injuries point of view. The break came at a good time. But not for momentum. Palace looked so confident and up for it last night. We were a shell or our usual selves. Reminded me of all the dreadful performances in December and January in one way or another. 

Tino only on the bench in case of an emergency (Ankle still injured) so obviously understandable why he didn’t play. It is strange that he bought him on during the Spurs game when we where winning comfortably though.

49 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I know other teams manage it with so called lesser players. But I feel like a team with only Schar and Bruno being comfortable on the ball deep or in our first two thirds of the pitch. Is always going to struggle. Anderson tried, but it was not his night at all. Couldn’t get to grips with pace of it and seemed unsure about where he was supposed to be playing. 

I found the insistence to try and pass round the press mind blowingly stupid. So much of last night felt self-inflicted. 

It gave them something to build on, it put the weaker players in our team under pressure from the first minute and it got their crowd right up for it. In some ways, very similar to what we do to teams at SJP when they continually try and play out. 

No surprise our three best performances of the league season have been against teams playing kamikaze high lines which we can exploit (Villa twice and Spurs)

So disappointed in the performance and tactics last night

We really lack technically competent players and yet both Hall and Livramento are among the best technicians at the club and yet they hardly play.

I worry if Eddie gets his way in the transfer market that he'll continue to prioritize athletes over more technical players.

57 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Yeah I totally agree. You could argue that we are playing with our 2nd/3rd choices at many positions and thats why they cant keep the ball. But I think we lack the intensity to win the ball back and put press on teams, I would have thought our 2nd/3rd choices would run their asses off to try to become 1st team players. 

Back four set up was flawed imo, can't accept that we'd be any weaker with Hall starting at lb and Burn cb. That said it's not on Eddie that it was a struggle for them to execute a simple pass under a bit of pressure. can't wait for the return of Trippier, he brings so much in the way of creativity and organisation.

Burn at left back means we always have a cracking chance of getting beat. I cannot see the the reasoning behind Howe’s thinking on this. Especially after he’s put in some solid performances at CB.
Another baffling team set up that ended in yet another predictable away defeat. 

I think our defence are petrified to pass it back to Dubs, it really showed last night where we needed an "extra" man at the back (keeper) and it was just not there. he is dog with the ball at his feet and makes our job a lot harder if we don´t have that extra outlet...

When receiving a pass his control of the ball makes him need the extra half second and then his weight on the passes :jones:.

Oh well... come on Popey! get well soon!