Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

He probably needs a trophy next season. Conference or league cup will do.

Depends on injuries... 😅

19 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

He probably needs a trophy next season. Conference or league cup will do.

I don't think that's necessarily the case assuming we don't have carte blanche in terms of transfers, and providing that we maintain our challenge to the top six. However, I do agree that there's almost a bit of a line in the sand after his first three seasons here. It's a new chapter and there's probably going to be more justified pressure if things aren't going great. 

Season 1, pretty low expectations and a job very well done. 

Season 2, expectations exceeded by lightyears. 

Season 3, stacks of credit in the bank and, if we finish 6th, any reasonable expectations again exceeded. 

Season 4, expectations probably very high. 

Eddie Howe will become our own Fergie over the next 20 years beginning with the FA Cup and Europa Cup next season ...stick with him he is such a good coach and motivator... 👍

There’s a reason Eales said the goal is to establish the club in the top 6, and he means off the pitch as much as on it. There are levels within that group, but for the most part if you’re there then you’re a series of coinflips from winning anything.

We’re not there and, frankly, we’re not all that close financially speaking. But for 2.5 seasons now we are there on the pitch and that’s mostly down to one man.

So if your expectations are a trophy or a top 4 finish then you need to realize those expectations are based on over two years of overachieving. Over two years of Eddie Howe distorting the perception of where NUFC sits in the current pecking order.

7 hours ago, STM said:

They also don't specifically say they would sack him, they don't have the guts for it and they also don't given an alternative.

I can think of a couple of bizarre alternatives. Mourinho, and the alternating coach thing. But I honestly don't think that he actually believed it when he suggested the latter either, which he basically said later.

9 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Top 6 with the injuries we’ve had would be very respectable. Just leaves you wondering where we could have been if it weren’t for that handful of absolutely sloppy games where we should have been better.

What should the target be for next season?

Finishing sixth this season would be outstanding. Target next season is European qualification and a trophy. Variety of each dependent on our transfer investment. 

Next year’s targets: a semi-final in Europe. Top 6. Deep run in a domestic cup. 

In dreamworld we’d win the Carabao Cup which gives us a boost to go on and win the Europa League. If I’m being really greedy, we avenge Manure in Carabao final!

3 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I can think of a couple of bizarre alternatives. Mourinho, and the alternating coach thing. But I honestly don't think that he actually believed it when he suggested the latter either, which he basically said later.

I don’t think you quite understand what I meant by that or you just assumed something and ran with it.

I was never talking about hiring a new coach every two years.

What I meant was having someone, just for example sake.. someone like Rafa Benitez who could sit in a technical role.

Then at a point, I did say 2 years but I didn’t necessarily mean a 2 year rotation every time, what I meant was.. when the coach starts having burn out, that there’s someone who can step in and won’t upset the flow of things. Let the manager go off and recharge for a season.. do some learning like what Howe did when he was unemployed.

It was never about removing Howe from the setup, it was always about giving him the best chance for a much longer term project.

6 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I don’t think you quite understand what I meant by that or you just assumed something and ran with it.

I was never talking about hiring a new coach every two years.

What I meant was having someone, just for example sake.. someone like Rafa Benitez who could sit in a technical role.

Then at a point, I did say 2 years but I didn’t necessarily mean a 2 year rotation every time, what I meant was.. when the coach starts having burn out, that there’s someone who can step in and won’t upset the flow of things. Let the manager go off and recharge for a season.. do some learning like what Howe did when he was unemployed.

It was never about removing Howe from the setup, it was always about giving him the best chance for a much longer term project.

This is not helping your argument at all, man. :lol: 

Once again, I don’t think you understand human psychology, particularly with people used to pulling the strings.

10 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Definitely not tough to please. Supported this team so long I’ve seen it all. We’re in good times and it’s brilliant supporting the club the last few years. You look forward to each weekend now with a real hope that we’ll keep pushing forward collectively.

That doesn’t mean I can’t be critical of mistakes that happen, or poor performances. If Eddie Howe is as critical of himself he’ll have thought or said the same things that posters on here have said.

We went to shit defensively earlier on season and that was a real concern, he looks to have stabilised things but when I say rebuild I mean Botman missing for a large portion. Potentially majority of season.

Burn is not a long term solution.

Lascelles same boat injury wise.

Trippier was showing signs of slowing down this season. Let’s see how he is when he’s back but he may well be a candidate for moving on.

We may need 2-4 players to come in to cover all those positions.

So yeah, a rebuild of sorts.

Agree on Burn.  But even with a small sample size, he has been one of our best performers since moving to CB?  

Lascelles was what, 3rd possibly 4th choice CB in most people's eyes at the start of the season?  We were always going to look to replace him or push him further down the pecking order. 

Trippier - good job we brought Livramento, then.  Trippier being rotated and given a rest or used more tactically isn't a bad thing.

So we needed one centre back in, anyway.  Now we need two.  Say we do manage to get Tosin and Kelly on free transfers (or similar players that don't cost a fortuner) and spend decent money on 1-2 other positions, such as RW and/or striker.  Then the squad looks miles better already without a 'rebuild of sorts'.  

Obviously if we lose someone like Bruno or Isak, then it doesn't. 

14 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Should be noted too that he says “I’ve never thought of international for me” just to put to bed those stupid rumors. 

Hasnt stopped the mediocre UK press still talking about it in todays papers mind.

Also some have run with the narrative that despite heavy investment Howe has failed compared to last season. Completely ignoring the huge factors that make this seasons acheivements actually brilliant with a tiny chance of absolutely incredible. Not one word in several write ups mention injuries, just lack of consistency ffs

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Eddie Howe will become our own Fergie over the next 20 years beginning with the FA Cup and Europa Cup next season ...stick with him he is such a good coach and motivator... 👍

We will never see a manager as successful at Fergie again, at least Man U gave him the time to develope.

I have a vague idea he did nowt for a few years and was on his way out when they won an FA cup, the rest is history.

He did have the ability to see positives in players that others couldn't and to create a team that was greater than the sum of its individuals, something I think Eddie has too.

I hope if we have a falling off of results for a single season our owners have enough nous not to panic and join the revolving door managerial approach.

I would give Howe another 4 seasons minimum, especially given the changes to the rules designed to keep us where they think we belong.

Edited by Sid

Just now, Sid said:

While we will never see a manager as successful at Fergie again, at least Man U gave him the time to developed.

I have a vague idea he did nowt for a few years and was on his way out when they won an FA cup, the rest is history.

He did have the ability to see positives in players that others couldn't and to create a team that was greater than the sum of its individuals, something I think Eddie has too.

I hope if we have a falling off of results for a single season our owners have enough nous not to panic and join the revolving door managerial approach.

I would give Howe another 4 seasons minimum, especially given the changes to the rules designed to keep us where they think we belong.

Ferguson achieved miracles at Aberdeen too - that bought him a lot of credit. His position in British football was far greater than Eddie's.

Finishing 6th would be a great achievement. I've been critical of Eddie at times but finishing 6th under these circumstances would be another superb season. I would consider 8th as par. 

Last time we had consecutive top 6 finishes was 2004. Not to mention our relegation escape in his first season which was nothing short of miraculous given the position Cabbagehead left us in. People need a little perspective.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

Last time we had consecutive top 6 finishes was 2004. Not to mention our relegation escape in his first season which was nothing short of miraculous given the position Cabbagehead left us in. People need a little perspective.

We’ve had ‘four in a row’ top six finishes once:

1993-94 (3rd), 1994-95 (6th), 1995-96 (2nd), 1997-98 (2nd).

Three in a row once: 

2001-02 (4th), 2002-03 (3rd), and 2003-04 (5th). 

Would be fantastic for 2023-24 to be the second of a record breaking run. 

For comparison:

Man City will have 11 in a row this season. 
Man Utd will hopefully not add to their current six in a row (30/31 top six finishes thus far).  
Arsenal will have three in a row (28/32). 
Liverpool will have eight in a row (26/32). 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

9 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

This is not helping your argument at all, man. :lol: 

Once again, I don’t think you understand human psychology, particularly with people used to pulling the strings.

People said the same thing about having Sports Directors over managers once upon a time. Rotating first team players more often than injury or form demanded, too. What he said was very strange but it's not as ridiculous as you're making it sound.

It's dystopian, but if multiclub models became more entrenched, I could even see groups moving managers between their clubs like corporations move employees between departments.

That top reply says it all really; when you compare those stats with the squads that the other two guys inherited compared to the one Eddie inherited, it confirms the class and talent that Eddie has. 

9 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

That top reply says it all really; when you compare those stats with the squads that the other two guys inherited compared to the one Eddie inherited, it confirms the class and talent that Eddie has. 

What? Surely you can't mean that bloke that got Bournemouth relegated from the Premier League!

(The utter crassness of the fat fucking charlatan that press buddies claim is a nice bloke.)

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

We’ve had ‘four in a row’ top six finishes once:

1993-94 (3rd), 1994-95 (6th), 1995-96 (2nd), 1997-98 (2nd).

Three in a row once: 

2001-02 (4th), 2002-03 (3rd), and 2003-04 (5th). 

Would be fantastic for 2023-24 to be the second of a record breaking run. 

For comparison:

Man City will have 11 in a row this season. 
Man Utd will hopefully not add to their current six in a row (30/31 top six finishes thus far).  
Arsenal will have three in a row (28/32). 
Liverpool will have eight in a row (26/32). 

I don't think it's ever been harder to finish in the top 4 or 6 either.

I believe the only two clubs outside the big 6 to have consecutive top 6 finishes since Man City emerged are Leicester (2019-21; 5th / 5th) and Everton (2012-14; 6th / 6th).

Maybe even more incredible (and something I didn't realize last season) is we're the only club outside of the big 6 other than Leicester in their title winning season to qualify for the Champions League since City's takeover. Everton in 2004/05 the only other one since Roman's takeover.  

Edited by timeEd32

53 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I don't think it's ever been harder to finish in the top 4 or 6 either.

I believe the only two clubs outside the big 6 to have consecutive top 6 finishes since Man City emerged are Leicester (2019-21; 5th / 5th) and Everton (2012-14; 6th / 6th).

Maybe even more incredible (and something I didn't realize last season) is we're the only club outside of the big 6 other than Leicester in their title winning season to qualify for the Champions League since City's takeover. Everton in 2004/05 the only other one since Roman's takeover.  

Villa will surely finish in the top 4 this season.